DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Clarification on why the servers are down

• The Garnut
2 minutes ago, shrimp said:

corv on the phone w his lawyers right now probably, I think this will sort itself out

I wish

PS (for the record, Anycast is our DDoS protection service)

u6odpm.png

Ertug is our host speaking to somebody regarding what has happened on a public Discord

2 minutes ago, Garnet said:

Ertug is our host speaking to somebody regarding what has happened on a public Discord

Whatever you end up having to do, I hope it doesn't involve a lawsuit in any way. That's even more financial burden and headache inducing. Overall though, if they can get in contact with someone on facepunch's side of things for either clarification or a fix, that'd be great. In my mind the whole situation reminds me of the TF2 Unusual unboxing glitch. Probably a fucking intern spilling coffee on a keyboard.

• Community Director

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I cant join?!/1/1!? No worries, open your In-Game Console and type: connect 208.103.169.33:27017 (MilitaryRP) or connect 208.103.169.33:27015 (DarkRP) 

2. What's going on? Anycast the DDoS protection service that our host used has been blacklisted by Facepunch (makers of Gmod) for "ping spoofing" to "boost their discoverablilty in the server browser"

3. Is this the end of Garnet Gaming? No it's not, read the post before commenting.

4. How long will this last? The servers are not down but this count be fixed within an hour to a day to a week or two. Please be patient and connect via console

5. Why all of a sudden? Well game dev's love to assert their dominance in their games, and it's the new year, so probably that. 

6. Can we be unblacklisted? Theoretically moving to a new machine will stop it for now, or stopping use of anycast (DDoS protection service) then appealing to facepunch, however there are other routes that involve servers remaining with DDoS protection (PREFERRED), they will just take more time.

Edited by AlexConway
  • Cringe 1
  • Community Director
3 minutes ago, Vizii said:

So since we are blacklisted, is there any possibility of us being un blacklisted?

4 minutes ago, Alex Conway said:

6. Can we be unblacklisted? Theoretically moving to a new machine will stop it for now, or stopping use of anycast (DDoS protection service) then appealing to facepunch, however there are other routes that involve servers remaining with DDoS protection (PREFERRED), they will just take more time.

Edited by AlexConway
  • The Garnut

I inquired Ertug (our host) about buying another machine for temporary use while our servers are down, he said absolutely not with the amount of DDoS our server see. We would likely be down within minutes without it according to him.

Going to keep having to sit back and wait.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Garnet said:

I inquired Ertug (our host) about buying another machine for temporary use while our servers are down, he said absolutely not with the amount of DDoS our server see. We would likely be down within minutes without it according to him.

Going to keep having to sit back and wait.

This may be a stretch but why dont you use your own machine.

Get a dedicated server and use voxility anti-ddos.

Or OVH as I know they have pretty decent ddos prot.

Or use no DDos prot.

This is just an suggestion btw.

Edited by Jerrr

Ik this situation sucks but whatever happens im sticking around. This is the best community ive ever been apart of and i cant imagine leaving. Hell if i have to build a better PC so i run Rust ill do it, Granted thatll take a little time 😂

https://web.archive.org/web/20190407114320/https://forum.facepunch.com/gmodgd/bsryo/Anycast-DDoS-Protection-How-many-popular-servers-are-manipulating-pings/1/

https://gflclan.com/work/projects/misc/contact-facepunch-and-valve-regarding-anycast-in-garrys-mod-r24/

Posts like these brought the Anycast DNS DDoS protection to the surface in terms of how the servers using it were getting boosted Ping Ratings and causes smaller servers, even though their pings would be lower, on the lower part of the lists. This was a problem to some people (lets be honest, small/medium time server owners), because it can cause the average player to just connect based off the high number of players and low* ping.

* = Example: a German player sees Garnet MRP on the server browser as good ping, and can even ping from outside as low as 80ms. As soon as said player is connected, they will spike to 150-200 due to the ping being connected directly instead of "spoofed" through DNS.

(This is all in laymens terms so people reading this don't just scratch their heads)

Facepunch has released little to no news on this issue.
r/gmod is nothing but user generated content, and no Facepunch reps have posted to it in over a month.

What Garnet put above is the only issue we really face at this moment. With the amount of DDoS and general attacks the servers get due to our notoriety and popularity within the GMod community, the servers would be fried in minutes. Until either Facepunch or the host find an alternative to Anycast that is good enough for the servers to stay up, expect slowed down playercounts.

The best thing we can do is let everyone know the server is still up and well, it just needs to be joined through the Legacy browser or through console.

IPs:

Connect 208.103.169.33:27015

in console for DarkRP

Connect 208.103.169.33:27017

in console for MilitaryRP

Good news: Rust servers still poppin, the less looked after 2x even has 30 players! 5x of course sitting pretty at 100+ almost at all times.

Edited by Dan Gardner
  • The Garnut
2 minutes ago, Dan Gardner said:

What Garnet put above is the only issue we really face at this moment. With the amount of DDoS and general attacks the servers get due to our notoriety and popularity within the GMod community, the servers would be fried in minutes. Until either Facepunch or the host find an alternative to Anycast that is good enough for the servers to stay up, expect slowed down playercounts.

What's unfortunate is without this caching which may indirectly result in our lower server ping, this level of ddos mitigation can't be achieved, so in a way, facepunch is saying "you either get DDoS'd or you get blacklisted" which is just plain stupid.

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, Garnet said:

What's unfortunate is without this caching which may indirectly result in our lower server ping, this level of ddos mitigation can't be achieved, so in a way, facepunch is saying "you either get DDoS'd or you get blacklisted" which is just plain stupid.

Before the days of Anycast and other big DDoS protection programs/services, a server was pretty much at the will of whatever DDoS happy player was preying on them at the time. Impacted Servers (dead) lost over a month of uptime within a 6 month span due to DDoSing in 2014.

• The Garnut
17 minutes ago, Dan Gardner said:

Before the days of Anycast and other big DDoS protection programs/services, a server was pretty much at the will of whatever DDoS happy player was preying on them at the time. Impacted Servers (dead) lost over a month of uptime within a 6 month span due to DDoSing in 2014.

Garnet was probably down more than it was up for a big chunk of 2016. I remember being up for 34 hours just waiting for my null-route to end so I can restart my server. And now that it's solved, this shit happened.

• Like 1