/Quiz Changes/Training

PraetorDon

Fate of the Quiz  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with the quiz?

• Keep it
    • Remove it
    • Expand/Rework it

So recently, I have been talking with a lot of newer players about their training and experience on the server.

One of the biggest complaints I get, is that /quiz really doesn't help them, no one trains anymore with the addition of /quiz, and there are too many rules+game knowledge required to move up.

I believe @VBSA  and other 2GA were working on a training video, but I'm not sure where that stands, correct me if I'm wrong. 

What I am proposing is a revamp+addition to /quiz,

I don't know about the feasibility of this, but US currently has a cinema player. We could use this to display a training video that would be mandatory for all new players to watch. Ideally, it would be no longer than 10 minutes. If they had any questions afterwords, they could be answered by a trainer. It could be located in the training room, the controller could be in the middle area that has doors that can lock on both sides, to prevent minges/trolls from accessing it (although I think RU door locks are broken right now, US should work fine).   Forgot this only works in chromium. Regardless, there should be a training video, it wouldn't hurt.

This thread will be updated with additional information when I have more time, I just wanted to get one of my ideas on  paper this morning.

Edit: Added a poll to gauge community opinion.

Edited by Praetor_Don
Updated

Problem - you need to run the game in Chromium which lots of players probably won’t wanna do, it can reduce frames and such. The best way to train people on the server is to train them.

its up to the leaders of the faction to make sure that their people train. 

• Agree 2

I supported the quiz initially but after seeing how it has played out I definitely feel like it needs to be removed. Training not happening is on the leaders and officers of the faction not enforcing how important recruiting is. 

• Agree 1
49 minutes ago, Tayler said:

I supported the quiz initially but after seeing how it has played out I definitely feel like it needs to be removed. Training not happening is on the leaders and officers of the faction not enforcing how important recruiting is. 

Facts

While a quiz that anyone can take by typing a simple command in the chat is convenient for everyone for the sake of time, it doesnt flesh out everything that a normal DI/DS would do. It's also good to note that there isnt a lack of recruiters, but a lack of recruiters who want to step up and do the recruiting. People wonder why base factions are dead when they do no recruiting whatsoever. Officers specifically need to be on top of this.

Also, this isnt that prevalent from what I've seen, but it's worth mentioning. A quiz system is in place so someone can go through training without supervision. They pass. They get whitelisted. They get a rifle. Within 5 minutes you got another MassRDM. (Again, I dont see it often, but the opportunity for that is increased with such a thing in place).

In my opinion, auto training is a process that has been implemented without thinking much and getting enough.
The new players need to solve the test by simply pressing f1 and reading the rules, without any smart training. We make players part of the army without enough knowledge. Apart from that, I think the number of questions is extremely insufficient. This is an RP server and knowing the rules is not enough to start the game. In order to be able to adapt to MRP, a very broad education and training is required.

I'm not even counting those who abuse auto training and benefit from it.

So my suggestion is it must be removed until it is improved.

Edited by VBSA2
  • Agree 1

Sorry for any grammatical mistakes, I’m writing this on my phone

I do not mean any disrespect to Garnet when is say this but this entire quiz system has had me angry since it was introduced. There is not enough information for recruits before they are given their white lists. The questions are either incorrect or their is not enough questions. Recruits are missing vital information such as PTS, how to request PTL, what “RU to DB” means, what are faces, and imo the most important thing they are missing is a connection to another player on the server(the recruiter).

I’m gonna be honest, when I first joined the server I joined to MassRDM, and I am sure that is the same for a lot of other people. If I had gone through a quiz system like this, I probably would have massed, but instead I didn’t and stayed because I found a community. Without recruiters or being properly trained, recruits have no idea what they are doing, they need someone to ask questions too and someone who can show them the basics.

Here is an example which has already been used before in another thread: Let’s say 11B PVT private is standing in line and breaks PTS but has no clue what PTS is, then 11B WO Mr.RP gets mad at them  for breaking PTS. If I was the private I would probably pull out my automatic weapon and mass on the spot from anger. I am sure we have all been yelled at before for something that we didn’t know we couldn’t do and I want you guys to think about how mad you were when that happened. These guys play games to have fun, not to get yelled at from a kid. 

Another argument can be brought up that these recruits can be trained after they take the quiz. This is possible but it is not a convenient option. For this to happen, recruiters would need to watch chat to see when someone passes the quiz, then they would need to watch the notifications in the bottom right of the screen to see which base faction they join(since they get while listed for all 3 base factions) and then finally after that they would need to somehow go find this random private who can be anywhere on the map since they do not even know what PTL is after they take the quiz. I hope you followed that. 

I am not saying that they old way was perfect, recruiters are people too and they need to go through proper training also. Recruiting was the first thing I worked on when I was given leadership of 2GA. I had implemented a system which motivated the recruiters to train. The main problem is that recruiters have no motivation and are not inspired to train recruits. I am not trying to brag here but before I had implemented this system within 2GA, we had been seeing highs of only 7 enlisted. After I had implemented the system we would have a high of 25 enlisted most days. One day we even had 38/88 players online in 2GA and these were during the dead months of September and October. This was one of my biggest accomplishments in 2GA and is why this quiz system has really touched home with me and why I have such strong opinions on it. I was informed about the system being implemented one day before it was added in. I knew that if not done properly then it would end to a lot of anger and a lot of confusion, and that is exactly what it has come too. 

To sum it up, recruits lack basic knowledge on PTS, PTL, Faces, DB, Objective points and the war system which leads to officers getting angry which then leads to the private’s getting angry and either massing or quitting the server. The recruits lack a connection to anyone on the server since they are basically getting trained by code and then have no reason not to mass. And recruiters need motivation to train otherwise they only do it when they are told.

Their is probably lots of grammatical errors within this post because I am using my phone, if anyone needs clarification on anything I said, please respond and I will try to clear things up.

Edited by AwesomeAidan
  • Like 1

I wanted to comment again seeing as though the thread has received little attention and I never really put a lot of input at first

The quiz should just be removed entirely. It has only created annoyance on the server with players gaining access to classes and not understanding any of the rules or way that the server works. The quiz completely throws away the guides and how they are meant to ensure the players are taught important details around the base and the server. Yeah, people are still gonna mass with or without the quiz but at least by physically giving training to players you are able to gauge their behavior and make the choice to train them or to not. With the quiz you don't have that option.

Also, the quiz itself is extremely basic with common sense shit that doesn't actually teach the player anything. And even if one question does stump the player or they get something wrong, the quiz has no cycle so they can simply just retake the quiz 30 seconds later and not actually pay attention to the answer but just choose it because they know it's the right answer.

To sum it up:

• The quiz doesn't give the players the valuable training that they should be receiving to actually understand what's going on
  • It has increased the amount of massing on the server (a noticeable amount)
  • Minge level has increased in base factions (like RDM)
  • Understanding of rules and other important details about the mode, factions, base ETC are not properly given to them

A separate point to add is how this affects Marines. Marines are still an entry faction but when a player passes the quiz they don't receive the Marine whitelists. Adding the Marine whitelist to the end of the quiz would not solve anything or make these points any less valid, but I thought it was worth mentioning because Marines struggle with this considering most players just do the quiz. The faction still has been able to hold a decent amount of numbers but not as many in comparison.

Generally just a lot is skipped because of this implementation.

I did support the quiz but I didn't initally think of how a lot of these issues would arise. Even with additions or changes made it wouldn't be all that helpful. A flat out removal of the quiz would be the best option. 2GA, Army and Marines are more than capable (at least should be) of picking up the slack on training and actually getting people trained when they are on the server, and if they aren't that's when the leader and officers start rearranging their DI's, do it themselves, or staff intervene in getting people to train.

Edited by Tayler
1st edit - words | 2nd edit - part about Marines
  • Agree 6

I will elaborate a bit more on what I said above.
As I said, it is a decision that has been put into effect without thinking enough.

Newcomers spawn in a room and think they can run out and do whatever they want. (because there is not even a door to lock) When we kill them, they try the Quiz system they see in the chat and get a whitelist. And now we have a soldier who doesn't know the rules and thinks he can do what he wants. (they usually mass)

At the same time, it makes no sense to delete the whitelist of a soldier who refuses to follow the rules. Because he can simply type / quiz and get his whitelist back, and he continues to do the same shit.

If a quiz-related education is a must, there are a lot of things to do. And after these are done, a quiz system should be introduced.

1- A spawn room with a quality that newcomers can educate themselves by reading the writings on the walls. (They don't even know how to change their name in the current situation. Or how to call the trainer.)

2- The door of the room can be locked (Please)

3- Giving a choice to the people in the room. (They get more detailed training by the instructor or use a direct / quiz. But my preference is to give priority to the Instructor and use the / quiz system as a last resort.)

4- People who have passed the exam before cannot take the exam again. (or a rule about it)

The / quiz system should not have been put into use until these stages were completed. And thats why i believe that this system is a system that has been put into effect without thinking thoroughly.

In short, the / quiz system can only be improved with a higher quality RR. But we haven't seen a single step about it for weeks, and it has made the server pretty uninspiring.

One of the best places where we can show the army spirit and seriousness to newcomers is the training phase. People who start the game without contacting any RFR/Officer are bored and leave the server without spending 1 hour on the server because they cannot adapt themselves to the MRP mentality. And that's why the server's numbers are also affected.

excuse my shitty grammar

Edited by VBSA2
add some stuff
41 minutes ago, VBSA said:

At the same time, it makes no sense to delete the whitelist of a soldier who refuses to follow the rules. Because he can simply type / quiz and get his whitelist back, and he continues to do the same shit.

4- People who have passed the exam before cannot take the exam again. (or a rule about it)

I'm pretty sure once you take the quiz, taking it another time does not re-whitelist you if you lost those whitelists

• Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The Garnut
On 3/6/2020 at 8:09 PM, AwesomeAidan said:

I do not mean any disrespect to Garnet when is say this but this entire quiz system has had me angry since it was introduced. There is not enough information for recruits before they are given their white lists. The questions are either incorrect or their is not enough questions. Recruits are missing vital information such as PTS, how to request PTL, what “RU to DB” means, what are faces, and imo the most important thing they are missing is a connection to another player on the server(the recruiter).

And now that you're a manager, how about you clarify what you think should be different with the quiz questions?

quiz is not going away seeing as our recruits are not up-to-standard in efficiency or activity, and as such, we used to have tens of people waiting to be trained for nearly an hour. I can genuinely attribute the quiz system to our population growth, going back into a 100+ players at peak times server, down from 50-60 with a bunch of recruits being unable to play due to the sheer laziness of some of the members of entry factions.

• Agree 1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Guidelines