[SECURITY] ONE OF YOUR KEYPADS IS BEING CRACKED!

• DarkRP Administration Team

We should add a system that tells players when they are being raided. Currently when your keypad is cracked using the deployable keypad cracker, you get a message in chat that says "[SECURITY] ONE OF YOUR KEYPADS IS BEING CRACKED!" I think this message should be displayed whenever your keypad is cracked, regardless of whats being used to crack it. I think this will give players less of a reason to camp in their base. I think if players didn't feel obligated have an eye on their keypads at all times, they would be more willing to leave their base and interact with others. I think this could really help grow server pop, since the server will be more active and social.

edit: Just wanted to add on that this could help make raiding more balanced. If more players aren’t in their bases while being raided, they would have to come back and have a fair gunfight considering they wouldn’t have a peak. They couldn’t go back into their base with a quick-door since that would be FDA, so they would be forced into a fair gunfight. This could help raiding become easier.

https://imgur.com/HuhzmRC

Edited by hooboododoMartian
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 4
9 hours ago, hooboododoMartian said:

We should add a system that tells players when they are being raided. Currently when your keypad is cracked using the deployable keypad cracker, you get a message in chat that says "[SECURITY] ONE OF YOUR KEYPADS IS BEING CRACKED!" I think this message should be displayed whenever your keypad is cracked, regardless of whats being used to crack it. I think this will give players less of a reason to camp in their base. I think if players didn't feel obligated have an eye on their keypads at all times, they would be more willing to leave their base and interact with others. I think this could really help grow server pop, since the server will be more active and social.

https://imgur.com/HuhzmRC

-1; i like to feel like a sneaky cool guy when raiding, and this would make raiding a race against the clock and nothing else

• Agree 2

+1

I like this idea, it makes sense for it to work across the board for both standard and deployable keypad-crackers.

However with that said, I do take on board the reasons why-not. Being sneaky is a legitimate play-style and arguably a fun and exciting way of raiding, so what if something was added to help raiders counteract the security system, in order to be sneaky and avoid setting it off in both cases? For example:

• Level based chance of disarming the alarm - the higher the raiders level, the greater the chance of 'disarming the alarm' (preventing it from displaying the alert in chat)
  • A 'balaclava perk' available from vending machines which either ensures or gives a greater chance of 'disarming the alarm'
  • A minigame that appears when keypad-craking, a bit like when you lock-pick in fallout, or when you code-break in Cyberpunk - if completed fast enough it won't sound the alarm
  • Informative 1
  • Agree 1
On 11/28/2023 at 9:08 AM, mossly said:

-1; i like to feel like a sneaky cool guy when raiding, and this would make raiding a race against the clock and nothing else

Basically what Mossly said.

With how difficult raiding bases are considering how incredibly polished base defense/building has become, one of the best ways to raid a base is when nobody's home. The keypad cracker is already INCREDIBLY loud, you already have to advert a raid in /advert chat, and I've seen some people set up their base so bright lights turn on/off when a door is keypad cracked. I don't think that any more "notifications" are needed to be given to the base owners. Let me be a sneaky little rat and raid someone while they're off raiding someone else without them being any wiser.

• Like 1
On 11/28/2023 at 2:49 PM, ChrisRid said:

+1

I like this idea, it makes sense for it to work across the board for both standard and deployable keypad-crackers.

However with that said, I do take on board the reasons why-not. Being sneaky is a legitimate play-style and arguably a fun and exciting way of raiding, so what if something was added to help raiders counteract the security system, in order to be sneaky and avoid setting it off in both cases? For example:

• Level based chance of disarming the alarm - the higher the raiders level, the greater the chance of 'disarming the alarm' (preventing it from displaying the alert in chat)
  • A 'balaclava perk' available from vending machines which either ensures or gives a greater chance of 'disarming the alarm'
  • A minigame that appears when keypad-craking, a bit like when you lock-pick in fallout, or when you code-break in Cyberpunk - if completed fast enough it won't sound the alarm

The level-based thing should be reversed; your idea would unbalance the game further in favor of people who already have a much higher chance of success

• Agree 1
31 minutes ago, mossly said:

The level-based thing should be reversed; your idea would unbalance the game further in favor of people who already have a much higher chance of success

It's only an idea, my thinking was that like in a lot of games, as you progress to higher levels you become better at a skill, while also adding a new dynamic. I'm open to ideas on that though 🙂 Just wanted to take into account both sides, and I do see your argument for wanting a stealth style of play. What's your thoughts on the other couple of ideas, a minigame would be fair to all levels if that works better? It would have the bonus of actually having an element of skill to it too

• Informative 1

Yeah as much as I hate those rats who raid you as soon as you leave, it's sort of your responsibility to keep an eye on your printers. Just do the diligence of checking on your stuff or have people basing with you to do that for you if you really need to go somewhere.

And it at least gives a raider SOME chance to actually raid a base if the base owner is unaware, 'cuz a loud-ass beeping noise should be enough if you're diligent enough to watch your own base. Also agreeing with Wess about the deployable crackers.

Anyways,

3 minutes ago, Errol said:

Yeah as much as I hate those rats who raid you as soon as you leave, it's sort of your responsibility to keep an eye on your printers. Just do the diligence of checking on your stuff or have people basing with you to do that for you if you really need to go somewhere.

And it at least gives a raider SOME chance to actually raid a base if the base owner is unaware, 'cuz a loud-ass beeping noise should be enough if you're diligent enough to watch your own base. Also agreeing with Wess about the deployable crackers.

Anyways,

That’s my whole point though, you shouldn’t HAVE to watch your base at all times. It keeps people from exploring the server and interacting with each other. Also if I were raiding a base I’d rather have someone out of their base and have to come back because of that notification, than have to deal with them sitting in a peak waiting for me. This makes fair gunfights more likely.

6 minutes ago, hooboododoMartian said:

That’s my whole point though, you shouldn’t HAVE to watch your base at all times. It keeps people from exploring the server and interacting with each other. Also if I were raiding a base I’d rather have someone out of their base and have to come back because of that notification, than have to deal with them sitting in a peak waiting for me. This makes fair gunfights more likely.

My implication of watching your base can simply be to check your stuff every so often. I often leave my base and just chat with people, but I still periodically check my front doors for any beeping or if a raid is advertised in chat. I'm not advocating sit in your base all day long and no-lifing, just that you shouldn't need such a notification if you check your doors every so often, you should be doing that already (or a friend/clan mate if you have one of those around).

• Agree 1
  • 2 months later...
  • DarkRP Management Team

IN-PROGRESS

Thank you for taking the time to make a suggestion.
Disclaimer: This post being accepted does not guarantee that your suggestion will be added, but it will be considered for future updates.

• Like 1