DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Security Cameras

Shifty John

Description: Allow the use of security cameras as a entity needed for purchase that could be tied to one of the monitor props you can spawn in, or fix the material tool option where you can have one is the input and output for the vision. 

Reasoning: I think this would be a good way to increase roleplay and interaction on the server as there are many variety of jobs which it could enhance a rp situation. As a Gun shop owner mainly, I could have one to monitor the lobby or the immediate outside of my shop. Which would make it safer for me to make higher value trades, specially if there was no security guards or mercenaries on. Ontop of that, it could be displayed in the lobby itself much like how you see at supermarkets as you walk in. It would help the customers feel safer as they entered and left the shop. 

I would have a way to be able to legally either prop block the camera or destroy it if you were raiding so those inside would have no vision to help determine the exact location of the raiders. 

Edited by Shifty John
grammar
  • Disagree 2

I recall a bit of a bug where this had happened during the Halloween event, where certain monitors would render the CCTV on the corner of PD and Cinema on some monitors and update every 30-60 minutes. I'm not a coder but I think this would probably cause some instability of the server in addition to this mostly trying to be closer to a vanilla server. 

I do have to disagree with some things you've stated here as well. I don't see how a CCTV can make it easier to make deals or enhance any RP situation. You see someone outside your base or in your lobby and?..  I see no real value to having these, you can already know if someone is breaking in by using lights & fading doors so I see no reason to use these. 

6 hours ago, 1998Corolla said:

I recall a bit of a bug where this had happened during the Halloween event, where certain monitors would render the CCTV on the corner of PD and Cinema on some monitors and update every 30-60 minutes. I'm not a coder but I think this would probably cause some instability of the server in addition to this mostly trying to be closer to a vanilla server. 

I do have to disagree with some things you've stated here as well. I don't see how a CCTV can make it easier to make deals or enhance any RP situation. You see someone outside your base or in your lobby and?..  I see no real value to having these, you can already know if someone is breaking in by using lights & fading doors so I see no reason to use these. 

Well it would be fun for aesthetics besides just the prop for it for shops. A working camera. I mean I could have a gun range attached to my store too if I had that to show off people trying weapons they bought in the lobby. I could work with a DJ and some of the prostitutes models and they could be in a safe room and essentially dance and be music videos playing on the tv in the shop. Does the pd have cameras inside of the jail cells so people can monitor the cells without having to be physically there. Hotel manager and his security team could have some on the floors as the roof is easy to break into. Club owner could have one in the club.  And with the fact that you couldn't carry it around with you, you would have to sit in your base anyway to watch it so it wouldn't really give much of a advantage on alerting if you were out.  I would just use the one material that is already just a bunch of still camera images but it never works right as it gets stretched on the props I would want to be the display. You could make it that only the PD, dealers, bankers, hotel manager, and club owners can own them as it would be something those locations would actually use irl. 

Now yeah if it is causing the server to crash then yeah. Not much to do about that 

There was an issue with cameras back in the days. Players would phys gun the camera into someone’s base to see the peaks, number of players and printers. If they can make it so it can’t be picked up with phys gun nor grav gun but instead placed around with the use of the tool gun, it might just work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • DarkRP Administration Team

Neutral

I do like the idea of having CCTV, but as others have said, I'm a bit concerned about the exploits that may result from it. I like AJ's idea of only allowing them to be placed / positioned using the tool gun which could prevent a lot of issues. But then there's the question of server performance, which is a worry. If these details could be cleared-up then I'd give it a +1 but I'll stay neutral for now.

• DarkRP Administration Team

I'm all for new features to play around with, but I always hated cameras in any DarkRP server I've ever been in. Especially given that people like to (as mentioned before) use them as a spy camera in other peoples' bases, I say no thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

-1, while it's a good idea and nice to have. Humans can't be trusted entirely, it's been abused a lot when it was allowed back then. Especially since you can make them invisible with a Material. Yes you can just change a plugin to prevent it from being materialized, however it still doesn't help that it was abused as a spy camera. Yes there are some plugins/addons/mods/assets that are different and can be used better than the Camera tool, however at the end of the day. Someone is going to find some way to abuse it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • DarkRP Management Team

Denied
We have had security cameras before, and they were relentlessly abused. I don't foresee there being much of a gameplay improvement by their addition, as it stands now, you leave your base and take the risk of getting raided while you're gone, so you're supposed to hire security to ease your mind, adding cameras would remove the need for security services from the Security Guards, Protective Drones, and Mercenaries. 

Unfortunately, we have no interest in this addition at this time.
Thank you.