Add some small changes to the Mic Spam rules in Dark RP!

Description:

Hello, I had a bit of a problem today with some mic spammers whom were doing something that was considered in the grey area of the rules. They were mic spamming stuff that was clearly just to be annoying and not funny at all. One of them straight up admitted this was their goal to just annoy people in the sit. The ones who took the sit are ChrisRid(STEAM_0:1:17720402) and Tom Brady(STEAM_0:1:264766). I'll @ them on the post since they will probably bump the post up.

This is the current rule for hobo mic spamming: 

• You may mic spam using only your voice and instruments, no media such as videos, soundboards, etc.

Reasoning:

I would suggest adding a small excerpt to the mic spamming rules for Hobos that you must stop when asked and you can't just mic spam with the intent of annoying others. 

I posted some examples of what the rule would prevent people from doing. Don't harass them about this please, they technically broke no rules and it's just a game.

Videos:

@ChrisRid Couldn't find Tom Brady's forum account lol

Edited by BlockDreams
  • Sad 2

-1, one of the lures and points of hobo micspam is to be annoying. If it becomes harassment that's different, but you can always just mute them if you hold down tab and click on the speaker next to their names I believe. No need to change the rule.

• Agree 2
  • DarkRP Administration Team

Just to clarify a couple of things here to give some context to others reading this, the sound being made was distorted in the way of feedback, a bit like when you hold a mic up to a speaker and it picks up on a sound (like a voice) and then loops it until it squeals. In this instance I opted to have @PolarICE who's a manager on the staff team, advise me on the best course of action, and it was concluded that this is a loophole in the rules as it's not really a voice or instrument, even if the sounds origin is that of a voice. This of course will set a precedent for other similar cases.

With regards to your suggestion though, it's always been commonplace for hobos to micspam with the intent to be annoying, and as staff our advice is that if you are getting annoyed with someone micspamming then you can mute them by holding TAB and clicking on the mute icon on the right-hand side of their name. The role of a hobo can usually be played in two main ways; you can either perform to an audience in public (play guitar or tell some jokes) with the hope that people will donate money, or you can be the other kind of hobo that goes around throwing their boots at people and making strange hobo noises, as they do. Both of these types of behaviour are acceptable.

I don't feel it's necessary to change the rules, but it was worth speaking with a manager with regards to clarifying the grey area of feedback noises in this situation, and that precedent has now been set for the future 🙂

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

So yeah similarly to what Chris stated, clearly they weren’t using an instrument or their voice. Rules are clearly stated as what they may do with their mic therefore they have broken job rules. No need to change them if they aren’t following ones in place. -1 but can understand the frustration man. 

-1 Hey block I can understand your frustration. With what everyone else has said mic spamming hobos is apart of that "DarkRP Experience" You always have the option to mute a player who is annoying you and they are not allowed to mic spam in a sit as that is out of character.  

Edited by SGTMoe
  • Informative 1

I get that, but I disagree entirely @ChrisRid and the rest. The point of mic spamming is to be funny, not to piss off everyone else. Furthermore, the scoreboard on Garnet Gaming is one the of most unintuitive piles of junk I've ever used. I can't even click on someone to get their steam ID or profile, nor can I search up a specific player. 

I happen to be cross eyed as well, so reading through the entire scoreboard for a specific name becomes even more annoying. Thanks for your input though.

2 hours ago, BlockDreams said:

I get that, but I disagree entirely @ChrisRid and the rest. The point of mic spamming is to be funny, not to piss off everyone else. Furthermore, the scoreboard on Garnet Gaming is one the of most unintuitive piles of junk I've ever used. I can't even click on someone to get their steam ID or profile, nor can I search up a specific player. 

I happen to be cross eyed as well, so reading through the entire scoreboard for a specific name becomes even more annoying. Thanks for your input though.

Maybe it would be better to make a suggestion related to updating the scoreboard to better accommodate for those with impaired vision and for quality of life purposes. To get a players steam id you can do /id (type out there name or part of there name) or by looking directly at them do /id and it will copy it. When it comes to muting however you are right you would have to search for there name. So I think a suggestion updating these could be worth while looking into. However removing a key feature that adds a reason to be a hobo would make a lot of players upset. And like what was stated previously if they were mic spamming and harassing a player that's a separate issue.

• Like 1