Rule Suggestion

I just want to start this with saying that this suggestion really goes for all servers, but I almost only play darkrp so I'm posting this here. 

Description: I think that if someone breaks the advertisement rule, it shouldn't be an instant perma ban. Obviously, there are cases where an instant 
perma ban should be in place, but if someone simply makes a mistake, they shouldn't be perma'd. I think a week long ban would suffice in a case where it 
was obviously a mistake. 

Reasoning: Many people don't fully understand the rules surrounding advertisement, and they might post something in ooc so one of their friends can see, 
and they get perma'd. I've seen quite a few people who were perma'd off of a simple mistake, and that just doesn't seem fair. If it is blatant 
advertisement, then sure, perma ban them, but if it is clearly an accident from someone who didn't understand the rules, they shouldn't be given a perma 
ban.
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
5 hours ago, ElCompadre said:

Your idea seems good but how can someone advertise by accident

I mean someone putting a website or something in ooc to try to give to their friend. They might not realize how pms work, and they don’t realize that they can’t do that.

10 hours ago, ElCompadre said:

Your idea seems good but how can someone advertise by accident?

I've accidentally posted a discord link due to my copy paste not working correctly. Luckily, I was not banned but others could be for something similar to my case.

• Agree 2
On 6/5/2021 at 12:42 PM, Theta2 said:

I've accidentally posted a discord link due to my copy paste not working correctly. Luckily, I was not banned but others could be for something similar to my case.

The easiest lie is to say my copy and paste is not working correctly

I generally do think there should be like a first offense type of situation if it’s the first time then you get like a week or two ban, maybe the second offense is like a month and then after that it’s a perma 

Edited by OpTic Gunner
  • Dumb/Shitpost 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Had this (Sorta) happen to me before, I can see where aidan's coming from. I once accidentally copy-pasted the link of what was essentially Breaking Bad but in Spanish, and was perma-banned for it, however I did some good old fashioned pleading and begging and got out of it with a warning. I don't think it would be too difficult to check if an advertisement ban was accidental or not.

While we're on this topic too, I don't think linking stuff like Wikipedia and Youtube (unless it's your channel or something) should be punished.

• Dumb/Shitpost 1
6 hours ago, StillWohMi said:

While we're on this topic too, I don't think linking stuff like Wikipedia and Youtube (unless it's your channel or something) should be punished.

Ever heard of a fake link leading to a ip grabber? It's happened before on the server. I still remember that time when some dude began spamming ips.

• Agree 1
2 minutes ago, StillWohMi said:

When they're spamming, it's obviously advertising

You aren't reading my message right.

One time someone posted a "youtube link" and ended up grabbing a bunch of people's actual IP addresses, and began attempting to spam them in ooc, due to people actually going to the link.

• Informative 1
  • Agree 1
On 6/4/2021 at 11:59 PM, aidanpoppas123 said:

Obviously, there are cases where an instant perma ban should be in place, but if someone simply makes a mistake, they shouldn't be perma'd

Okay then, tell me how YOU, with 100% certainty, you can prove someone did it unintentionally.

If you want to make a suggestion about a rule being changed, you must give us a way to be able to actually enforce it at least. But i’m going to cut the the chase, you simply can’t. 

If they accidentally put their discord account in OOC for example, we just let the player know that he/she can’t be doing that shit and the message goes across 100% of the time anyways. The advertisement rule is put in place for a reason, but we are not dickheads about it. You’re staff so you’ve seen appeals of people getting perma for putting a link to a stupid youtube video and get accepted. I’m going to admit, I’ve perma banned people for putting their discord account in OOC and getting accepted. Which shows that there is a line between advertising and just making a mistake already in place. Which again, is also a reason why there is no reason to change that rule to begin with. 

The definition of “advertising” is when someone posts a link to another site/video that is not Garnet related or the link is for the gain of the sender of the link itself such as a link to another server forums, another server IP, a message mentioning another server.

Example: “Join Prog’s Poggers Server! 10 Mil Start! HIRING STAFF!!!!”

Example #2: Putting a link to a discord server for the sole purpose of promoting another server / a server that is not Garnet related.

(this is not a real server and is a hypothetical example).

We are a server that is always competing with hundreds or even thousands of other servers and our job is to not just enforce the rules, but keep the player base itself alive . So the rule of advertising is very important to the health of the servers player base and is in my opinion one of the most important rules we can have in our whole server and should not be changed in the slightest.

• Like 2

Changed -- Modified/understandable/better/etc

Honestly what papi said is 100% right but one thing we're always stuck with speaking from experience. People don't like to well read the rules when the first spawn into the server. Honestly, I don't think I would either because I'm brand new, nobody wants to read rules when entering a new server. Now that being said with the rules being in front of your face when spawning in there should be no excuse to "not knowing the rules," because in harsh truth that's bullshit. But, maybe as a alternative to the pop up rules everytime you spawn in. Maybe there's a certain pop up in RED that shows the most important rules to remember such as (advertising, links, cheating, harassment, etc) that could lead to greater bans. The newer player base will be re-assured that if they do these things they will get the full punishment without quesiton. I don't know how hard this would be to make but its a way to make sure we don't run into problems like that. As well as going through a dumb process where the person says "I'm sorry I didn't know we weren't allowed to" or "I didn't mean to put it into ooc." Just a thought after all, but full support to what papi said.

Edited by Ba11ParkFrank41
  • Like 1
  • 300 IQ 1
Guest proggy

logo.png.e5b1f1407eab24395fffa930c7633c1 

Denied
Nothing needs to be changed in the rules or D3A guideline regarding advertisement.
Staff are free to soften a punishment in the case of a genuine accident of non-malicious advertisement,
however in most cases of advertisement bans it is someone advertising another server or a cheat client.

If someone advertises due to ignorance of the rules & consequences that is their problem.
It is the players responsibility to read the rules, and it is one of the first rules listed.