Rules and Definitions Suggestions

Twisty

Before I start, please know that i am taking this seriously and if you disagree, please do so respectfully.

please keep in mind that this is not meant to be political.

Description: Changing the definitions of main rules (Example; Racism) and adding rules. I am bringing up the racism rule because as it may be controversial, someone needs to bring it up.
what i am refering to is the fact that some slurs (by definition, not opinion) arent being punished for being used. (e.g. Cracker/Cracka and Coolie) I have heard slurs that are
not widely known or considered racist used numerous times that weren't punished which is why i am bringing up definition change of our rules. i believe our server should punish based on fact
and not on being "woke". The official definition of Racism is --->
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.
I use Cracker/Cracka and Coolie as an example because they are not punished on our server and because i am not comfortable sharing other offensive words on here as i am not a 
part of the community those words are used against.  (here is where it gets controversial) even though some may not believe these words are offensive, by definition they are and we should 
not be afraid to punish people for using words that are defined as racist even if its not widely seen as such. reminder: Cracker is a racial slur directed towards white people, especially
with regard to poor rural whites. i use cracker mainly because it is not widely seen as racist.

For my adding rules part, i will keep it short. i want to implement Xenophobia as a punishable rule. if you don't know what Xenophobia is, it means:

dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.

this is self explanatory.
thank you for reading this.

Reasoning: i believe this would benefit our server because it makes things truly equal among the server and make it so bans are based on definition and fact and not opinion. 

EDIT: i am not personally offended by the word cracker, its just my reasoning that if something is derogatory it shouldnt be used. And I understand that its not that big of a deal but this is just my opinion, thanks for reading anyway.
Edited by Twisty
  • Dumb/Shitpost 4
  • Creative 1
  • Informative 1
  • DarkRP Administration Team

-1 the reason why slurs aren't allowed on the server isn't because they're "offensive by definition." They're not allowed on the server because they offend people and the server looks bad when we allow certain slurs to be used. The words that you're suggesting get banned are words that people typically aren't upset by and words that wouldn't make the server look bad. Maybe in a couple of years people will consider those words more offensive but as of right now I think they're fine. Following the status quo would please the majority of people so that's what we should do. 

• Like 3

I'm going to give a +1 to the part about adding No Xenophobia, just so there is less loopholes. Especially with the recent boom I people trying to use loopholes. It is not a bad idea to add it to the rules. As for the rest a -1, I am going to agree with everyone else, not all words that are offensive by definition are actually offensive to people. Such as cracker for example, there is no history of that word being used as a label that would actually effect your life. There is no history of the word actually having effects, unlike the n-word, or the f-slur. How the rules for racism or other derogatory words is fine how it is now. It leaves some room for the staff to dictate on how it is to be used. Changing it to what you are suggesting would lead to numerous unneeded bans and warns. Some other examples could be like the saying "getting jipped" it is another way of saying you got ripped off, but it is in reference to stereotypes about gypsies.

• Informative 1
  • Disagree 3
22 hours ago, 1998Corolla said:

I can't even give a reasonable string of words to use for a -1, other than I find it hard to believe someone could be offended by cracker. 

Im not offended by cracker im just saying that if something is a slur it shouldnt be used because its derogatory.

23 hours ago, Jbhh said:

Brother is lost in the sauce, -1. If you get offended by cracker there are other problems.

Im not offended by the word cracker, i just dont think people should use words that are derogatory towards any group of people. Thats just what i believe, i understand how the text might make you think that.

I think some people are missing the point of the suggestion, regardless of the word "Cracker" being actually offensive or not what I think Twisty is suggesting is to be consistent in banning the use of ALL racial slurs, it's not about the offensiveness of these or the amount of people getting offended by these, it's about the principle of respect and intentions of use. I suppose this is to create a more amiable space in the server, which honestly I cant see any downsides to this, especially after garnet changed some of the npc dialogues that included racial slurs for comical reasons in past updates.

If this is the intention then I support the suggestion +1

• Informative 1
  • Agree 1
3 minutes ago, Wendoly said:

I think some people are missing the point of the suggestion, regardless of the word "Cracker" being actually offensive or not what I think Twisty is suggesting is to be consistent in banning the use of ALL racial slurs, it's not about the offensiveness of these or the amount of people getting offended by these, it's about the principle of respect and intentions of use. I suppose this is to create a more amiable space in the server, which honestly I cant see any downsides to this, especially after garnet changed some of the npc dialogues that included racial slurs for comical reasons in past updates.

This is exactly the point i was trying to make

• DarkRP Administration Team

1 hour ago, Wendoly said:

I think we are being consistent in banning people. If you say something that’s widely considered offensive, there should be consequences. Like I said in my earlier post on here, we don’t ban words based off of whether or not they’re “offensive by definition.” We ban them based on the whether people consider the word offensive. In that way we are being consistent.

Edited by hooboododoMartian
Replied to wrong message

I’m not going to give a -1 nor +1 because people have their different opinions on getting called a cracker and what not but personally i do not so i will respect others opinions but personally for me i don’t which is why i will not be giving a + nor - 1