DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

I'm thinking it's time I re-write/revamp MRP?

In my opinion I would be for this change, seeing the current state of the server, with the low populations, and as many of us players have said before one of the main reasons for people leaving is repetitiveness. This idea I feel would make it a lot more interesting and fun, as the idea of having a sort of "Always on going War" meaning the Objectives that would always be active and be hostile areas would really change how MilitaryRP is currently played in GarnetGaming.

Although there are a few players that might reject the idea, and really be against this, I feel this would benefit the server, as a lot of the NCOs are coming on for the fun of being with people they meet, training, and other things.

This being an idea revolving around Staff hosting events, I feel would bring much more needed RolePlay for more players to join and stay, as well as this could give Officers the opportunity to take their people and have more things to do like recon missions, hostage taking ( If Enemies are at the Sites ), etc.

This would give the opportunity for factions to make plans of attack, schedule attacks to take the objectives and it would add more roleplay for Spying missions, it would incourage the hostage taking to learns the plans, and learn when they're happening.

I really like this Idea and it would change for the better.

Edited by Mark-
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
5 minutes ago, Flak said:

Personally, I do not think this would be best for the server. The war system is what sets us apart from other servers. Excuse me for name dropping but why would people wanna join a 20-30 player version of icefuse while they have constant 100+ players. Sorry for the short response but this is just my input on the subject since im sure that's what you're looking for by posting this

At this point it would be better to take drastic change in hopes that the server loses it's repetitiveness or just continue with our way of doing things now that would end up slowly losing players until the server is ultimately left to nothing as it will remain with just wars, trainings and tryouts, just those three things. It would be better to try a very different thing that would possibly help the server, or as garnet says, wait until the shutdown imminently comes,

Edited by Mark-
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I honestly don't see this working very well. 

The main issues that MRP faces are mainly internal, i.e. staff and officers. I don't want to sound rude, but have you been playing on the server on an alt or anything? Again, it's not easy to tell this from an outsiders perspective.

I know a while back the idea of a progression system for wars was tossed around. For example, perks and class load-outs that you would unlocked as you leveled up, similar to Modern Warfare. I think a lot of people would like to see this, but I'm not sure if you'd be up to this level of a project.

The discussion and enforcement of RP is what split the community before, and is a small reason why we're in the state we're in. It's been a war server for a very long time, we should cater to that. Homast has made some sweet suggestions on how to balance weapons and is working on some RP events too I believe @Homast

I'm having some difficulty putting what I want say in writing, so if you want to talk about it in ts or something, let me know.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • The Garnut

No, unfortunately I genuinely do not have enough time to play myself any longer, but this is why I appoint managers who have the option of being on a paid role to literally keep the servers’ logistics in check. Currently I am not in contact with most if not all the current staff team members, and I’m mostly in the blue. We can either make a change in hopes to fix things, or simply ride this out with the potential of the sever dying. I don’t have anybody I can appoint who would magically fix things 

19 minutes ago, Garnet said:

No, unfortunately I genuinely do not have enough time to play myself any longer, but this is why I appoint managers who have the option of being on a paid role to literally keep the servers’ logistics in check. Currently I am not in contact with most if not all the current staff team members, and I’m mostly in the blue. We can either make a change in hopes to fix things, or simply ride this out with the potential of the sever dying. I don’t have anybody I can appoint who would magically fix things 

I messaged you on steam with some comments that I didn't want to post publicly, let me know what you think.

As a Army Major i think its a good change there is nothing except the same sim and tryouts everyday. Same with staff there is only a few things anyone can do and change is a good thing right now. The community needs something to do and i love the idea. Sure it might not be perfect but we can fix problems as we go.

A larger scale map and cars would help and it would be awesome to see AFSOC and RAF on the server. It would help because right now the server is not going up in numbers its staying the same people complain about burnout and this would start to move in the right direction I get on almost day and i can tell you that this would help people including me because I have  been playing everyday for months now and its starting to get boring as of now its war sims and tryouts, And this is starting to get boring for everyone.

We need to get rid of that with fun role play scenarios it is a role play server after all and this in my opinion is going to be a much needed change to the server.

• Like 1
  • Cringe 3
  • Disagree 2

To give an outside perspective, I think this would be good for the community. There always seem to be issues with MRP as there is always conflict and arguing on the forums. If you look at the population post, everyone is saying what they think is wrong, but no one is giving viable solutions. With the problems in MRP being all over, reforming the server might be the best way to go. With the amount of time the server has been running, the current state of it is an insult to how it was intended to be. To the people who have problems with a potential re-write, I have one question for you: Are you happy with the way the server is now? If you aren't, what do you have to lose from a new formation? 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

I feel my opinion is rather complicated and could potentially send the wrong message, so I have edited this post to make it known that I personally feel the type of gameplay we have, when done right, is perfect and unique. The main issue with that, however, is at the end of the day this is a [semi-serious] roleplay server. I've argued for the past 2 years since I've joined many different directions for this server, and after a discussion with people outside of my own thinking I have decided that I agree with Garnet's idea to go to this "all-time war" style. Some statements and issues I addressed in my original response still stand, and I will leave the unedited response below in a quote for those interested in reading it.

I have ideas for how I feel the MRP community should proceed, but these ideas are not a reflection of what everybody thinks and I'd like to have a real discussion about it. My ideas aren't complete and some clash with eachother in how they should be implemented and balanced.

My original response:

I believe the type of gameplay that we have right now does pretty well. Our problems as a community (MRP, obv) is that there isn't anything to do between wars, most people AFK all day keeping the player count up but with nothing going on (even during wars), people don't tend to stay on for very long. That's where the roleplay and event stuff comes into play. That's issue number one and causes things like a player cycle, where "dedicated" members of the community are the only ones who tend to stay and rotate throughout factions. A possible solution would be addons and activities that integrate (whether manually or automatically) with roleplay and events; a worthwhile investment of time (and/or money).

Issue number two is faction and staff management. Most of the time, there are upwards of 5 staff on, so its surprising to find that reports or requests go unanswered because people are tabbed out doing x, y, or z. Factions aren't being taken care of very well either, I'm not going to point fingers on who caused this but there is no real structure which allows friend groups to embed and control. There is where Icefuse excels, they have proper structure throughout the two nations and staff keep their highest leaders in check. A possible solution would be to create and utilize a similar structure; I don't have it written out to be given as a suggestion and I'd like more people to be involved in its addition.

Issue number three is a major concern for you. Performance for client and server to ensure a clean, smooth gameplay experience for most people. I understand that you host all of the Gmod servers (aside from TTT) on the same machine to save on money as GMC's hosting is rather expensive. My response to the other thread wasn't meant to be an attack but Bizzy left you with poorly developed addons. Based on what you've said, most of the addons use inefficient methods of storing data (squads, war nations, objectives) and likely drawing UI. The addons seem to be static, disallowing easy modification. They're left with many (easily solveable) errors. In short, they need updated and revamped, but keeping the same style of gameplay.

And there are other issues but I don't want to write a massive response about them, that and they might be not be considered issues to other people. Lastly, however, we need progression in gameplay alongside the progression in RP (ranks and factions, which can be handled by staff and the community). Perks and other things would be perfect here. A revamped credit store and maybe even another vending machine or whatever would fit. I can think of a few perks but making them both fair and valuable in gameplay is a difficult balance.

Edited by Torch
Grammar, ayy
  • Like 3
  • Informative 1
  • Agree 1

(DISCLAIMER: If you find anything I say in this thread offensive and or hurtful, Then I am sorry. I want whats best for the server and im damn well sure others do to. I am not trying to go at anyone's neck but someone needs to step up to the plate. Might catch a ban after this but that's fine by me. Someone's gotta say it. So, Sorry. Not Sorry.)

1 hour ago, Garnet said:

Going to leave this thread short and effective. For awhile now I've felt I wanted to completely re-write the MilitaryRP server but haven't done so out of a fear of backlash/retaliation 

Dude, I'm sorry but you gotta not take backlash to heart. Especially being a server owner. You should be the one taking charge. If you recieve backlash of someone saying some dumb shit like "OmG tHE SerVER Is SoO ShiTTy MaN!!!!" Then just fucking ban them or warn them. There's no reason on why you should be letting any sort of backlash affecting you as a server owner. If you do, then shit will crumble and nobody will have any sort of respect for you. 

1 hour ago, Garnet said:

My idea has been a larger-scaled map (as some people may know) while potentially integrating a limited amount of aircrafts for some AFSOC and RAF members. 

I thought you stated  a while ago while I was in vega that you wanted to make the server more cqc, sharing many similarities as insurgency? Although, I do feel as if A bigger map with more OBJ's that can be constantly capped would be a good idea for the server algorithm.  

1 hour ago, Garnet said:

The premise of the server would ultimately revolve around staff members hosting events.

Or down the line you could make certain gamemodes that don't have to made by staff member. They could be in charge making sure everything is in check while officers do certain missions while creating a rp story line. 

1 hour ago, Garnet said:

However, with how things are going right now, I have no close communication with any part of the staff team, and I see an imminent server shut down unless something changes. 

I hope you aren't blaming your staff on this. @JimTrash has been grinding his fucking ass off as manager to make sure shit is stable within the server while you are almost never on. IMO I have seen little appearances from you on the militaryRP servers. Really the only time I have seen you on MRP or making interactions with MRP would be when the server would be hitting a downfall. You wanna bring up close communication? There you go. 

"It's almost as if people who wanted to make a change could join the staff team and influence the players 😮 but nobody's going to go that far, they'll just be nostalgia sluts".

"It was directed in general at anybody who says they're upset by the state of MilitaryRP. I can update the server all day, but until the actual players have a change of attitude or somebody worthy steps up, things will just continue going down-hill man."

The fact that you have that mindset about MRP and it's player base is mind boggling. This is the community that YOU MADE. the servers YOU MADE. If you cared about your servers you should be constantly having interactions with the player base in game. Not just on forums. You have the competent staff members (IMO the best staff members rn are @0zzy @JimTrash @Gythem and @Naitsir).

@Garnet ,  I love this server, It's been my home for years and the people in the community have helped me in some of the darkest depth in the past and I don't want that to end anytime soon. You just need to know that the staff team can't fix the servers on their own. If you aren't constantly making positive changes when player base if up and or down. Then the server, the community and the family you created will fall. Nobody, Nobody that plays currently wants to see that. Because of the friendships they built, the money and time they spent to be where they are now and overall the old home feeling that we all felt at one point or another on this server. Please Garnet, We need you as much as you need us. Make the changes. This is our last shot. 

• Disagree 3
55 minutes ago, Redacted said:

Dude, I'm sorry but you gotta not take backlash to heart. Especially being a server owner. You should be the one taking charge. If you recieve backlash of someone saying some dumb shit like "OmG tHE SerVER Is SoO ShiTTy MaN!!!!" Then just fucking ban them or warn them. There's no reason on why you should be letting any sort of backlash affecting you as a server owner. If you do, then shit will crumble and nobody will have any sort of respect for you. 

I agree with this to an extent but seeing as Garnet doesn't have the time to play MRP it would be dumb to do random shit without knowing how the playerbase feels about stuff. 

55 minutes ago, Redacted said:

I hope you aren't blaming your staff on this. @JimTrash has been grinding his fucking ass off as manager to make sure shit is stable within the server while you are almost never on. IMO I have seen little appearances from you on the militaryRP servers. Really the only time I have seen you on MRP or making interactions with MRP would be when the server would be hitting a downfall. You wanna bring up close communication? There you go. 

Jim has just started to grind his ass off, No offence to Jim but when Aidan/D Rose where managers he was lazy af. And yes Garnet hasn't been on MRP in forever but I also doubt he spends much time on other Garnet servers. The system he has now where managers submit him info on what he can do should work and I think it's working to an extent. Right now most of MRPs problems have to do with the people who play and not any coding/data etc. 

I personally can not remember the last time a player who hasn't been around for a while has passed any SOC tryouts.  And that's another big issue currently. Tryouts are a rare occasion nowadays. Theres only like 3/4 active SOC factions on the entire server atm.  Heres how I personally feel for the factions atm. 

PDSS - Active/Skilled and rather full now so it makes sense they don't host many tryouts currently. 

GRU - Dead faction, Reeper is the only person who plays. Hysteria went on LOA and made Willie in charge of it while he's gone. And I haven't seen Willie on for 1 week. Making the faction 100% dead rn. 

Vega - Pretty small player count (which a T1 fac should), all of the people in it are skilled. 

2GA - Dead af, The only people who play it are officers. 

Army - Has become alright since it's big slump, Pretty active WO/Officers and usually has a couple enlisted.

Seals - Semi-Active (Gythems on LOA) , We've started hosting tryouts again.

MARSOC - Currently pretty inactive, basically just see Lala and Apollo and ocassionally lark 

GB - Is now resetting after the faction was left to die. 

Rangers - 1/2 weeks ago I logged on to see a good amount of Rangers who all are rather decent. And now I've not seen a single soul on for 2 days (Vizii was last one I saw) So what the fuck happened here. 

IMO the management team should look over the factions and fix them slowly but steadily.  Put in some competant leaders for the high ranks and let them build the faction back. 

If people in all SOC factions just start being active and doing shit again I have no doubt the server can start to prosper again.  Roleplay and Events are fine but should not be the heavy focus rn. 

Edited by DannKeb
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • The Garnut
1 hour ago, Redacted said:

(DISCLAIMER: If you find anything I say in this thread offensive and or hurtful, Then I am sorry. I want whats best for the server and im damn well sure others do to. I am not trying to go at anyone's neck but someone needs to step up to the plate. Might catch a ban after this but that's fine by me. Someone's gotta say it. So, Sorry. Not Sorry.)

If you recieve backlash of someone saying some dumb shit like "OmG tHE SerVER Is SoO ShiTTy MaN!!!!" Then just fucking ban them or warn them.

Super contradictory, saying you're worried about getting banned for voicing your opinion of me, then urging me to ban people who are dissatisfied with the way I run things. Don't worry buddy, I respect you and appreciate your opinion.

I thought you stated  a while ago while I was in vega that you wanted to make the server more cqc, sharing many similarities as insurgency? Although, I do feel as if A bigger map with more OBJ's that can be constantly capped would be a good idea for the server algorithm.  

I'm largely torn between heavy CQC or all-out long engagements. Both possibilities can be achieved with the same performance and in the same timeframe, whether it's a large map with a lot of low detailed structures, or a smaller, super dense and highly detailed map. The larger, less detailed map, would allow for the potential use of aircrafts and vehicles more often. I too am torn as to what's the better resolution, and I'm not able to receive concrete user cricisim.

Or down the line you could make certain gamemodes that don't have to made by staff member. They could be in charge making sure everything is in check while officers do certain missions while creating a rp story line. 

The is the idea with the Gamemasters update I've been wanting to implement, but don't feel as though the current state of the server would receive well. Can give it a try as a last resort.

I genuinely think you have this backwards, but that is fine, because you've never ran a larger gaming network (no offense). Jim has by far had the lowest engagement with me out of ANY Super Administrator we've had to date. Now that the server is struggling I find myself contacting Aidan and D Rose who have resigned more than him, and he is well aware of the fact that I feel as though our communication is lacking (he has acknowledged this and said he would make a better effort) which he has, but currently, he has not contacted me in reference to the state of the server and what can be done (other than implementing the GameMasters system). I do not appear on the servers, I have no time. For the past 2 days I exclusively worked on TTT for 10+ hours a day, and prior to that it was StarwarsRP/MilitaryRP concepts I was working on to potentially implement (revamped event system which got scrapped). I have been here for nearly a decade, it is unreasonable to expect for me to be able to play on each server for a reasonable length of time to gather an insight. Heck, we have 10 servers that require this same thing. This is why we have a system of Managers who are supposed to link the communication gap on my behalf by staying ontop of the state of the server, which is not taking place currently.

The fact that you have that mindset about MRP and it's player base is mind boggling. This is the community that YOU MADE. the servers YOU MADE. If you cared about your servers you should be constantly having interactions with the player base in game. Not just on forums. You have the competent staff members (IMO the best staff members rn are @0zzy @JimTrash @Gythem and @Naitsir).

would suggest you refer to the above with reasoning as to why it's unrealistic for me to still be actively getting on the server/directly communication with players. It's impossible.

@Garnet ,  I love this server, It's been my home for years and the people in the community have helped me in some of the darkest depth in the past and I don't want that to end anytime soon. You just need to know that the staff team can't fix the servers on their own. If you aren't constantly making positive changes when player base if up and or down. Then the server, the community and the family you created will fall. Nobody, Nobody that plays currently wants to see that. Because of the friendships they built, the money and time they spent to be where they are now and overall the old home feeling that we all felt at one point or another on this server. Please Garnet, We need you as much as you need us. Make the changes. This is our last shot. 

I will have to respectfully disagree. All I am here for currently is to maintain the server with updates, it is up to the Management team to take the resources they'd been given and interpreted the best route to bringing the server back to a good place. It's been done this way for again, nearly a decade.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1