DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

pd stuff

mossly

desc: allow mayor (and chief) to demote cops

reason: people will switch to job abuse and leave doors open if they get pissy with the mayor, resulting in mayor death or all pd members just giving up out of frustration.

not only would it cut down on reports (why report them when you can "fire" them), it makes RP sense as the mayor is the boss of the officers. this would also allow for fun things like 

mayor and officer disagree>officer fired>former officer then raids the PD to enact revenge 

Edited by mossly
added chief to demote list

+1: The amount of mayors that have died because of a faulty police force is enormous, especially when the police officers act maliciously against the mayor. Like xFish just said, I'm afraid that some mayors will abuse this but usually the people who play as a mayor are not minges. I think that this could be a good addition however the police chief shouldn't be allowed to demote cops, only the mayor should be the one to do it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • DarkRP Administration Team

+1

This is a pretty good idea, it makes sense for the Mayor to be in charge and ensure that the police are following their guidance and could really boost the overall dynamic of the PD as a whole.

My only input would be to clearly define what's acceptable as reasoning for a demotion? In other words is it totally down to the Mayors discretion, or does there need to be sufficient reason for demotion? If there needs to be a reason, how can it be logged for the purpose of FailRP reports? And if it's totally the Mayors discretion then how do we identify someone who's abusing the powers?

As Smileeface said, there would need to be some kind of timer to prevent the same person from joining straight back again which makes a lot of sense, and ideally this would be in terms of preventing them from joining the job as opposed to a rule if possible.

I also feel that the Police Cheif should somehow be involved in this, maybe not as the one to demote necessarily, but given that they are literally the Police Cheif, it makes sense for them to have a say in what's going on with their officers or risk becoming a redundant class. What if (just an idea) the Police Cheif and Mayor must both agree to demote someone in order for it to happen, to avoid potential abuse? If there isn't a Police Cheif then the Mayor could still act alone perhaps? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ChrisRid said:

+1

This is a pretty good idea, it makes sense for the Mayor to be in charge and ensure that the police are following their guidance and could really boost the overall dynamic of the PD as a whole.

My only input would be to clearly define what's acceptable as reasoning for a demotion? In other words is it totally down to the Mayors discretion, or does there need to be sufficient reason for demotion? If there needs to be a reason, how can it be logged for the purpose of FailRP reports? And if it's totally the Mayors discretion then how do we identify someone who's abusing the powers?

As Smileeface said, there would need to be some kind of timer to prevent the same person from joining straight back again which makes a lot of sense, and ideally this would be in terms of preventing them from joining the job as opposed to a rule if possible.

I also feel that the Police Cheif should somehow be involved in this, maybe not as the one to demote necessarily, but given that they are literally the Police Cheif, it makes sense for them to have a say in what's going on with their officers or risk becoming a redundant class. What if (just an idea) the Police Cheif and Mayor must both agree to demote someone in order for it to happen, to avoid potential abuse? If there isn't a Police Cheif then the Mayor could still act alone perhaps? 

Straight up mayor's discretion; if the mayor wants to run a fascist hellhole and you want to be a nice cop, he can fire you for not being on board with ideology. Of course, if a mayor abuses this, it is a fast track to being killed; you can't enforce laws with no one to defend you, and people won't be loyal to someone they think will just throw them in the trash. I agree with your point re: police chief input, considering that if the mayor had major issues with the chief they could also be demoted.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

logo.png.e5b1f1407eab24395fffa930c7633c12.png

Your suggestion has been Accepted.

Please note that accepted suggestions will not necessarily be implemented into the server, but rather forked over to the development team for a second opinion, at which point they are free to choose between implementation or not.

• Agree 1