[MRP] The Re-Evaluation of AFSOC/Event Server

Ting

The Re-Evaluation of AFSOC/Event Server

Description: Currently, there are many different things wrong with the event server and the factions supposed to be connected to it. Shrimps, while he did a good job at first, failed to provide what the entire population of the server was promised. We all know and are troubled that he was hospitalized for a long period of time. However, this is not an excuse that can be used for what has been happening recently. As we all know, the situation with Buddha has left Garnet at a serious distrust of shrimps and his involvement with the event server. This leaves the entirety of GG at a disadvantage because of the RP capabilities taken away. While that is perfectly fine, as GG has been provided with people who have been able to give sufficient RP to the rest of the server. However what is not fine as of right now are the things that shrimps had suggested onto the server. In this suggestion, I will be going over two different topics. The first will be discussing the role of AFSOC, or lack thereof, on the server.

AFSOC

Description: Every single member of USSOCOM can agree, AFSOC is currently useless. There are many different reasons for its removal OR reevaluation. In this suggestion, I am asking the executive team, specifically Garnet, to look over AFSOC’s purpose and its significance. I will start with the current status of AFSOC as that is the most apparent issue. In AFSOC, there are three members, Tayler, Shrimps, and blooms. Each has their own issues, which I respect, but need to be addressed. I will start with the supposed leader of the faction, shrimps. Shrimps has been extremely inactive with his faction. While people may think that this is a fib, he has not been paying attention to the faction he's supposed to be leading. I do not want to make this post about his removal, but it should be looked into. Shrimps was on a few days ago, however he thought he was above the law of the server, changing his name to “eXg TCS oiPrey DaB CHIEF shrimps”. Now, I can go on and on about how shrimp doesn't see himself as a user, however this should not be the image that MRP is given. If they have a supposed leader attempting to make fun of multiple groups in the community it does not reflect well. Then I'm discussing his actual leadership. I don’t believe I have seen shrimp ONCE on any AFSOC class or even name. It is somewhat disappointing to see as many members of the community respect shrimp as a strong leader within the community. The next member on the list is Tayler. Tayler has been extremely inactive and uninvolved. This is much less important as he is not in a leadership position, however all added up, leads to the demise of the faction. Then finally blooms, the most active and committed member of the faction. Blooms has been an exceptional role model for the rest of the community and is doing well. However, due to his deployment in the Air Force, he will not be able to play on the server from wednesday, May 6th. This is upsetting but still needs some sort of light shined upon it. My next topic is AFSOCs role in the server itself. Currently, with no members and no planes added, AFSOC is useless. There is no point at all in keeping them a faction if the event server is not being utilized anymore. AFSOC’s main goal on the server was to act as an event server faction, serving as the pilots. While at first glance, this seemed like a great addition, with the inactivity combined with lack of events, there is no use at all for them. Now, I have written a lot and it has almost seemed like a rant. However, the reason that I provided this suggestion is because of many members of the community not being happy with the result. That brings me to my final point, the expectations. When the server was told that there was going to be a AFSOC faction, everyone was excited. After about 4 days of them being added, that excitement was lost due to nothing happening with it. I understand that recently shrimps have been dealing with finals but if he was on just the other day making fun of people, his excuse is no longer valid. I have respect for shrimps, as he was able to change MRP a lot, but the true question is, was it for the better of the community, or himself.

TLDR ; AFSOC did not live up to their expectations in terms of activity and use. This could easily be grounds for the removal of the leadership, or best case, faction in its entirety.

Event Server

Description: I am going to keep this portion of the suggestion very brief, as the bulk of it was meant to be about AFSOC. However, the event server still needs to be looked at again. With Garnet saying in the chat box that he would no longer be working with shrimps on the event server, there needs to be a change of leadership. Now, I have an idea that may be unpopular, but I would do it based on a vote. Have garnet evaluate every candidate that respected members of the community choose (NOT JUST MEMEWARE). Then when a final list is put together, the community would then use a “+1/-1” system (with reasons of course). Like I said before, this may be unpopular, but it is the best way in which garnet can see who the community prefers for RP. NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT. If Garnet (which he most likely will) not choose to do this, or not even find a stand in for shrimps, it is necessary for the event server to be shut down. Currently, if the posts about monetization are correct, Garnet would benefit greatly without another server to pay for. There are many reasons why I would personally choose to do this instead of keeping the event server alive, but I am speaking on behalf of a pretty large group of people, not for myself. I think shrimps did a pretty good job setting up all of the event server things, but now that he no longer is active + is not trusted by garnet, there needs to be a re-evaluation. Also, I would like to point out, the current game masters (Homast and Gythem I believe) have not really been doing their duties. I know that in no way is this their fault, but instead the fault of the leader. I don't believe a reevaluation of the normal Game Master team is needed, but the leadership requires it.

TLDR ; Reevaluate the event server itself, along with the leadership. If no replacement is found for shrimps, a removal of the event server will benefit the rest of the community greatly.

DISCLAIMER

This is not in ANY way, shape, or form a “witch hunt” for shrimps. It is just that he has promised so many things, gained the trust of so many people, but has not delivered. This may be a hard pill for the executive team to swallow, but it has to be brought up some way. I actually respect shrimps as a fellow community member, but due to his actions (I understand I am not perfect either) some sort of change needs to occur. A lot of members have problems with shrimps due to his egotistical way of seeing things, but that is not what I am trying to point out in this suggestion. However, it has been seen as to effect AFSOC and the event server negatively

We all love the event server, at least I know GB had liked it. It would be such a shame if it were to be removed. However, what needs to be done, needs to be done. There are many candidates that I believe would work well as the Head Game Master, but it is up to Garnet in the end.

I honestly hope that people read this whole thing, I think every point that was made is something that NEEDS to be brought up with the executive team as well as Garnet. I understand that my actions these past few weeks have been sub-par, but please don't let that affect this suggestion. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Cringe 4
  • Spicy 1
  • Informative 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 5
15 minutes ago, Ting said:

Then finally blooms, the most active and committed member of the faction. Blooms has been an exceptional role model for the rest of the community and is doing well. However, due to his deployment in the Air Force, he will not be able to play on the server from wednesday, May 6th. This is upsetting but still needs some sort of light shined upon it.

I appreciate this and again it is entirely upsetting as I wanted for AFSOC to work I spent a lot of my personal time on AFSOC on the server. Ive put countless hours into training docs and trying to set a good example as a leader in the faction. I've not ever had a leadership position on the server before and was extremely humbled (and grateful) that shrimps even offered me the spot. 

With all that being said, I want AFSOC to remain because I have put so much time and effort into it. I think AFSOC can be a amazing RP faction and I have personally been thinking of a lot of ideas for the event server and have been working on a mission that can tie in all 3 "specs" of AFSOC as well as most of the other factions. This RP scenario would take several days to complete and upon completion for each "day" would be a new set of missions that would create a amazing story. I personally would love AFSOC to work and would love to come back from this short 3 month deployment and see AFSOC and the event server to thrive. 

Garnet if you do read this I would love to discus this situation with you personally if you have the time (I know your a busy guy).

But hey if it all doesn't work out at least I could say I tried 🙂

• Like 4
  • Friendly 2
  • Agree 1
13 minutes ago, blooms said:

I have personally been thinking of a lot of ideas for the event server and have been working on a mission that can tie in all 3 "specs" of AFSOC as well as most of the other factions.

The community has to many great ideas for events, and there are so many different possibilities. I believe that it’s just that shrimps doesn’t listen to anyone else which can be extremely frustrating. 

14 minutes ago, blooms said:

Garnet if you do read this I would love to discus this situation with you personally if you have the time (I know your a busy guy).

If you are concerned about reserves, I am sure that you will gain them. 

• 300 IQ 1
  • Friendly 1
2 minutes ago, Ting said:

If you are concerned about reserves, I am sure that you will gain them. 

Not really worried about reserves. If I get them then cool but if I don't that's fine as well. I am just wanting to make sure after the work I put in AFSOC will keep on moving.

• Like 1

I truly think that AFSOC could be an amazing faction it just needs help taking off. We have 3 great people leading the faction but with a rise in inactivity, and even military deployment, we need to re-assess the situation. I believe that AFSOC does not need to be removed. And I personally, as a SOC member never agreed that AFSOC is useless. AFSOC is not useless, its just not used! If AFSOC gained prestigious members it would be an incredible faction. I truly believe that AFSOC should stay and just be re-amped and given another start. For the roles of AFSOC, yes they were supposed to be pilots on the event server, but that is not the only thing they do.  AFSOC contains operators, and PJs. These are not unvaluable on the regular server. Their duty is when the SEALs are in trouble they come to rescue them. They are useful in this sense to help support SOC factions lets say when losing OBJ or a botched raid. There are so many more opportunities for AFSOC it just needs to be nurtured until it can stand on its own. 

• Agree 1
  • MilitaryRP Super-Admin

AFSOC just needs a new leader lol. Shrimps made it, did fuck all with it, made it a handpick faction, and then abandoned it. Don’t dislike the guy in the slightest but I dislike the way he disrespected the privileges he was handed. If this faction wants to exist and wants to be taken seriously, it needs a creative, strong, and active leader.

Off-Topicish:Someone who comes to mind is @Soappppp. Not gonna lie, I wasn’t a fan of Stork when I came back. Thought he was pompous and let his toxic flag fly because he was protected by his faction-mates and associates. However, he’s toned all that shit down and has really attempted to move the server in a positive direction.

As far as your suggestion for the event server and GMs moving forward, you have the right idea but wrong execution imo. Also you have to realize Homast and Gythem had little to no power as GM’s. I don’t believe that the community should just posture up candidates for a job. That breeds a fake atmosphere of people acting for reward. Players who are actively engaging in role play and doing their part to encourage not just SOC/Spetz but even Base Factions, should be noted in private. I’m a big fan of the saying, “it’s what you do when no ones watching”. Garnet and the 3 Amigos should be passively gathering feedback from the community as it pertains to exemplary role play. Then, once there are some frequent flyers, the execs can begin some more formal interviewing to see the right man for the job.

• Like 1
  • 300 IQ 2
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, Ting said:

Currently, if the posts about monetization are correct, Garnet would benefit greatly without another server to pay for.

@Garnet can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he is paying for GMC's "bare metal server machines" as all of the Gmod servers share the same IP - getting rid of the event server wouldn't have any effect on monetization. And it wouldn't affect the performance of the other servers assuming it sits empty: by default empty Gmod servers hibernate (slow/dumb down server simulation to save power and cpu usage), will still have an affect on overall memory usage (do keep in mind these machines generally have upwards of 32GB RAM, "server grade", and if this was to effect performance we'd already be seeing it).

Aside from that, I do believe this suggestion is a bit unnessecary. It's obvious that something needs to be done with AFSOC and the event server, which levels down to the points that you do make about the players who should be involved with both of them (and are in some cases unfortunately not involved, their fault or not). Personally I'd like to hope that somebody who is both willing and competent steps up to continue and redefine AFSOC and the event server, separately. Shrimps offered plenty of ideas, some of which I agree with and others I disagree with, but the execution of them (and some not so friendly ideas, sorry not sorry) definitely killed the hype behind "bringing roleplay back to the community".

• Informative 1

I'm really confused how you're going to dive into this suggestion to change the faction when it's not even setup? I havent played for maybe 2 days and that apparently means that I've been inactive and havent done anything for the faction. Sorry that I didnt feel like getting on because I wanted to enjoy a different game while I patiently waited for the faction to be implemented correctly. Literally cant do anything without the faction being setup on the server OR the event server which while shrimps was still GM wasnt even on there at all. And again no idea how you're going to claim I have no involvement yet I have my own modules created that I was told to make. I've been on the server practically everyday besides maybe a few days this week because of the mentioned reasons above.

No idea why you're trying to speak for others but its probably best you didnt.

• Like 1
  • Spicy 2
  • Agree 3
9 hours ago, Ting said:

eXg TCS oiPrey DaB CHIEF shrimps

Him just having his name as this, isn't anything bad in itself.
Was he actively saying "See all of these clans? They're fucking retarded and are on my hitlist"?
No, He uh... He wasn't.

9 hours ago, Ting said:

I don’t believe I have seen shrimp ONCE on any AFSOC class or even name

AFSOC CDR Orca, I guarantee you've seen him on.

9 hours ago, Ting said:

have not really been doing their duties

We haven't even been trained properly.
Our duties were to facilitate, and aid with growing the RP aspect of the server, Something which I've actually been helping with, by working closely with Stork and others to make these in game RP events that people have been doing.

Also it's just me at the moment. I'm the only Game Master remaining I suppose?

As for Running my own events? I GM 2 DnD Games, Both of which require me to plan shit out like a week ahead, So that's one of the reasons I haven't come out with my own event, But that's not to say that I haven't worked on one of my own, which is still in the making.

• Cringe 2
  • MilitaryRP Super-Admin
14 minutes ago, Homast said:

Was he actively saying "See all of these clans? They're fucking retarded and are on my hitlist"?
No, He uh... He wasn't.

He didn’t. But it seemed VERY hypocritical for him to be condemning those making light of Panini’s ordeal and then he throws CHIEF in his name for some cheap laughs.

• Agree 4

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here what will happen to the rest of the Game master division? People worked hard to receive a game master rank, and it will be sad to take that away. Feel like Game masters should work together and create more Role-play experience for everyone. Personally, the game master should be staff division of some sort, and work on the central server first before going into the event server. AFSOC, I think AFSOC has room to improve needs a leader and needs a decent amount and competent members, feel like someone Taylor can be the leader for this faction to kick start it this faction, plus the faction classes even setup didn't get started right just was left in the dark. Think the faction is in well deserved of a 2nd chance. 

Edited by Dexx
  • Friendly 1
  • Agree 1
31 minutes ago, Homast said:

AFSOC CDR Orca, I guarantee you've seen him on.

AFSOC CDR Orca was online like 5 times in the past 2 months, And when he was on he'd just play 30 mins and dip. That's not really "active"

IMO @Tayler should be the leader of AFSOC.

33 minutes ago, Homast said:

No, He uh... He wasn't.

When he put that in his name he was GM, Event Director and AFSOC Commander. If I had any of those roles alone I wouldnt have done that. Yet he has all 3 of them and still did it

• Friendly 1
  • Agree 1

What purpose does AFSOC currently serve that couldn't be done by another faction currently on US?

It never really accomplished what it was designed to do. If more RP is desired, then all factions need to participate, not just one. 

Edited by Praetor_Don
  • 300 IQ 5

Regarding AFSOC: Activity wise there isn’t much of an issue I see. Blooms plays almost daily, Taylor is on regularly (maybe not at all hours of the day like most players), and for shrimps he’s been on the server a handful of times but he could be more active. Also I’m aware of blooms’ coming deployment but blooms isn’t the only person in afsoc and they can bounce back from this loss. But one reason why you don’t see more activity out of AFSOC and why It was called a “handpick faction” is because its still being setup. The classes still haven’t been properly setup yet making it difficult to do things like hold tryouts so that it isn’t a “handpick faction”. Now I’m not knocking garnet for not having the classes setup as he’s had a lot on his plate recently but this is something I constantly hear blooms talking about. They want to take AFSOC in the right direction but it’s hard to do so when it’s still in  it’s early stages

Regarding the event server and gm’s: I personally don’t know much about the event server and how it operates but from my understanding it’s still relatively new and I would hate to see it go so soon. For game masters like homast said it’s still, like AFSOC, being setup and the fact that right now they’re limited to doing events on the main server makes it a bit more challenging considering all they have to work with is what the main server has to offer. Not saying it’s impossible for them to do their job but we also had a recent map switch so they have to adapt and change their events to fit Siberia.

Conclusion: I don’t think the removal of AFSOC, Event Server, and GM’s needs to take place. But rather with some possible change of leadership and re-execution we can hopefully get AFSOC and the event server on its feet and get everything running smoothly. Just my thoughts.

Edited by Not Naitsir
  • Agree 1

I say give AFSOC more time. If the faction is not even set up, I don’t think you can really argue with that as it is in its early stages. It definitely can improve if you put up a leader who knows what he’s doing. I’ve heard good things about @Tayler and he will probably be a great fit for that position.

Edited by Topshot1
  • Agree 2