Add Feature to Opt-out of Lottery Notifications

Description: Introduce an opt out feature for the mayor lottery, preventing the "Join Lottery for $X" notification from appearing in-game if selected.

Reasoning: The main reason is it can be disruptive at times when in an RP situation, makes it hard to look at the status of your ongoing missions, and can additionally help players with addictive personalities (myself included) avoid gambling when it's in your face.

That said, I'm not against the lottery and don’t want to diminish the feature or hurt players’ chances of winning big. I think an opt out feature makes the most sense, where players by default get the notification as it currently is. Those who don’t want to be reminded to participate can open a menu to turn the feature on/off.

Additional Information: Additionally, perhaps the lottery is on by default every time a player connects, and they have to choose to turn it off once connected. I’m open to ideas! Thank you!

Edited by UrdnotWrex
Original post was focused too much on the gambling addiction aspect
  • Disagree 1

uhm well i do agree because like its annoying when roleplaying and it come up same with the mission objectives but like if you have a problem with not being able to resist go to a therapist thats a real problem and you might want to talk to a professional about it 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, tadtad31 said:

uhm well i do agree because like its annoying when roleplaying and it come up same with the mission objectives but like if you have a problem with not being able to resist go to a therapist thats a real problem and you might want to talk to a professional about it 

Well I'm not suggesting it's an inhibiting behavior on par with gambling addiction that requires therapy. I just think some people have urges to participate in the lottery when they'd prefer not to. I think limiting the notifications would help prevent those urges. And I agree, it's annoying to come up, especially when you're in an rp situation or are trying to look at your missions

Edited by UrdnotWrex

"Compulsive gambling, also called gambling disorder, is the uncontrollable urge to keep gambling despite the toll it takes on your life. Gambling means that you're willing to risk something you value in the hope of getting something of even greater value."

to quot a profcional what you are describing is a gambling addiction 

2 minutes ago, tadtad31 said:

"Compulsive gambling, also called gambling disorder, is the uncontrollable urge to keep gambling despite the toll it takes on your life. Gambling means that you're willing to risk something you value in the hope of getting something of even greater value."

Alright fair, then to curb people with gambling addiction. I'm going to edit the original post because I think it focuses too much on gambling addiction urges rather than the main point at hand. And I think you raise a good point - it's also straight up annoying at times, and something people would rather just have "off" when not wanting to do the lotto.

+1 theres no downsides to adding this players that want to use lottos simply don't disable and players that don't want to see them can disable them everyone wins

-1 this is a very very minor feature and the effort to create/implement may be better spent elsewhere

• Agree 1
  • DarkRP Administration Team

Neutral

The pop-up only asks if you'd like to join the lottery, and you can either click 'No', or after a few seconds it disappears automatically if you don't want to play. I don't find it much of an issue personally and I rarely play the lotto. With that said, if others find it especially annoying then I can see a reason to support this suggestion and allow them to turn the notifications off.

10 hours ago, tadtad31 said:

^ This is ironically a good reason to keep things as they are. It's far better to loose RP cash in order to learn this important lesson than to go-on and make the same mistake IRL- it teaches the importance of setting limits and playing for fun, not for profit. The gambling adverts IRL aren't going to go away anytime soon.

I see both positive and negative reasons for this suggestion, and so overall I'll stick to neutral for now.

• Informative 1

I can see why opt-out would make sense, the notifications can be annoying if you don't want to participate (I'm partly guilty of spamming lottos as Mayor). That being said, currently all you need to do is just F3 and click No. I don't think it's that annoying of an issue that we'd need it, but that's just me.

Neutral

• Like 1

-1 for me it's not that hard to press the no square when it pops up and how often is there a mayor on to make this worth it anyways. it would be a waste of time and effort to put this in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • DarkRP Management Team

Denied
Lotteries are not frequent enough to block your mission progress, and as ChrisRid said, gambling addictions here are not problematic, you're not risking anything of significant value..The only thing that can come of compulsively joining the lottery is an occasional win or the loss of some in-game currency. Additionally, pressing the "no" button on the lottery popup is not inconvenient, it encourages interaction with the game and should not be disabled for that reason, we do not need to further automate the server and take away opportunities for players to engage with the game.

Thank you, but this is not an addition we are interested in pursuing. 

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1