DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

DarkRP | Economy Reset

• The Garnut

Garnet Gaming

Inventory reset date: February 15th, 2020

Hello Garnet Gaming members,

it was brought to my attention that months ago a super administrator of ours who had abused their permission sets to set  their DarkRP wallet to a bizarre amount, severely hurting our server's economy. Their money has since been reset, however, it was brought to my attention that they utilized our box inventory and items inventory systems to store their money elsewhere, and from there I spotted a plethora of users who have an excessive amount of money that they should not. I have came to the decision that it'd be best to wipe our inventory systems, as opposed to banning clueless victims involved.

Please note you have a full month to use items within your inventory before they will be reset.

This issue has been resolved, the economy wipe will NOT take place.

• Like 2
  • Cringe 1
  • 300 IQ 1
  • Spicy 1
  • Sad 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

GG NO REE.

In all seriousness this is a great decision. 

As for input in keeping money's value, I think it is possible. I feel the economy would keep it's effectiveness if it is not tampered with in the way it was. Printers and meth don't make much money on their own and keep money's value well imo.

One thing I would suggest is different raiding techniques, but that's a topic for another thread.

• The Garnut
2 minutes ago, ZachDLC said:

GG NO REE.

In all seriousness this is a great decision. 

As for input in keeping money's value, I think it is possible. I feel the economy would keep it's effectiveness if it is not tampered with in the way it was. Printers and meth don't make much money on their own and keep money's value well imo.

One thing I would suggest is different raiding techniques, but that's a topic for another thread.

What I had in mind was to slightly nerf the maximum amount a printer can output by 5-10%, and then nerf the printer offered by unboxing. Make it a variant that only outputs 50% the amount a regular printer does, and call it a "mini printer". When it comes to raiding, I'd love to blacklist one-way props.

• Winner 1
1 minute ago, Garnet said:

I'd love to blacklist one-way props.

I think blacklisting one way props that are able to be shot through is a great option. 

One other thing I've noticed is not being able to nocollide without walking into props. Is there a reason bases can't use the nocollide tool? (Exploits or something?)

Though I don't want to lose my money, I would push for an economy reset if it meant a money making overhaul. Currently, there is too much of a dependence on printers. Here are my gripes:

Printer farming/base camping: 2 level 10 printers make around 200k an hour. 10 level 10s make a mil an hour. This is absurd. Not to mention, you can unbox printers, use an alt accounts printers, purchase printers from other players, and raid printers. This puts money printing at the top in terms of making money easily and reliably. This wouldn't be too much of a problem, but due to printers requiring coolers every 15 minutes, it leads to a very lazy playstyle of sitting in your base, tabbed out watching YouTube and making money. This makes raiding difficult, as people with enormous amounts of printers usually have really good bases, and additionally, they don't leave their base, meaning raiding when they come out/strategy raiding isn't possible. There is no reason for these players to leave their base, resulting in an endless printer farm quest with the only result being millions of extra dollars added into the economy. Additionally, raiding becomes useless because A) these users are impossible to raid and B) they 95% of the time destroy their printers and leave. These users don't interact with the community, don't add to the experience, don't participate in events or server discussions, and hinder gameplay. 

Other jobs: My little brother plays on this server, and I have to, heartbroken, tell him he can't play on gun dealer, his favorite class. Reason being it makes no money. Idealistically, gun dealers can charge only a couple thousand more than the F4 price in order to turn a profit. Even if they get 100 customers an hour, charging an extra 1000 for each gun, 2 level 10 printers still outclass a gun dealer. It's insane. The same goes for drug dealers and black market dealers, which are under utilized. I've been playing on DRP for almost 1000 hours, and still do not know the difference from either gun dealer. I've also rarely seen someone utilize the black market dealers, which is a shame. There is so much potential for black market dealers, adding something new other than lockpicks and grenades. Give BMDs sci-fi guns, or interesting and gimicky items. That's another suggestion for another day, but my point remains: there is no point to any dealer jobs, gun or otherwise. 

Alternatives of making money: There aren't a lot of these. Dueling is my favorite, and has allowed me to profit handsomely. However, not everyone duels, and the people who do don't always duel for high amounts. Plus, existing issues like duels randomly ending in ties and hitreg deter a lot of players from dueling. Once again, different suggestion for a different day. Besides dueling, there isn't much more. Meth Manufacturer is always a reliable job, but follows the same principles as printer farming, involving you staying in your base and monitoring your meth, as you cannot do anything but that due to the job rules. Robbing the bank is pointless, as you only make 100k every 30 minutes, and 3 or more cops need to be on work work. Not only that, but it is extremely tedious to press E 1000 times on a crate in a monowhite room. Cops don't even counter, as they're too busy enforcing a lockdown or standing outside a base, scouting for printers. Plus, the job is buggy and if you so happen to shoot the bank robber suitcase, it destroys in one hit and you now have a 30 minute cooldown until you can rob the bank again. Don't even get me started on weed dealer too. 

Solutions: There need to be more ways to make money that promote leaving the base. Deliveryman was a fantastic start towards a shift to active money making instead of passive money making. Though tedious and not the most effecient way to make money, I thouroughly enjoyed the job and the money and exp it gave the player. Sure, it gets boring as there's no challenge or variation, but at least it promotes leaving the base. Nerfing the printers is a start, but it's not an end all solution. People will still printer farm due to no other alternative being present. I would push for more GameMasters events with high end prizes, but since the GM director is scarcely on and GameMasters have to provide money out of pocket, events aren't worth it. If GM staff were given a balance to dish out for events, it could lead to not only an increase in events, but an increase of players participating in events. Dueling needs a re-haul, but that's entirely up to you. New duels, creative but not over crowded maps, and an increase on the limit of money allowed to duel with. A Bitcoin mining system would be awesome, with a huge risk investing in it, but a handsome profit if smart and successful. This would be an active way of making money, while still being inside a base. Player v Player chess add-ons/checkers/any board game would be a great addition as well, with the option to wager money and spectate tournaments. Give a better insentive to raid bases. As one of the most frequent raiders on the server, I can confidently say there is little to no point in raiding. Perks cost 20k. Raiding almost guarantees you lose health, meaning a repurchase of those perks. I use the F4 armor and health vials, costing 12500 for just one armor and health. That's already 35.5k I've spent. God forbid the person basing is solo, because 9 out of 10 times the person leaves. If the base is a huge party base, your chances of succeeding are already lowered. If you succeed, there's a 50/50 chance you aren't getting any of those printers, as the party members will disconnect/destroy them. Plus, if any party member returns to their base and kills you, breaking NLR, the worst punishment they receive is an NLR warn and possible RDM warn. In return, you lose your perks, you lose the raid, and you're out of money. 

In conclusion: This post was more of a rant than anything. Last time I spoke about this, it wasn't appreciated as it wasn't the place to say. What I've said above is in no way supposed to offend or disrespect you Garnet. Speaking from heart, DarkRP isn't the most entertaining game mode to begin with. That being said, the reason I've stayed for years now is because of the community and players on the server, already making it better than servers with hundreds of custom add-ons. What I've said above, although not organized and constructive, is simply to discuss the faults with the economy currently. Before the economy is wiped, I strongly suggest improving these areas and giving them a test run on the server. If they prove to be a positive change, then please by all means implement an economy reset, as the dirty money is floating around and players have too much money to spend currently. But please, do not reset the economy and then implement these systems. I will personally bug test live or work with you on improvements, as I've been actively playing Gmod DRP for 7 years now, playing on hundreds of different servers. As for an inventory wipe, I would like a couple of items to be saved. For instance, I have an AK 47 from one of my first times playing on GG DRP I received from Vapr, and it has been my treasured possession. I don't want to lose that. I also have some more unique, special items that I wish to keep as well (for instance, I have some Dank vapes that cannot be unboxed anymore, and a crossbow which is quite rare.) 

I know this comment was very unorganized, and ideas were thrown and not finished, but please hear me out. Test out some new features and improvements to the economy BEFORE resetting it. It is your server at the end of the day, and ultimately your choice, but consider what I've said. Please and thank you. Sorry for this shit show of a comment.

• Cringe 1
  • 300 IQ 1
  • Winner 1
10 minutes ago, eXg-Buddha said:

I would push for more GameMasters events with high end prizes, but since the GM director is scarcely on and GameMasters have to provide money out of pocket, events aren't worth it. If GM staff were given a balance to dish out for events, it could lead to not only an increase in events, but an increase of players participating in events

😎

This, I strongly agree with this.

If the server is having a Eco Wipe does this include level if so do people who prestige lose their prestige level?  Also i would like to keep items that i have in my unbox that were in the Old Unbox crates such as my Ares Strike and my Medkit that I got when I first joined.   I am also agreeing with Buddha here with the lack of money you make from other Jobs, weed only makes a few bucks and Meth is only good for the levels really.  Aswell as we need to make it so if your AFK too long on a job it should set you as Citizen since lots of people have to go without a gun because of AFK gun dealers.  Another thing i'd like to bring up is how fast duels can go people can get in and flick you in 1 shot and the duel is over there needs to be a prop or something to stop this from happening so its a fair Duel.

The main problem with the current economy in my opinion is that there's no type of money sink on the server.
What I mean is that people keep making money through printers and meth but there's nothing that "destroys" that money at the end of the day.
The only money sink currently implemented that I can think of is the unboxing thing, but it's not a necessity, people can just avoid using that and keep gaining absurd amounts of money.
Buying guns doesn't sink the money, it just transfers the money to other players, the money stays in the player market.

I have no idea what kind of money sink you can add to a DarkRP server, but it has to be something necessary for the progression of one's gameplay. Something like unlocking new jobs with money instead of all of them only being locked with levels, if you want to keep leveling up after a certain point you'll have to pay to the server ingame cash.

1 hour ago, Garnet said:

What I had in mind was to slightly nerf the maximum amount a printer can output by 5-10%, and then nerf the printer offered by unboxing. Make it a variant that only outputs 50% the amount a regular printer does, and call it a "mini printer". When it comes to raiding, I'd love to blacklist one-way props.

Unboxing printers is incredibly expensive and rare. I don't think they need to be nerfed this severely, but the 5-10% decrease would be effective. Without standard printers in the Garnet case, there is quite literally no reason to unbox these cases, due to their high prices. The printer is the most desirable item in a crate that costs 300k+ when bought with a key.