DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Props/Printers not instantly disappearing on disconnect

Description: Grace periods of maybe ~10 minutes before your props/printers despawn on disconnect or crash.

Reasoning: This server promotes afking & using alts to keep the servers pop high and be competitive with other popular servers. The server promotes this by giving credits for playtime and heavily promotes it with big xp multipliers from leaving your client in game for long periods.

The issue is after leaving my client open overnight to get 1.5x xp and start printing is my game is more prone to crash after being left on for 12 hours. I crash and lose all my printers/claimed printers & my xp multiplier.

This would be a nice QoL addition to the server with pretty negligible drawbacks.

Additional Information: I've seen this implemented on other high pop Dark-RP servers and know its possible seemingly without a major impact on performance or other issues.

-thanks for reading

you can add "is it worth it to add this in a video game" to argue against any suggestion for the server

Edited by devilsbrother

Realistically I think there's a lot of downsides with having any props or entities not de-spawn after someone connect. I think it'd be really easy to abuse that by minging props and entities. 

Is this really worth adding so players can leave their computers on over night to get currency in a video game. 

• Agree 1
  • Community Director

I would say no to props, just because staff use kick/reconnect as a method to throttle a connection and remove Prop Block/Prop Block Spam. But for entities, there may be a case there, I would think the application would be useful for raiders so someone can't rage quit and everything disappears, it gives them the chance to claim the printers at the very least.

I agree with conway, there should be a minimum 5 minute window where you can claim printers if someone was to combat log, or if someone's game crashed and you log back in within that window your printers would be reinstated to you. 

Edited by PIague
  • DarkRP Administration Team

10 minutes is excessive, but 5 is a bit more reasonable to me. If this only affected entities (i.e. printers) I'm all for it. It can suck when you randomly crash or lose internet connection for a minute and everything you have is just gone immediately. I would hope there is a way this can't have bad ramifications for the server but ultimately I'm not very knowledgeable on what can cause issues in this fossil of a game.

Decent idea though.

+1

• DarkRP Management Team

I would be in favor of allowing a slight buffer of 5 minutes after disconnect for money printers to despawn, but it's not a huge change. It's very uncommon for players to disconnect during raids before the raiders claim the printers, and even if they do, they are typically banned for failrp/LTAP. I don't see this being something high-priority, as we already have ways to combat this issue, but if there is enough of a consensus to have this added I'm sure we can put it on the list later on down the line.

+1

I think 10 minutes is way too much time, I'm onboard with the idea but only for entities and 5 minutes should be enough. I've had a couple instances where my game has randomly crashed and lost all of my printers in an instant.

3 hours ago, Merk said:

It's very uncommon for players to disconnect during raids before the raiders claim the printers, and even if they do, they are typically banned for failrp/LTAP.

Is this new? I've never heard that's against the rules. 

On 2/23/2024 at 4:14 PM, Schyzo said:

+1

I think 10 minutes is way too much time, I'm onboard with the idea but only for entities and 5 minutes should be enough. I've had a couple instances where my game has randomly crashed and lost all of my printers in an instant.

Schyzo conveys my thoughts here perfectly. +1

An issue that would have to be looked out for is to make sure that someone could not leave, have someone else claim their printers, rejoin, place printers down again, and repeat for pseudo-Infinite printer generation.  But, other than that, seems good to me!

• Like 1