DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Legitimately beyond stressed out, dropping out of university.

• The Garnut

So.. I've been in college/university for just about 4 years now. 2 months ago when it came time to pay my tuition, I did so online on my University's official website (WELL over $3,000 in total). I started taking my classes, and 2 months later, 2 weeks away from finishing this crucial semester for my bachelors degree with a 3.5 GPA I get a letter. Letter is basically reading "You have until June 1st to pay your tuition as it did not come through on our end, any later than June 1st will result in a withdrawal from your classes in which you owe us a $200 fee" mind you, I spent roughly $500 on the books alone. This letter letting me know my payment was due was sent on MAY 30th and was received past the actual fucking due date, so I had absolutely no idea. No other form of communication was carried out on the university's end, nowhere was I told that my payment didn't come through, and nowhere was I notified that I must make my payment AS i'm fucking taking my classes, working 5-8 hours a day.

So I spent 2 months hauling ass this summer taking the maximum amount of classes allowed as to get my bachelors degree quicker, literally 4 compressed classes, only to be told that I am being withdrawn and I must pay a fee, because of a technical error on my university's own website.

Dudes, if this doesn't get resolved, Garnet is coming back to Garnet and dropping out of my university, because this business model that universities carry for extorting money out of its struggling students is fucking ridiculous, and i'd be a fool to spend another fucking dollar on this institution.

Rant over DSKANBFUCK

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • The Garnut
1 hour ago, Shrugger said:

If I were in your shoes I would go the Dean and let them know what happened. If there not complete assholes they will most likely give you a time extension at the least.

Man ? this is what @Phantom told me to do, however, it's practically impossible to set up a meeting with the university's health studies in a timely manner because of how swamped they are. It's something i'm going to try my best to do.

1 hour ago, Shrugger said:

there is a reason they are able to do this. That piece of paper will significantly improve your chances later in life, assuming society remains the same, including jobs, mortgages, etc. which domino over to other parts of your life such as financials(won't make as much without that paper), friends(Can't interact with people with degrees as often unless you got one), and general happiness.

Sorry to be an asshat in response to you trying to be helpful, but  what was even the point of this paragraph? nobody ever questioned the ability for a uni degree to help you later on in life, this in no way shape or form justifies how some universities adapt a business model that affects broke teenagers that are just trying to get by.

12 hours ago, Garnet said:

university's health studies in a timely manner because of how swamped they are. 

Don't speak with the Dean of your college, but to the University's Dean of Students. They are there to represent you to the administration. They will likely schedule a sit down with the bursar to go over payments. During said meeting, you should bring the statement from your financial institution where the payments you have made to the University are outlined. The burden of proof then shifts to the University to present their statement from their financial institution to show you payment did not go through. If it did not, then a resolution may be made.

On 6/26/2018 at 6:57 PM, Garnet said:

this business model that universities carry for extorting money out of its struggling students is fucking ridiculous, and i'd be a fool to spend another fucking dollar on this institution.

Rant over DSKANBFUCK

You said it perfectly. they've made it a business for revenue, it's fucking crazy how much money it costs to get a degree.. The amount of student debt in this country is DISGUSTING. You would think as an institution made to educate, they would want as many people to be educated as possible (like that's what the fuck they're supposed to do) but NOPE. And this shit used to be FREE!! RIP the education system. 

• 5 weeks later...