DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

The New Mayor/PD/Tax/Lottery System

Bizzy

6 hours ago, ShankNinja said:

Yes, but illegal money has never been taxed. In real-life, ingame, etc., there is no actual logical reason why police would know about or have the ability to control illegal income.

illegal money going untaxed irl is one of the main ways ppl get caught up what are u even talking about

I feel like yall just wanna printer farm for a few hours without being bothered. If thats the case kill the mayor or pay the $5k tax bill lol

Edited by Bizzy
  • Agree 3
7 hours ago, ShankNinja said:

If it would just WANT the player that doesn't sound overpowered. But to be able to individually target any person playing the game with a WARRANT and tear down their base with an army of cops, without any actual evidence besides the mayor's Godlike psychic abilities, sounds like an insane addition to the server. That does NOT sound like a server I would want to play on... I've played NaziRP that is more free than that.

What do you mean no evidence? You get sent a tax bill, you choose to pay it or evade. If you evade thats tax evasion (if it wasnt obvious) and that's illegal. Thats enough evidence to warrant you. The mayor doesn't know you have printers, they just know you've had an increase in income that hasn't been taxed

(i swear if u say how do they know whats in my wallet im gonna lose my shit)

2 hours ago, Bizzy said:

illegal money going untaxed irl is one of the main ways ppl get caught up what are u even talking about

I feel like yall just wanna printer farm for a few hours without being bothered. If thats the case kill the mayor or pay the $5k tax bill lol

Yes, I think probably more than half of the people who join a 'vanilla' DarkRP server don't want or expect the Mayor to profit from their crimes.

1 hour ago, Bizzy said:

What do you mean no evidence? You get sent a tax bill, you choose to pay it or evade. If you evade thats tax evasion (if it wasnt obvious) and that's illegal. Thats enough evidence to warrant you. The mayor doesn't know you have printers, they just know you've had an increase in income that hasn't been taxed

(i swear if u say how do they know whats in my wallet im gonna lose my shit)

Is the tax bill based on income in a given time period? It's not very clear how this is supposed to operate... How much I've earned in the last hour? Ten minutes? Since my last bill?

If the mayor is able to set a 20% tax on Lottery, with high-population lotteries easily exceeding 1 million dollars (that's 200K every 30 seconds for the Mayor), and Tax all Printer income (I didn't see Job income mentioned, 'salary' is but we both know that's pennies), then we're easily looking at making this the most overpowered class in the game.

The mayor already has the strongest base in the server with the largest allowed defense force and the ability to force lock the doors mid-raid with the lockdown button (seriously overpowered and abuseable) so I don't think it makes sense from a roleplay perspective or a balance perspective to also give a class that's able to make millions more than virtually any normal player every couple of minutes (off lottery alone) that they should also have the strongest raid force in the server that has the ability to blast past walls, ignore party restrictions, and be specifically targeted at anyone the mayor chooses.

Keep in mind this is not PoliceRP. It is supposed to be DarkRP Vanilla, or at least close to it. Every single day we stray further from the light of God...

If I played the mayor as much as you Bizzy, I too would want my class to be the best class in every single way imaginable with no downsides. However, for the players old and new, I think this idea smells terrible and should be restricted to legal income and lottery. I don't think the Lottery should be able to be taxed at such an extremely high rate either, but that's something people opt-in for and would easily make millions more than robbing criminals of their money and therefore implying that printing money(CRIME) is now encouraged since it actually profits the Mayor (CRIME LORD)

Hi, this is the IRS. We're writing to inform you that we noticed you haven't paid the requisite government tax on your illegal income. Here is an itemized summary of the exact amount of illegal money you have learned, down to the penny. Of course, we aren't going to arrest you for your crimes.... if you cough up the dough. Don't make us come after you.

Edited by ShankNinja
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, ShankNinja said:

WAA WAAA WAA I DONT WANT PD TO DO PD THINGS WAA WAA

Sorry but gmod darkrp isnt realistic. You automatically spawn with weapons. You spawn with money in your wallet. You can buy HP and armor from a fuckin vending machine. But it's insane when the PD knows how much you've made and can tax you. Just say you dont wanna be bothered when ur printer farming and you just want darkrp to be stale hehe

anyone else got an issue with the income tax or is it just shank and straightwhitechristianmale? I wanna hear anyone else that has issues with it cuz if it's just those 2 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, ShankNinja said:

1) Is the tax bill based on income in a given time period? It's not very clear how this is supposed to operate... How much I've earned in the last hour? Ten minutes? Since my last bill?

2) (that's 200K every 30 seconds for the Mayor)

3) The mayor already has the strongest base in the server with the largest allowed defense force and the ability to force lock the doors mid-raid with the lockdown button (seriously overpowered and abuseable) so I don't think it makes sense from a roleplay perspective or a balance perspective to also give a class that's able to make millions more than virtually any normal player every couple of minutes (off lottery alone) that they should also have the strongest raid force in the server that has the ability to blast past walls, ignore party restrictions, and be specifically targeted at anyone the mayor chooses.

4) Keep in mind this is not PoliceRP. It is supposed to be DarkRP Vanilla, or at least close to it. Every single day we stray further from the light of God...

5) If I played the mayor as much as you Bizzy...

1) Tax bill is based on how much you've made since you've connected. And you can only be billed once per hour. So if you want to evade. you don't have to defend your base for that logn

2) THE MAYOR DOES NOT GET TAXES, THE VAULT DOES

3) Mayor wont make money from taxes. 10% of the vault is distributed to all PD players every x amount of minutes

4) It's not policeRP but right now its NoReasonToRPAsPoliceRP

5) shit take i like being mayor and think this would be cool. It doesnt matter what I want if more people dont like this idea it wont be added. Rn its just u and the other guy im waiting for more opinions

Edited by Bizzy
  • Dumb/Shitpost 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disagree 1
1 hour ago, Bizzy said:

WAA WAAA WAA I DONT WANT PD TO DO PD THINGS WAA WAA

1. Sorry but gmod darkrp isnt realistic. You automatically spawn with weapons. You spawn with money in your wallet. You can buy HP and armor from a fuckin vending machine. But it's insane when the PD knows how much you've made and can tax you. Just say you dont wanna be bothered when ur printer farming and you just want darkrp to be stale hehe

2. anyone else got an issue with the income tax or is it just shank and straightwhitechristianmale? I wanna hear anyone else that has issues with it cuz if it's just those 2 🤷‍♂️

3 Tax bill is based on how much you've made since you've connected. And you can only be billed once per hour. So if you want to evade. you don't have to defend your base for that logn

4 THE MAYOR DOES NOT GET TAXES, THE VAULT DOES

5 Mayor wont make money from taxes. 10% of the vault is distributed to all PD players every x amount of minutes

6 It's not policeRP but right now its NoReasonToRPAsPoliceRP

7 shit take i like being mayor and think this would be cool. It doesnt matter what I want if more people dont like this idea it wont be added. Rn its just u and the other guy im waiting for more opinions

1. Telling me the Roleplaying Game we're playing exists within a videogame and isn't a realism simulator isn't a good enough strawman argument to provide any reasoning why all illegal income is reported to the Mayor. If you try to tell me that in real life, 100% of illegal income is always reported then you're just flat-out wrong.

Just say you dont wanna be bothered when ur printer farming and you just want darkrp to be stale hehe

I literally said that, maybe not word-for-word, but yes: I plainly stated I don't want to be a target just because I decide to farm printers. It's not a vanilla experience to have the cops farming printer farmers, and it will lead to me just not wanting to farm printers anymore. That's fine - I don't really need to farm printers. But I don't think the cops earned any of that money and I don't think they should be entitled to any of it, how many times do I have to repeat myself for you to listen?

Rewriting what I'm saying and saying WAA WAAA WAA isn't helping your argument either, it just shows how you handle criticism and that you truly don't want to discuss the pros and cons of this. If you're going to act like we're children on the playground, that's how I'm going to view your argument.

2. There's actually three four of us, so far, among the people on the forum. You seemed to delete or get rid of your old post, with other people -1 on it, and you made this thread 16 hours ago... you might need to be patient my man, it's not like the entire community checks the forums every single day. You're being rather facetious if you think this is everyone.

3. So I can just put my income onto an alt/clanmate? Sounds easy enough to launder then.

4. Mayor doesn't receive the PD profits? That's probably for the best.

5. Excluding Mayor, yes?

6. There's reasons to RP as a police, but if you're trying to amass loads of money then roleplaying as a cop is probably not your first bet. Just because criminals make more money than law-abiding cops (which makes sense to me) doesn't mean that cops should be extorting criminals. Does reasons = money? Because I roleplay for fun, the same reason I play Dungeons and Dragons, the same reason I go drug dealer and spend millions on drugs to trick people into taking them and listening to their reactions, the same reason I play Fallout 4. Am I earning money doing any of those things? No - but that's not the only purpose of a roleplaying game.

7. Like I said, there's not just two of us. Sure, only three four of us have commented within the 16 hour time, but that doesn't mean our opinions don't matter. But sure, keep acting like nothing I say holds any weight or importance, picking apart my argument and only focusing on what's easiest for you to criticize. Since you skipped over the most important part of my last post, I guess I'll put it here again in case you accidentally deleted this whole paragraph out of my quote instead of just ignoring it:

The mayor already has the strongest base in the server with the largest allowed defense force and the ability to force lock the doors mid-raid with the lockdown button (seriously overpowered and abuseable) so I don't think it makes sense from a roleplay perspective or a balance perspective to also give a class that's able to make millions more than virtually any normal player every couple of minutes (off lottery alone) that they should also have the strongest raid force in the server that has the ability to blast past walls, ignore party restrictions, and be specifically targeted at anyone the mayor chooses.

Cops don't even have to abide by NLR rules. And you're telling me "just kill him" how headass of a suggestion is that? Balance is totally fucked here, and I wouldn't expect anyone who doesn't actually play DarkRP from a printing or raiding point of view to have true insight into how ridiculous it is to establish an invincible base with no party limit, no NLR, free guns, a highly-abuseable lockdown button, and then want to put illegal money in there with the expectation that it gets raided.

Edited by ShankNinja
1 hour ago, ShankNinja said:

1. Telling me the Roleplaying Game we're playing exists within a videogame and isn't a realism simulator isn't a good enough strawman argument to provide any reasoning why all illegal income is reported to the Mayor. If you try to tell me that in real life, 100% of illegal income is always reported then you're just flat-out wrong.

I literally said that, maybe not word-for-word, but yes: I plainly stated I don't want to be a target just because I decide to farm printers. It's not a vanilla experience to have the cops farming printer farmers, and it will lead to me just not wanting to farm printers anymore. That's fine - I don't really need to farm printers. But I don't think the cops earned any of that money and I don't think they should be entitled to any of it, how many times do I have to repeat myself for you to listen?

Rewriting what I'm saying and saying WAA WAAA WAA isn't helping your argument either, it just shows how you handle criticism and that you truly don't want to discuss the pros and cons of this. If you're going to act like we're children on the playground, that's how I'm going to view your argument.

2. There's actually three four of us, so far, among the people on the forum. You seemed to delete or get rid of your old post, with other people -1 on it, and you made this thread 16 hours ago... you might need to be patient my man, it's not like the entire community checks the forums every single day. You're being rather facetious if you think this is everyone.

3. So I can just put my income onto an alt/clanmate? Sounds easy enough to launder then.

4. Mayor doesn't receive the PD profits? That's probably for the best.

5. Excluding Mayor, yes?

6. There's reasons to RP as a police, but if you're trying to amass loads of money then roleplaying as a cop is probably not your first bet. Just because criminals make more money than law-abiding cops (which makes sense to me) doesn't mean that cops should be extorting criminals. Does reasons = money? Because I roleplay for fun, the same reason I play Dungeons and Dragons, the same reason I go drug dealer and spend millions on drugs to trick people into taking them and listening to their reactions, the same reason I play Fallout 4. Am I earning money doing any of those things? No - but that's not the only purpose of a roleplaying game.

7. Like I said, there's not just two of us. Sure, only three four of us have commented within the 16 hour time, but that doesn't mean our opinions don't matter. But sure, keep acting like nothing I say holds any weight or importance, picking apart my argument and only focusing on what's easiest for you to criticize. Since you skipped over the most important part of my last post, I guess I'll put it here again in case you accidentally deleted this whole paragraph out of my quote instead of just ignoring it:

Cops don't even have to abide by NLR rules. And you're telling me "just kill him" how headass of a suggestion is that? Balance is totally fucked here, and I wouldn't expect anyone who doesn't actually play DarkRP from a printing or raiding point of view to have true insight into how ridiculous it is to establish an invincible base with no party limit, no NLR, free guns, a highly-abuseable lockdown button, and then want to put illegal money in there with the expectation that it gets raided.

im not reading all this

hey mr binladenhoe if ur telling me u read all that shit ill accept the dumb rating with grace

Edited by Bizzy
  • Dumb/Shitpost 2
  • Winner 1

Shank said it best. This is meant to be near vanilla server. I know that anyone who would join to find out there’s a printer tax and if you don’t pay it would leave immediately. You are only going to cripple numbers and I can assure you a majority of your veteran player base will leave if this is implemented. Don’t make a mistake like this. 

• Agree 3
45 minutes ago, WreckEMsaints said:

Shank said it best. This is meant to be near vanilla server. I know that anyone who would join to find out there’s a printer tax and if you don’t pay it would leave immediately. You are only going to cripple numbers and I can assure you a majority of your veteran player base will leave if this is implemented. Don’t make a mistake like this. 

Yeah, I feel like some people are brushing over the printer tax tbh, again as I said in my post assuming evasion gets a warrant that's a very easy way to fuck with someone without getting in trouble, plus the fact that a lot of people who base with printers might honestly bounce if we begin taking earnings. As I said in my first post, everything else sounds cool, but I 100% -1 the printer/illegal item taxation. (Keep in mind I don't even base and I see the problem with this, that says something.)

A good compromise would be bankers could be taxed on the printers stored with them, and we add incentives for people to run banks. Not only would that fix this problem but if we added more incentive to run a bank it'd make that class used a lot more too. Just food for thought, and honestly I think it's a lot more realistic that way. Plus, I think it'd be funny to have a bank attempting to tax evade on its stored printers.

Now. Assuming this "tax to have printers" really is just 1-5k an hour or something along those lines, I don't really see nearly as much of an issue with it. It could appear after you collect money, and apply to that printer (so people who sold off their printers don't worry about it) however thats really all I could agree to. It would also not have to be per printer, especially if you are farming a fuckton of printers. That'd just both piss people off and inflate the pd vault drastically.

@Bizzy keep in mind not only do I not base but I also absolutely love being mayor, and even I think the balance it's getting way too tipped in their favor if we add this suggestion as-is. These solutions would make all parties happy, and would allow for even more policerp! Hope to see what you think of them.

Edited by Shin_Tsukimi
  • Like 1
  • DarkRP Administration Team
11 hours ago, Bizzy said:

im not reading all this

hey mr binladenhoe if ur telling me u read all that shit ill accept the dumb rating with grace

While I have given this a massive +1, there are some good points made by Shank that I hadn't considered myself.

The PD defences are pretty OP, but that hasn't mattered so far because the number of PD have generally been low. This update will hopefully increase the number of PD, and change the balance as a result so it's definitely worth thinking about how that will work in practice.

Will it even be possible to raid the PD?
Does it lead to a system of police farming printer farmers?
Would a lone assassin have any chance of completing a hit on the Mayor?
Will there be rule changes (e.g. NLR rule to apply to PD)

I think these are all valid questions which deserve consideration and discussion. I still stand by my +1 because I think this update will boost the number of people RPing as PD. But remember that for printer farmers, there is a HUGE amount at stake. If you have your own and many other peoples printers you have bought, that can be millions in upfront upgrades etc that could be lost in an instant if a raid wiped them out. So I do totally understand the concern as a baser myself. But I'm trying to look at it from both angles too.

Edit:

I just wanted to also quickly add that while I understand (as a baser myself) that printer tax isn't popular, it's worth remembering that it's overall income tax. So in other words, if you are a Meth Manufacturer, a Weed Cultivator, a Hitman, a Delivery Man, it's the overall increase in income that the Mayor is taxing and there are a lot of other ways to make money than just farming. All of those jobs will be taxed too. In fact, before I knew how to make a decent base, some of these jobs used to be my go-to, and in that sense, may still be the go-to for other players?

Perhaps there is another way of achieving this so that basers aren't targeted? Maybe hide how much income has been made? Or have it tax people at random? Just a suggestion.

Edited by ChrisRid
  • Like 1
  • 300 IQ 1

Here's my 2 cents right. 

1. Mayor can build in pd. If you have a competent mayor that base is never getting raided. Even if it does, cops can break nlr.

Meaning that the tax vault is practically just another way to pay the cops. Which I am fine with.

2. A super easy way to get around the warrant, is to base with someone else, and just not have them collect from printers. Then you don't have to worry about being warranted. Granted this could be fixed if it simply WANTED instead of WARRANTED.

13 minutes ago, Shin_Tsukimi said:

Plus, I think it'd be funny to have a bank attempting to tax evade on its stored printers.

pffft what are the cops going to do... blow up the printers?

4. Personally, I love that lottos and other stuff could be taxed, I love that idea. Just not the printers man. How am I sposed to afford Fetn if my money gets taxed 😕

5. You may have already clarified, but does Mayor get paid out of the vault with the rest of the police? Cuz they should.

6.  basically +1 to all except the printer tax

If this gets added, please boost prop limit for VIP's or just overall so we can start stacking our bases again smh.

• Like 2

Im very very lost right now because I don't see the issue with an income tax that is

1) optional (you can evade and just hope u dont get raided for the next like 3 minutes)

2) needs to be billed MANUALLY (meaning the odds of you getting picked out of 100 players is VERY low)

3) that you can only be billed with once an hour (with the small chances of the mayor even billing you, this decreases the chances of you getting billed more)

4) and that the mayor can only bill ONE PERSON every 5 MINUTES 

5 hours ago, ChrisRid said:

But remember that for printer farmers, there is a HUGE amount at stake. If you have your own and many other peoples printers you have bought, that can be millions in upfront upgrades etc that could be lost in an instant if a raid wiped them out. So I do totally understand the concern as a baser myself. But I'm trying to look at it from both angles too.

If you're a printer farmer who as spent millions on printers. You can simply avoid any issues by paying the (1-5%) bill (will be capped at 50k). If you make 100k from when you joined and you get billed, your bill is 5k. If you make 1 mill your bill is 50k. if you make 100mill your bill will still be 50k.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
1 hour ago, Bizzy said:

Im very very lost right now because I don't see the issue with an income tax that is

1) optional (you can evade and just hope u dont get raided for the next like 3 minutes)

2) needs to be billed MANUALLY (meaning the odds of you getting picked out of 100 players is VERY low)

3) that you can only be billed with once an hour (with the small chances of the mayor even billing you, this decreases the chances of you getting billed more)

4) and that the mayor can only bill ONE PERSON every 5 MINUTES 

If you're a printer farmer who as spent millions on printers. You can simply avoid any issues by paying the (1-5%) bill (will be capped at 50k). If you make 100k from when you joined and you get billed, your bill is 5k. If you make 1 mill your bill is 50k. if you make 100mill your bill will still be 50k.

Yo if it's capped at 50k, manually done by a mayor, and you have to be chosen by the mayor (and you can only be chosen once an hour) I think this is pretty reasonable.

+1 the entire suggestion, assuming this is the angle you choose to take for this, it sounds good!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1