Rules and Definitions Suggestions

Twisty

7 hours ago, Gl1tch said:

if your white and get offended by "cracker" kindly fuck off, best regards

~Gl1tch

Stay frosty

Did you read my edit? Doesnt rlly sound like it

7 hours ago, hooboododoMartian said:

I think we are being consistent in banning people. If you say something that’s widely considered offensive, there should be consequences. Like I said in my earlier post on here, we don’t ban words based off of whether or not they’re “offensive by definition.” We ban them based on the whether people consider the word offensive. In that way we are being consistent.

I understand where you are coming from but that basically means that if our player base didnt care about the n word then we wouldnt punish it, regardless if its offensive and derogatory.

• DarkRP Administration Team
6 hours ago, Twisty said:

Did you read my edit? Doesnt rlly sound like it

I understand where you are coming from but that basically means that if our player base didnt care about the n word then we wouldnt punish it, regardless if its offensive and derogatory.

Yes exactly, but people do care.

• Agree 1
12 hours ago, Criteria said:

I’m not going to give a -1 nor +1 because people have their different opinions on getting called a cracker and what not but personally i do not so i will respect others opinions but personally for me i don’t which is why i will not be giving a + nor - 1

Well said… Salt

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, hooboododoMartian said:

Yes exactly, but people do care.

I think that the position you are taking is absolutely valid, but I also want to push it a bit further; Hopefully I can get this right, you say that if someone uses a word that is offensive and someone reports this you will take action against it, but there has to be a "victim" or reporter for you to initiate any punishment, you also said that certain words are not allowed on the server because of the image that these portray.

The use of any racial slur is completely unnecessary especially if you want to create the most friendly space possible for new players to stay, even if most players are not actively reporting this everyone understands the implications of these words regardless of them not offended by these, besides, I cant think of any situation where using any racial slur is useful to communicate anything whatsoever (Aside from jokes). Im committed to the idea that these words are just hateful from the purpose of them and because they dont bring any value or benefit to the community, they shouldnt have a place in our community.

• Like 2
  • Spicy 1
  • Informative 1
1 hour ago, Wendoly said:

I think that the position you are taking is absolutely valid, but I also want to push it a bit further; Hopefully I can get this right, you say that if someone uses a word that is offensive and someone reports this you will take action against it, but there has to be a "victim" or reporter for you to initiate any punishment, you also said that certain words are not allowed on the server because of the image that these portray.

The use of any racial slur is completely unnecessary especially if you want to create the most friendly space possible for new players to stay, even if most players are not actively reporting this everyone understands the implications of these words regardless of them not offended by these, besides, I cant think of any situation where using any racial slur is useful to communicate anything whatsoever (Aside from jokes). Im committed to the idea that these words are just hateful from the purpose of them and because they dont bring any value or benefit to the community, they shouldnt have a place in our community.

I wasn't trying to say that if someone is offended by a word it should be banned. What I was saying was that if a word is widely considered offensive it should be banned. I agree that racial slurs aren't useful for anything besides jokes, but I think people should be allowed to make those jokes, as long as the slur in question isn't one that is widely considered incredibly offensive. The word cracker shouldn't hold the same amount of power as other racial slurs. The word cracker has been used to tease white people on twitter. Most other racial slurs have been used throughout history in an extremely disgusting way. Wanting to ban cracker jokes just feels so silly to me.

• Agree 3
Just now, hooboododoMartian said:

I wasn't trying to say that if someone is offended by a word it should be banned. What I was saying was that if a word is widely considered offensive it should be banned. I agree that racial slurs aren't useful for anything besides jokes, but I think people should be allowed to make those jokes, as long as the slur in question isn't one that is widely considered incredibly offensive. The word cracker shouldn't hold the same amount of power as other racial slurs. The word cracker has been used to tease white people on twitter. Most other racial slurs have been used throughout history in an extremely disgusting way. Wanting to ban cracker jokes just feels so silly to me.

The same people who are upset by cracker are the ones who just want to say the n word.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

I think I will be repeating myself here but yes, if you are using these words for a joke or anything not ill-intended in a public manner it's ok, but outside that I want to keep a consistency for the sake of the server's image.

And then again you're focusing on the word cracker when I didnt talk about that specific word. You said "wasn't trying to say that if someone is offended by a word it should be banned." but this is the point that I am trying to make, at least for words that are outright hateful by definition. Im not trying to ban all insults just any ethnical/racial slurs like the post suggests.

Since I think your position revolves around this criteria, I would like to know why the nature of a slur is irrelevant for you to oppose to ban it, and how many people are needed to ban the usage of a racial slur when the goal is to make the community look better.

• Winner 1

I don’t think it’s about the amount of people it would take to ban a word/slur, but the ratio of people who are/aren’t offended by it. If the majority of people are upset by something, that’s probably something we should respect. However, if a few people here and there are going to be upset by a joke that the many people are going to think is funny, I don’t think that’s an issue, nor do I think it’s going to damage the server’s reputation. While the nature of a slur is to be offensive, the nature of a lot of things is to be offensive. Calling someone stupid is almost always used in an offensive way. I think instead of looking at whether or not something is a slur we should look at the effects of the word/phrase itself. I think we might just have to agree to disagree on this one though. I think we both understand each others thoughts on it but I don’t think you’re going to move me on this and I don’t think I’ll be able to move you, which is totally fine. I also wasn’t trying to get into a debate on slurs lol. I don’t realllyyy care whether or not we ban any of the words suggested in this topic but I wanted to voice my thoughts. It was an interesting convo though! 

• Like 2

I appreciate the back and forth even thought I would've liked more engagement on my questions, but yeah overall I also dont care that much about slurs I have no dog in this fight and in contrast with what glitch said this discussion can only do good that's why I defended the suggestion, but at least we both voiced our opinions.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wendoly said:

I appreciate the back and forth even thought I would've liked more engagement on my questions, but yeah overall I also dont care that much about slurs I have no dog in this fight and in contrast with what glitch said this discussion can only do good that's why I defended the suggestion, but at least we both voiced our opinions.

Wen come back i miss you

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 except for stuff like cracker

It is fucking embarassing to have the amount of people we have just barely skirting racism as a "funny joke because they didn't say an actual slur"

I think we should crack down on people who's entire bit is "look how xenophobic/racist and edgy I am"

• Creative 1
  • 1 month later...

Accepted
This has already been discussed within the staff team and the rules will be adjusted to appropriately implement a version of this

Thank you for taking the time to make this suggestion!
(Be aware, this post does not mean your suggestion will make it into the game,
rather it will be moved and sorted into a list to be worked on and possibly implemented in a future update.)