DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Competitive Clan Tourney Discussion

Allow me to formerly introduce myself as PostalBoy, but some older players may remember me playing as MF Snake at one point.

Generate some traffic to the game, why don't we host a tourney in the server and coordinate an event where clans compete in a bracket for a money pot prize of in-game cash to be rewarded to winners? Rule set could be very simple where whole map is the situation and it's clan versus clan where each side has three defenders and three raiders. Best of three each matchup and switching party members to offense and defense should be allowed. Players spawn in prints as flags, team that survives or caps most wins. Lot of coordination, lots of effort but it would be great to see. Would like to see some of the best player compete against eachother for one night. Anything like this ever considered? If so I'm down to throw time and money into such an event. Might attract a fair bit of new players. Would be great to hear some feedback from you guys as well.
I don't expect this idea to be approved or accepted so easily it will take lots of time and effort to put it all together.

Anyways thanks!

Edited by ceejbeej
  • DarkRP Management Team

@Vortex He caught on! 😮 

@ceejbeej I was actually planning to do this as a server event, but waiting on our GameMaster Director to come back from his LOA, but I would definitely love to hear feedback from this. The only downside I can foresee is toxicity by who loses or who wins, bullying the other. As long as everyone can be mature, I'd be down to run this. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Spicy 1
  • DarkRP Administration Team

+1

I like this idea. I've never been a fan of clans in general, but I think a lot of the negativity comes from a small minority who poison group chats (clan leaders be aware and keep on top of it) but I feel like if there was something like this, there would be a better reason for clans to be around and have something constructive to work towards while also being a good laugh! Maybe weekly / monthly events to see which clan is on top?

Game for high level players that already have millions of dollars combined so that they can win more money while keeping other low level players out. I’ve never really been a fan of clans (which were btw banned at one point) just because most of them promote toxicity and an unfair environment. All you have to do is include everyone in the tournament I don’t know why people who aren’t in a clan should be exempt from winning. This wouldn’t promote new players to join because they wouldn’t even be included. 

In response to the below information : This still only benefits high level players, unless you want to specify the exact events that newer players can participate it. Based off what I’ve seen the majority of the players aren’t really even in clans especially when we get upwards of 100+ people on. While I can see how this would be cool to see for longer members of the server this is basically just a staff-facilitated TDM where the winner (which is most likely going to be the team with the best [already bought] weapons) gets 100 Credits and over 100 Million dollars which even furthers the basing and raiding gap you talk about. 

In response to @Merk : If this is how the event is set up than +1 hes found a fair median between lower levels and higher levels

TL:DR - Be more descriptive in how SPECIFICALLY this is going to benefit new players not just high levels  

Ideas -

1. Have a way for low level players to view and bet on the event

2. In the months leading up to the tournament advertise via perma propped text screens that newer players can team up and pay (a smaller fee obviously) to participate possibly starting at a lower bracket.

Edited by Horse
NEW INFO
  • Agree 1

I'd like to delve deeper into organizing a gaming tournament, an area where I've gained considerable experience through managing brackets and serving as a tournament operator across various platforms, including local communities, universities, and military gaming clubs. With my recent engagement on Discord, I aim to facilitate smoother communication and share my insights more effectively. Given the challenges of community toxicity, I believe in fostering a positive and competitive environment, requiring diligent coordination with the event staff.

My vision includes hosting a server event that not only accommodates competitive players but also welcomes casual participants, enhancing the event's appeal through strategic promotions in the days leading up to it. To support this initiative, I'm contributing 100 store credits to the prize pool, with the top three teams receiving a share of additional monetary rewards.

I propose expanding the competition to include various clans, allowing ample preparation time—possibly one to two months—to ensure a well-organized event. My role would primarily be overseeing the tournament's facilitation rather than engaging directly as a referee.

The tournament structure I envision is a series of best-of-three matches, culminating in a grand finale, with each 6v6 clash featuring clan vs. clan gameplay. The format includes three attackers and three defenders per team, with the goal being either to capture the opponent's base or eliminate all opposing players. Each round would have a 15-minute duration, with players spawning two printers in their base at the start of each match. This basic framework is open to adjustments to tailor a specific rule set for the event, ensuring fair play and strategic depth.

We will assign one admin per team to monitor gameplay, reporting to a central judge who will make final decisions on rule adherence, thereby maintaining integrity throughout the tournament. Additionally, the involvement of admins will be acknowledged with compensation for their efforts.

Participation in the tournament requires an entry fee of 18 million, equating to 3 million per player, assuming six teams compete. This fee structure supports a prize distribution that rewards the top three teams, with a significant portion allocated to the champions.

This approach outlines a comprehensive plan to manage the tournament, emphasizing collaboration, fairness, and community engagement, while also considering the logistical aspects of administration and prize distribution.

I know its a text wall, but I can speak caveman on discord or in game if you find me. 😄 I have been supporting lots of new players who have joined and it's good to see Garnet alive after my hiatus from Gmod. Finally as a result from this effort I hope after the event we could work together making improvements to the server to possibly facilitate another event or improve roles and jobs in the server.

Edited by ceejbeej
Skynet

Let's be clear: this event isn't exclusively for clan members. We're brainstorming mini-events as a prelude to the main tournament, welcoming both structured teams and less formal groups. Although there's a notable skill gap in raiding and basing within Garnet's competitive landscape, our aim is to cater to all levels of play. Whether you're joining with friends for a high-stakes challenge or just for the fun of it, be aware that you'll encounter both novice and veteran players. The tournament is designed to be inclusive, intending to draw new participants and enhance the community's vibrancy without exacerbating existing skill disparities.

We especially invite non-competitive Dark RP players, emphasizing the need for comprehensive planning, oversight, and a commitment to rectifying previous community missteps. To ensure a fair and enjoyable experience for all, we'll be conducting practice matches. These preliminaries are essential for refining the event's structure and ensuring it accommodates a wide range of participants, setting the stage for a larger, more inclusive tournament.

• DarkRP Management Team

In my version of this, it would not be restricted solely to clans, any team could be created and compete against the others. 

8 hours ago, Horse said:

TL:DR - Be more descriptive in how SPECIFICALLY this is going to benefit new players not just high levels  

Ideally, how I would resolve the issues you pointed out would be to give everyone the same exact parameters, strip all contestant's weapons and give everyone the same gun(s), same armor, same health, and disallow buying additional armor/health. Ideally, I'd like to see each team select certain classes/roles for each member, like TF2 roles. There would be 1-2 players (depending on size) for each class, Shotgunner, AR, SMG, Sniper, and Medic. I would seek the help of my Game Masters in building a HUGE arena in the grassland ontop of the map, and let them use that as their battlefield. There are many ways to moderate this, as long as the people would not be toxic I could definitely see this being successful in the right GM's hands.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Awesome replies. For now we will keep it in the back of our minds. Discords and in-game discussions about this idea first. It need to be brought up thru the whole staff to get the okay. So that requires a team of people who are interested in helping out, I think today I will talk with Merk about a ruleset and how preliminary events can prepare us for something of this magnitude. Either way I have been sponsoring new players to join clans and engage in some friendly competition.

So those who are wondering how noobs will feel about this? Welll. You see the thing is we would love to create some entertainment inbetween matches. Each match does not have to take place one after another. We can also attempt to try to schedule each match in the bracket based on the teams schedules and the ref/admin schedules. As I mentioned before a lot of coordination. New players will have a chance to compete in small events or have some fun in some games that we design.

In a way it is indeed encouraging the skillgap by having money pool and entry fee for the serious competition, but the events that we will center around new players and small teams will be the comradery that essentially leads up to each match. This also garners more attention and traffic to the game as a whole so new players seeing this type of competition and coordination between the community will be something to pass on.

Big suggestion is trying to host a match during slow hours and then focusing on games and events in-between with prizes for new players kinda like a login bonus but handled by staff and facilitators of the events/.

Edited by ceejbeej
  • DarkRP Management Team

I like this idea. As per Merk's post there's ways to make this happen on equal footing. If the argument against this is that only high level players would be participating, I don't see why events exclusively for high level players is inherently a bad thing. Not to mention we could potentially bring any low levels not part of any clan to spectate and bet. My one suggestion would be to make this a build battle and then raid-off style event in a sectioned off area of adminland so it doesn't break peoples' rp. I can build a preliminary dupe to section an area off and pass it along to higher ups if this is approved.

overall +1 but some tweaks and fine tuning would need to be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief update. This Thursday Buster and I are discussing exhibition games to get a feel for the gameflow. He will be designning a build in the skybox where the players will fight. This week I will also post my update to the ruleset following what members have suggested thanks