DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Milrp Map Overhaul (Suggestions Needed)

Diomonder

Hello GG community,

With the recent discussions over the map I've had to crawl out of the hole I'm normally in to address the issue. In case the title didn't explain it well enough I'm going to be overhauling the map and updating it to improve gameplay, aesthetics, and the overall enjoyment of the map. When the edit is done you most likely wont even be able to recognize the map but that's probably a good thing, most of you are probably sick of the desert by now. Also new to this edit I'm going to be working with another mapper, @122jimbo, he''s the guy who made rp_highlands, rp_desertfury, rp_junglestorm, and more recently rp_anaxes. We are going to be working closely to make sure the map looks, performs, and plays incredibly well. Since this will be the final edit/map coming from me I might as well go big.

Current planned changes: (I will be updating this list as suggestions come in)

1. Complete rework of the terrain, going from a dry white desert to a desert/forest, similar to what you see in the afghan mountains, but it will still be more forest then desert. Also lots of mountains.
  2. Removal of Silo and moving a modified embassy to its place.
  3. Adding a town to the middle where embassy once was.
  4. Cover and various "holdout" spots added around the terrain.
  5. Rework shooting house/match layout so you'll have to relearn it.
  6. Add more aesthetics to base (Possibly, this depends on limits and framerate)
  7. Rework Russian Base
  8. Rework US Base (A bit)

One final thing, I will not be adding any of the old objectives into the map (IE, company, factory, comms, old attc, etc.)

Ultimately this is your map, I want YOU to be the one in control of it, it's important that the entire community contributes to the changes. I will be working on this for the next couple of weeks so please post asap so I can fit all the desired suggestions into that time frame

Example of the terrain: (THIS IS A REAL PHOTO NOT IN GAME, THIS IS JUST WHAT WE ARE BASING THE NEW TERRAIN OFF OF)

kMPmbR4.jpg

2 minutes ago, PrisonNightmare said:

Glad to see one of my favorite mappers and one of my few inspirations for getting into mapping is helping out! Everything you listed out so far seems perfect to me, Is the ATTC/KH objective layout remaining the same (Apart from MATCH, obviously)? Thanks for the hard work you've been putting in the map.

The buildings may be moved around but both buildings are going to stay with maybe some modifications. 

I’m glad to see that you actually care about how the community thinks and feels and what they want, unlike some mappers just doing stuff to do it, hopefully the community can help you figure out a good way to put it but over I’ll be happy with anything you add or change cause I love your work. Good luck Dio

25 minutes ago, Harris said:

I’m glad to see that you actually care about how the community thinks and feels and what they want, unlike some mappers just doing stuff to do it, hopefully the community can help you figure out a good way to put it but over I’ll be happy with anything you add or change cause I love your work. Good luck Dio

Well to be fair, most mappers are just mapping to get paid and the owners in charge give all the details. However I do respect this mapper's intentions of making a map in which the whole community can enjoy.

28 minutes ago, Entity said:

Well to be fair, most mappers are just mapping to get paid and the owners in charge give all the details. However I do respect this mapper's intentions of making a map in which the whole community can enjoy.

Honestly I'm doing this edit for free, I enjoy mapping just to do it, yes the initial map was a commission but honestly I just wanted something extra to do in my free time and 122jimbo offered to help so I couldn't really pass it up.

2 hours ago, Harris said:

He always cared, and it was really easy to tell when you played with him. He played plain ru rifleman just to play with everyone. When I noticed that I made sure he got to experince more stuff when I had the Alpha Whitelisting power.

@Diomonder I personally think that with the addition of mountains on the side of the map sticking out from the border would work really well. What I mean by this is the mountain that was between construction and RU base on Taiga Forest. I think this could work because it would block paths and sight lines while pushing objectives. 

chara-sands-zabaikalsky-region-russia-10

These are the Chara Sands in Russia, goes from very flat to very fucking dense forest and hills/mountains. This came to mind for me and I think it would be a cool aesthetic for the map to have and also fit in both RP wise, and terrain wise with trees, mountains, etc.

One thing I will say though, that I'd love to see would be customized bunks for each group, each one having maybe some personalized equipment (diving gear in seal bunks, intel files in GRU and V bunks, etc) and other things around the base to give that aesthetic. Siberia, for example, had a ammo depot of sorts at each base (had like a net over top it, I'll get an SS if possible), some radio stations. Things like that I feel will make the bases a bit more lively than just the stagnant buildings they are at the moment.

For the most part I like what people have said about making changes to the map, so I wont put input on that yet, thanks though Dio for being so open and welcoming to change with this :).

1 hour ago, Pencil said:

chara-sands-zabaikalsky-region-russia-10

These are the Chara Sands in Russia, goes from very flat to very fucking dense forest and hills/mountains. This came to mind for me and I think it would be a cool aesthetic for the map to have and also fit in both RP wise, and terrain wise with trees, mountains, etc.

One thing I will say though, that I'd love to see would be customized bunks for each group, each one having maybe some personalized equipment (diving gear in seal bunks, intel files in GRU and V bunks, etc) and other things around the base to give that aesthetic. Siberia, for example, had a ammo depot of sorts at each base (had like a net over top it, I'll get an SS if possible), some radio stations. Things like that I feel will make the bases a bit more lively than just the stagnant buildings they are at the moment.

For the most part I like what people have said about making changes to the map, so I wont put input on that yet, thanks though Dio for being so open and welcoming to change with this :).

That screenshot looks really nice, and honestly with the higher areas being flat with sand and the low areas being forest actually could offer some interesting gameplay. Sniper obviously like playing up high, better vantage while more infantry style classes try to stay hidden from them, I could possibly make the terrain look like this, slower routes run through the forest and higher quicker routes up top but you run the risk of getting sniped. 

As for the bunks thing I'm not too sure where each bunk is and what each team needs and from what I can tell Garnet didnt want classifications on the bunks since sometimes factions get moved around and it would require a map update, I can see if I can possibly add more to the bunks in general though. Also with this I can see what I can do in terms of general aesthetics for the bases, im probably gonna work on making the russian base smaller, honestly it seems a little too big compared to the US base. 

Archived