Computer Help

Prop

Last Monday my Aunt and Uncle called me and informed me that they have been planning on getting me a laptop as my graduation present and that they will get it a little early if I can find a good one. I wanted to take this opportunity to finally get a gaming laptop so that I can have something to do over the summer and when I'm in college. I've been researching some laptops that they carry at my local best buy, but I've never bought a gaming laptop before so I do not know which one of my choices would be the best. If you know anything about laptops please check out my choices and give me your opinion on each.

Alienware - 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 1TB Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive - Black

Price 1,294.99 (on sale atm)

LINK

Razer - Blade Stealth 13.3" QHD+ Touch-Screen Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 512GB Solid State Drive - Black CNC Aluminum

Price 1,359.99

LINK

ASUS - ROG GU501GM 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 1TB Hybrid Drive + 128GB SSD - Brushed Black

Price 1,499.99

LINK

MSI - 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 512GB Solid State Drive - Matte Black With Gold Diamond Cut

Price 1,699.99

LINK

Any feedback is helpful and appreciated, thanks!

52 minutes ago, Prop said:

Razer - Blade Stealth 13.3" QHD+ Touch-Screen Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 512GB Solid State Drive - Black CNC Aluminum

Price 1,359.99

LINK

For gaming: nah. There is NO dedicated graphics card, only integrated intel graphics (from CPU). Good luck gaming on that.

More info if interested: 

For info on the MSI GS65:

More info the the Alienware 15R4:

*Yes, they're all LTT videos, fight me.

The Alienware is the best performing laptop in your selection ON PAPER. It's the only one with a 1070 (8 GB VRAM). They all have the same processor and same amount of RAM. There are differences in storage. For mass storage, the ASUS and Alienware both come with 1TB HDD, although the ASUS HDD is a hybrid drive (it partly operates as an SSD). The MSI only comes with 512 GB SSD. 

In terms of price, I would say that the best bang for the buck is the Alienware laptop. However, I am skeptical on the Alienware's build quality and warranty/support in case something goes wrong with the laptop (Alienware is owned by Dell now. I've only had SHITTY experiences with Dell customer support). Also, if you plan on using the Alienware as a school laptop, keep in mind that you may look silly bringing that behemoth out in class. I've had people in my classes use these laptops before and it just looks ridonkulous. Up to you though). I would say the next best option is the ASUS ROG laptop. It's sleek, good specs, and is the next least expensive (excluding the Razer Stealth, but we are ignoring that one for reasons stated above).

Also, I would highly recommend having an external monitor to use with your laptop when you're using it at home. They all have HDMI ports that allow you to have a dual monitor setup. Also, an external mouse and keyboard is recommended as well. 

5 minutes ago, Zoro said:

For gaming: nah. There is NO dedicated graphics card, only integrated intel graphics (from CPU). Good luck gaming on that.

More info if interested: 

For info on the MSI GS65:

More info the the Alienware 15R4:

*Yes, they're all LTT videos, fight me.

The Alienware is the best performing laptop in your selection ON PAPER. It's the only one with a 1070 (8 GB VRAM). They all have the same processor and same amount of RAM. There are differences in storage. For mass storage, the ASUS and Alienware both come with 1TB HDD, although the ASUS HDD is a hybrid drive (it partly operates as an SSD). The MSI only comes with 512 GB SSD. 

In terms of price, I would say that the best bang for the buck is the Alienware laptop. However, I am skeptical on the Alienware's build quality and warranty/support in case something goes wrong with the laptop (Alienware is owned by Dell now. I've only had SHITTY experiences with Dell customer support). Also, if you plan on using the Alienware as a school laptop, keep in mind that you may look silly bringing that behemoth out in class. I've had people in my classes use these laptops before and it just looks ridonkulous. Up to you though). I would say the next best option is the ASUS ROG laptop. It's sleek, good specs, and is the next least expensive (excluding the Razer Stealth, but we are ignoring that one for reasons stated above).

Also, I would highly recommend having an external monitor to use with your laptop when you're using it at home. They all have HDMI ports that allow you to have a dual monitor setup. Also, an external mouse and keyboard is recommended as well. 

thanks so much for your input, looks like I'll be going with the asus. Before I make the final decision, however, I was wondering if you had any personal suggestions that are not on my list? I need a laptop thats good performance for under 2,000 dollars

23 minutes ago, Prop said:

thanks so much for your input, looks like I'll be going with the asus. Before I make the final decision, however, I was wondering if you had any personal suggestions that are not on my list? I need a laptop thats good performance for under 2,000 dollars

I'd say that in terms of gaming laptops, the three you listed here are the best ones out there at the moment, unless anyone else has other suggestions. Having a 1060 or 1070 and a 6 core processor in a laptop form should do you fine for both school and gaming. Try to go with anything greater, i.e. a 1080, and you'll be put above $2,000.

On 4/3/2019 at 1:28 PM, Garnet said:

Go with the Alienware, it is by far superior to every computer you listed in terms of specs and build quality. It is the laptop  I just got myself a week ago.

my only fear with the Alienware is dealing with Dell. The last time I had a dell laptop I had to buy a new charger because they released a system update that made it to where my universal charger would no longer work with the computer.

Archived