DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Solution for in-game racism/homophobia

Do these voicebans span across multiple days and connections/disconnections? Sometimes it would be difficult to prove whether or not someone was being racist again, even after a warning, especially if the reporter was a low level who wasn't recording. However, this seems like a great way to keep track of whether or not people are still being racist after warnings, and it creates an easier way to offer harsher punishments if they wish to speak again after an appeal, or are simply just being racist again, but in chat.

• Cringe 1

I think this is a great idea personally, though I think we should have some sort of timer feature on it, worst case we can always still have them appeal it on the forums.

I think darkrp we'd have to specify with having a bit more grace beforehand as well (as people talk more shit on there, and it's a bit more expected to be toxic than other servers) but I think all and all this could be a very good idea. 

Edited by Shin_Tsukimi
  • Disagree 1

100% for it. New players get a "2nd chance" in a sense and keep some new player pop on servers. I imagine DRP and MRP would be great test servers if it needs a beta test.

How would this apply to old/vet players? Just our warn->increasing length ban policy?

This sounds like a great idea for sure, especially for DRP.  Most of the new players who join DRP are always trying to minge and just repeatly say racial slurs in voicechat, basically trying to get banned or just are trying to be as edgy as possible.

I'm curious on how this would also apply onto vet's too?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, James-R-Tanner said:

sounds like a great idea, however im not sure what you mean by more toxic community's?

There are a lot of (Especially darkrp) communities that often allow for toxicity in this regard, and so those players might not expect a ban over it immediately. Hence why I also mention we might have to give a little bit more grace on darkrp, given the "darkrp norm" people have come to expect.

Also @Lex_ feel free to comment rather than just leaving a disagree, I'd love to hear what you disagree with on my post so we can talk about it on the thread (don't take this as an attack or anything, I'm genuinely curious about your thoughts and such)

• Agree 2

I'm neutral on this

Reasoning:

I've already voiced my concern for permanent punishment of players who say things that are racist, and homophobic. I think personally that homophobia and racism should be a no exception 1 year ban, by no exception I mean no lower, no higher. Racism and Homophobia is a mindset that can be changed with future personal growth, I feel like some people may be great server members but are plagued with stupid ideology of something they think at the time is right, and/or is funny to spread to servers. 1 year ban should be long enough for players to mature and come back with a proper mind set based on their choices, and if proven not to then they can get a permanent mute/ban.

I just personally disagree with the permanent punishment to a mistake that people could easily change in the future. For all we know someone could grow up in a very bad household where they're taught that racism is right, but within that 1 year they may be given time to create their own ideology.

I'm saying this from personal experience, I used to be incredibly racist because I picked up on my dads ideology who made me think it was a normalized thing since he would regularly insult, and put down races other than ours, call them slurs while driving past them, etc. It took me time but I created my own ideology and can think for myself and since then he himself has also changed his ideology and is more accepting, especially with me being his son since I'm literally bisexual he changed his ideology on not only homophobia but also racism.

People who joke around with this type of stuff are just childish, and with that 1 year ban they could mature and become a better person. Everyone here has at one point made racist jokes, or continues to but just understands where and when not to. Some people, however, are immature and do not understand that racist jokes and dark humor are only acceptable in places where it cannot harm, or offend people. Permanently banning people or muting them for being unable to understand this wouldn't exactly be correct.

And last thing, to quote Shin_Tsukimi "There are a lot of (Especially darkrp) communities that often allow for toxicity in this regard, and so those players might not expect a ban over it immediately. Hence why I also mention we might have to give a little bit more grace on darkrp, given the "darkrp norm" people have come to expect." we all know that Garrys Mod is a very toxic place, therefor, not a lot of people understand that what they say can have punishments and I feel like not only should the 1 year ban help, but the staff should be required to let them know that it's not allowed in the case that one of these players grew up racist, homophobic, or have only been to servers that allow it.

Obviously, if someone waits out their 1 year ban and comes back to do the same thing over, they will receive a permanent punishment.

Edited by CanadianTyrant
1 hour ago, Shin_Tsukimi said:

I think darkrp we'd have to specify with having a bit more grace beforehand as well (as people talk more shit on there, and it's a bit more expected to be toxic than other servers) but I think all and all this could be a very good idea. 

I disagree with this statement. If this is to be implemented, all servers within the community should have the same set of guidelines from the beginning, no extra grace periods or warnings. I disagree reacted to the post because I'm pretty set on that opinion and do not want to further discuss it.

Although in this case, I can understand that I should have replied to the thread instead as you have two separate points in your post.

Edited by Lex_
  • Friendly 1

I also feel like the command if given shouldn't be sanctioned to admins+ since there aren't very many on the staff team and most staff on the server are typically mods.

Just now, Lex_ said:

I disagree with this statement. If this is to be implemented, all servers within the community should have the same set of guidelines from the beginning, no extra grace periods or warnings. I disagree reacted to the post because I'm pretty set on that opinion and do not want to further discuss it.

If you're going to disagree with someone on a post where we are discussing a change, please do not leave a disagreement. It's essentially doing nothing, we're supposed to be here discussing the change not going "Nope, and I wont explain why and I wont change my mind" it's not exactly how a discussion should go

• Dumb/Shitpost 3
  • Disagree 1
19 minutes ago, CanadianTyrant said:

I also feel like the command if given shouldn't be sanctioned to admins+

I agree with this because MRP only has 3 admin+ staff members who are all on at various times. For MRP, can't say the same for the rest of the staff teams, maybe H Mod or T Admin

• Informative 1
2 hours ago, Nutter said:

Hello Garnet peeps, i'm making this thread to reach out and hopefully get your input on this new thingy I coderino'd last month, but entirely forgot about.

So, with the way things currently are, we can go ahead and warn a player for being racist and move on with our days, then ban them if repeated - still allowing them to come back until a threshold is reached in which they are permanently banned;  Welp, here's my new solution:

Allow for 1 single warning as courtesy that applies to new players who may be coming from a more toxic community that allowed for this (unfortunately, most Gmod servers are still ran by children who call it "fReE sPeEcH") - however, once that first warning is given out, if a player violates the racism/homophobia rule, a high ranking staff member (Admin+) can utilize the command /voiceban, thus, taking a player's voice(mic) privileges and forcing them to type, until this voiceban is appealed. Of course, the player can choose to 

A) play on the server by typing - where EVERYTHING is logged, and a repeated offense would then be a ban

B) appeal their voiceban on the forums, where they will have to defend their use of racial/homophobic slurs

I would love to know if everybody would be onboard with this idea, because I currently have everything working, along with cross-server banning where if a player plays on their non-main server minging around, their actions can still affect them on their main server. We have seen this happen numerous times.

Ty!

How will something like this Impact the rust side of things? Or will this be sololy for gmod. I think it would be great for gmod,  I'm Not Sure How i feel about it on rust yet as i would have to think more into it.

2 hours ago, Shin_Tsukimi said:

I think this is a great idea personally, though I think we should have some sort of timer feature on it, worst case we can always still have them appeal it on the forums.

Shit talking should be allowed, but when it crosses into the line of "racism/homophobia/repeated harassment/ repeated mic spam/" then the voiceban should come into play.