DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Reintroduction of 3rd person combat

Tuna

This community has the memory of a fucking goldfish if people don't remember why it was removed in the first place lol. Third person combat wars were truly hell on earth, head glitching was still a thing but this just allowed people to find enemies without even exposing themselves. This really would not solve the issue, it'd only make it worse.

At this point? Just remove any and all sniper/DMR gameplay and focus on CQC combat. Doing this would remove any sort of basecamping, force everyone to play on OBJ, and make map creating for Garnet much MUCH easier without having to worry about retarded spots being too OP. I know this isn't really a feasible thing to do, but holy fuck it would just make all these issues go away.

• Friendly 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

I enjoyed third person mode during its time on the server during war, because it was a very effective crutch. The server was heavily war based for many years, since it was the core gameplay focus. Simulations, tryouts, and raids, were present only for fluff to give the feeling of progression.

Third person as a tool is very fun. It allows for some variation to RP, and allows for a person to view the world from a different angle. It also allows for adjustments to combat and core gameplay of a firefight. I heavily used it while it was active during war. The reasoning being, it makes it easier for a player to have better game sense in combat.

Most people claim aim is the most important skill a player must have, because if you can hit a player more than they hit you, you win. The other two skills that are necessary to be a good player are movement and game sense. We have all seen PVTs that don’t know what planet they are on, and get mowed down, because they forget people can exist besides in front of them.

Third person allowed for skilled players to view over surfaces and terrains more skillfully, due to the enhanced game sense it allowed. It also allowed in some areas, wall bangs that the other person couldn’t see. I loved it because it helped me be a better player. However it was able to be abused with sniper rifles for example.

Third person was nerfed and eventually removed over the years it was implemented. By setting the FOV to a maxed lower capacity, and removing the crosshair. Some player managed to find ways to abuse it still, by forcing the FOV, and some drawing dots on their monitor where a crosshair would be. G-man eventually removed it entirely, as it became unfit for the majority of the unskilled population to play against.

Do I miss it, yes? Does it need to be added back? No.

Currently events have been added to the server more consistently with the assistance of game masters, and staff with game master perms. While this can cause issues occasionally, it has revitalized many players with new RP, and creativity that it brought. It also, allows for third person to be used in these events. If you wish to use third person, there will always be NPCS, and role-play events where you can use them.

• Winner 1
  • Agree 1
15 hours ago, bishopil said:

I would love for you to explain to me how the reintroduction of third person would solve:

1. headglitching

2. jumping around corners

While nothing can really be done to remove headglitching as is plagues almost every FPS nowadays, it could be used as a tool to peek over a hill and find the sniper without running out blindly and getting sniped by someone you can't see. As for the jumping around corners, if I remember correctly when you used 3rd person in a war that was almost the tactic for CQC. Although with a 3rd person view, you can actually see what you're shooting at as opposed to clipping through the playermodel and guessing where to shoot.

11 hours ago, PrisonNightmare said:

Third person combat wars were truly hell on earth, head glitching was still a thing but this just allowed people to find enemies without even exposing themselves.

While true, the main purpose I'm trying to get with this suggestion is that in my, and some other community member's opinions, war in its current state is not fun; and many of them agreed that 3rd person combat was some of the most fun combat they've had on the server.

4 hours ago, Dillan said:

I enjoyed third person mode during its time on the server during war, because it was a very effective crutch. The server was heavily war based for many years, since it was the core gameplay focus. Simulations, tryouts, and raids, were present only for fluff to give the feeling of progression.

Third person as a tool is very fun. It allows for some variation to RP, and allows for a person to view the world from a different angle. It also allows for adjustments to combat and core gameplay of a firefight. I heavily used it while it was active during war. The reasoning being, it makes it easier for a player to have better game sense in combat.

Most people claim aim is the most important skill a player must have, because if you can hit a player more than they hit you, you win. The other two skills that are necessary to be a good player are movement and game sense. We have all seen PVTs that don’t know what planet they are on, and get mowed down, because they forget people can exist besides in front of them.

Third person allowed for skilled players to view over surfaces and terrains more skillfully, due to the enhanced game sense it allowed. It also allowed in some areas, wall bangs that the other person couldn’t see. I loved it because it helped me be a better player. However it was able to be abused with sniper rifles for example.

Third person was nerfed and eventually removed over the years it was implemented. By setting the FOV to a maxed lower capacity, and removing the crosshair. Some player managed to find ways to abuse it still, by forcing the FOV, and some drawing dots on their monitor where a crosshair would be. G-man eventually removed it entirely, as it became unfit for the majority of the unskilled population to play against.

Do I miss it, yes? Does it need to be added back? No.

Currently events have been added to the server more consistently with the assistance of game masters, and staff with game master perms. While this can cause issues occasionally, it has revitalized many players with new RP, and creativity that it brought. It also, allows for third person to be used in these events. If you wish to use third person, there will always be NPCS, and role-play events where you can use them.

While I agree with this post a lot, the suggestion wasn't really tailored towards events, as they currently are the only reason I play anymore. The suggestion was for war as stated above, many people just don't find it enjoyable anymore.

16 minutes ago, Tuna said:

it could be used as a tool to peek over a hill and find the sniper without running out blindly and getting sniped by someone you can't see. 

Or it could be used as a tool to hide behind a hill until someone runs out blindly, then shoot them without them seeing you or having any chance to spot you beforehand.

18 minutes ago, Tuna said:

that was almost the tactic for CQC.

>The tactic was:

sit behind a wall or a box in third person

spot

jump around the corner pre-firing

20 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Although with a 3rd person view, you can actually see what you're shooting at as opposed to clipping through the playermodel and guessing where to shoot.

I have no idea what this means

21 minutes ago, Tuna said:

many people just don't find it enjoyable anymore.

I would like to see some sort of public poll done on this issue because right now, the topic seems split. There are also many people who find war more enjoyable. Some of which do because they now stand a chance against players who are forced to position properly. 

• Agree 3
16 hours ago, bishopil said:

I would love for you to explain to me how the reintroduction of third person would solve:

1. headglitching

2. jumping around corners

19 hours ago, Austin said:

While we’re at it why don’t we just switch back to Afghan, bring marcock back and unban jake weathers, like cmon man

These 2 people bring up valid points, this suggestion is useless basically making it so sweats in war can be even more sweaty. Legit was removed for a reason no point it should come back, 

• Agree 2

3rd person literally made shitty/annoying PvP tactics even more fucked. It was a neat feature until it became exploited to the max during wars and everyone wanted it removed. There is a reason 3rd person is gone and I would not want to see it make a return.

Edited by Jared Cox
On 7/27/2021 at 1:14 PM, Tuna said:

Description: [description of what you are suggesting, one paragraph minimum]

Combat on the server in it's current state is just a "pixel-peeking simulator" where almost everybody who knows how to fight well sit behind a hill and headglitch.

Gonna disagree based on this statement alone. Much easier to headglitch if u dont even have to show a single pixel before peeking out. Gonna self snitch here but it was WAY easier to headglitch when all I had to do was hide with my head out of sight entirely in third person, and only peak after I know an enemy is running through my sightline.

As an edit to add onto the rest of the post

With br0ken saying he'd like crouch jumping unbanned that just removes all desire for me to imagine that those you spoke to about this suggestion didn't agree based on "countering headglitching", but they were more inclined to agree since they'd like to freely exploit for easier kills during war.

I made a big push for the removal of crouch jumping during my time as an executive due to the horrendous nature of combat it encourages. And seeing that the current team of executives is currently pushing for the server to once again be more RP oriented, third person and crouch jump exploiting are laughably left behind as exploits that helped push RP away from GGMRP in the first place.

Edited by Kendal
  • Agree 4
On 7/27/2021 at 6:50 PM, Austin said:

While we’re at it why don’t we just switch back to Afghan, bring marcock back and unban jake weathers, like cmon man

dear god not this again how many times has that kid been banned and unbanned at this point lets not repeat of the cs days austin

14 hours ago, Jared Cox said:

3rd person literally made shitty/annoying PvP tactics even more fucked. It was a neat feature until it became exploited to the max during wars and everyone wanted it removed. There is a reason 3rd person is gone and I would not want to see it make a return.

honestly tho wars were even more aids then with third person than they are now this deadass would just cause more headglitching and even less focus on obj playing  but yeah rather not bring this aids back -1 for me