DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Allow talking over bodies

jas0n

As someone that has been reported numerous times for talking over dead bodies, I do enjoy the fact of this rule being removed. I, alongside plenty of vets, already do this and have a little “friend group” of body talkers.

However, it should come to an extent. If it’s a little bit of banter such as “you’re terrible” or “have fun at spawn” then it’s fine. But if you commit a whole hate speech act on someone, you should be reported. 

For friends or regulars of the server I could understand the desire to do this and there wouldn't be much harm in most scenarios. However, you must consider the extremes. Someone could easily abuse this by talking over the dead bodies of new players who will simply quit playing instead of reporting to staff. Could that still happen with the current rule? Yes. But when you no longer make it punishable it will happen more often. We should try to make new players more welcome, not alienate them.

• Cringe 1
  • Disagree 1

This rule isn't really specified within our current MRP rules. Players can throw some slander but it is breaking staff rules to do it. So technically players can do it but it should be kept to a limit. 

3 hours ago, Toyto said:

For friends or regulars of the server I could understand the desire to do this and there wouldn't be much harm in most scenarios. However, you must consider the extremes. Someone could easily abuse this by talking over the dead bodies of new players who will simply quit playing instead of reporting to staff. Could that still happen with the current rule? Yes. But when you no longer make it punishable it will happen more often. We should try to make new players more welcome, not alienate them.

Not allowing something because of the extremes is ridiculous. People get into car crashes, should we ban cars? No we shouldn't, we are a small server if you notice that one of your friends or really anybody who is taking it to far tell him that's not cool or report them to an officer. As COL of DF i would never allow my guys to shit talk brand new players. its uncalled for and wrong. But if they want to shit talk the same guys they see everyday I think they should have every right to.

2 hours ago, Shwade said:

This rule isn't really specified within our current MRP rules. Players can throw some slander but it is breaking staff rules to do it. So technically players can do it but it should be kept to a limit. 

Even though it isn't specified it is an unwritten rule. Players are still afraid to talk over bodies. I hear it all the time in TS. Staff and players should play by the same rules but that discussion is more for staff meetings then here but Staff should really know when it is and isn't to talk over bodies. When some people get shit talked they tend to get butt hurt and weaponize staff. The point of this suggestion is to stop weaponizing staff as that helps nobody and allows for some rivalries to form. As lame as it sounds every story needs a good Villain. Video games like Borderlands 2 and Far Cry 3 are famous for there amazing Villains. During those games you wanted to stick it Handsome jack because he always antagonized you during the whole game. Why cant we have similar experiences here.  Lets use you and me as an example. Every time I kill you, you know I'm gonna talk some shit. It may be in OOC or over your body. Every time without fail. You could get me back by killing me and talking shit back, which would then get a small rivalry going and giving you something else to do during war then just cap obj and get kills. It provides a more memorable experience. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jas0n said:

Not allowing something because of the extremes is ridiculous.

Extremes was the wrong word. It's not an extreme, it's one of the many things that could result from this.

8 minutes ago, jas0n said:

People get into car crashes, should we ban cars?

But we do put limits on them to protect the people using them and the people around them. Same thing here, we limit banter by not allowing people to talk over bodies. 

6 minutes ago, jas0n said:

As COL of DF i would never allow my guys to shit talk brand new players. its uncalled for and wrong. But if they want to shit talk the same guys they see everyday I think they should have every right to.

Which is good but you are one of many. There will be people who will use this to negatively impact other people and my point is that it will be hard to enforce limits against those people, especially when it's actively allowed in other circumstances; opening the door on this is liable to let a lot of other things out. People already get maliciously toxic on MRP, I would hate to see it be intensified by something like this.

• Cringe 1

-1, 'Big brother bullying' doesn't push anyone to do better it actually creates a general I wanna say aura of toxicity. MRP hasn't become soft even back than talking over bodies was frowned upon and people would even go as far as calling others out in OOC if you did it.

Its not hard to keep shit to yourself your basically asking to sprinkle in a little more toxicity into MRP culture which is surprising considering how much is already in the server.

Cons outway the pros. You're insane if you think 'small rivalries' bring players together rather than push them apart, create diversities and exclusion, aswell as toxicity.

• Cringe 1
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, Horseyyy said:

-1, 'Big brother bullying' doesn't push anyone to do better it actually creates a general I wanna say aura of toxicity. MRP hasn't become soft even back than talking over bodies was frowned upon and people would even go as far as calling others out in OOC if you did it.

Being called out in OOC is much different than getting an actual warn/ban for it.  it's easy to ignore ooc because at least you're not getting an actual warning for it? 

+1

I don't think people should be getting warns/bans because someone wants to be petty over getting killed in a video game. as long as people don't break the rules / use someone's personal life in game i see no issue.  personally, getting killed by someone motivates me to do better / get that person back.

the only thing is people will need to have something like medal for reports because the proof is going to be needed.

yes i play mrp

Tali PVT Gunnerino has played for 1202:27:42.

• Agree 1

+1

I would also argue toxicity would keep newer players engaged because the fact of the matter is, it is in human nature not to give up. I don’t know why people think one singular comment pushing a new player to leave will make them never return to the server. Its things like basecamping, shitty weapons and bad leadership that makes new players leave. Short term, yes a new player will leave and be angry. But If a new player rage quits after being killed by a toxic player, you best bet they will be out for blood the very next day.  However, toxicity should just be pure banter and if it leads to harassment / targeting it should be punishable. Also whether you like it or not, this change would greatly benefit the server as toxicity WILL hook more players to get on as they try to feed their egos and attempt to one up the next person. This is coming from the perspective of a relatively new player who joined less than a year ago. I have never experienced war toxicity, and I think its time we unleash the shackles. 

3 hours ago, Horseyyy said:

Its not hard to keep shit to yourself your basically asking to sprinkle in a little more toxicity into MRP culture which is surprising considering how much is already in the server.

Cons outway the pros. You're insane if you think 'small rivalries' bring players together rather than push them apart, create diversities and exclusion, aswell as toxicity.

Im not surprised you -1 this post. You came to me about silo and yours pms. Now that really wasn't anything much. You are really letting how someone who never seen you before get to you. What are you going to do when your boss tells you that you suck at your job. What if your doctor told you are a bit overweight. Are you going to cry because they told you these things or are you going to make steps to improve your life. Getting shit talked in garnet will teach you how to handle negativity. Is someone being negative to you in a fun way. Just chatting a bit of shit. Or are they jealous of you. Maybe your taller, slimmer , richer and what ever reason you could be jealous of someone. Garnet is the best environment to learn these skills.  Or maybe somebody worried about you and they understand that you need to see the ugly truth. There really is no toxicity in garnet openly. Its everyone chatting shit behind peoples back in pm and voice channels. And that is unhealthy toxicity. its how rumors start and bad blood. It builds up like a powder keg. I would much rather there be healthy toxicity then negative. 

3 hours ago, Toyto said:

Extremes was the wrong word. It's not an extreme, it's one of the many things that could result from this.

But we do put limits on them to protect the people using them and the people around them. Same thing here, we limit banter by not allowing people to talk over bodies. 

Which is good but you are one of many. There will be people who will use this to negatively impact other people and my point is that it will be hard to enforce limits against those people, especially when it's actively allowed in other circumstances; opening the door on this is liable to let a lot of other things out. People already get maliciously toxic on MRP, I would hate to see it be intensified by something like this.

It is an extreme example. Staff team should only limit toxicity when it leads to doxing racism and death threats. Those are negative ok. We as community should say hey man your going a little to far this time dial it back. Maybe you should apologize. Take initiative and call people out. its really that simple 

8 minutes ago, Reynolds said:

+1

I would also argue toxicity would keep newer players engaged because the fact of the matter is, it is in human nature not to give up. I don’t know why people think one singular comment pushing a new player to leave will make them never return to the server. Its things like basecamping, shitty weapons and bad leadership that makes new players leave. Short term, yes a new player will leave and be angry. But If a new player rage quits after being killed by a toxic player, you best bet they will be out for blood the very next day.  However, toxicity should just be pure banter and if it leads to harassment / targeting it should be punishable. Also whether you like it or not, this change would greatly benefit the server as toxicity WILL hook more players to get on as they try to feed their egos and attempt to one up the next person. This is coming from the perspective of a relatively new player who joined less than a year ago. I have never experienced war toxicity, and I think its time we unleash the shackles. 

This is a great point. Look at welyn rust videos. He makes an entire story over getting revenge on toxic players. Rust is a great example of good and bad toxicity. Sitting on your roof and door camping is a real bitch way of playing the game. And you tell them that of course. Then you attempt to raid them and you win. You took down the Tower that been giving the people in the area a hard time. You  have a memorable experience. This is a great example of healthy toxicity. But rust takes it to far when it gets to Racism and death threats. They take it to far sometimes. But we are a small server where we can weed out these terrible people so this bad toxicity isn't a big deal as many people think. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Dillan said:

I don't care if we do or don't, I just want clarification instead of coasting on "unwritten rules" we've done that for so long. Vague information can be handled vaguely, clear cut is better.

Another reason I made the post. We always tend to have 2 rule sets.  unwritten and those written. I think its long overdue to come together as a community and ask for a clear ruleset 

9 hours ago, Toyto said:

Removing this rule doesn't mean it's punishable.  I also rarely think new players will feel discouraged and quit the server because someone said something like "back to spawn" over their dead bodies. Pretty much allowing simple banter. I do agree if it goes to an extreme extent (racial slurs, doxxing, etc) then yes action must be taken, where people must have recording software ready to clip just in case.

+1