DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

[Suggestion] Printer Auto-Collection Module

Nutter

+1 

but i have a few questions, will there be a take away to xp or will it be same amount say you claimed it normally. Also what if you raid someone claim there printer but it has the add on with it will it be taken off, the printer blown up or the money will still go in to there account.

everything aside this looks to be a good addition of handled well.

• 300 IQ 1
  • Informative 1
  • DarkRP Administration Team

I’m sorry @NutterI tend to love most of your suggestions, and I hate to walk against the trend and be a party-pooper but please hear me out, I’ll be constructive:

The main reason for camping to defend printers is to prevent the initial loss of investment (printer upgrade costs). A fully upgraded printer takes approximately an hour to recoup the invested funds (max upgrades), after which, all is profit. When that cost is multiplied (through having bought many printers off others) the initial investment can reach into the millions. So with that in mind, the longer you farm without being raided, the better the net profit; for example it takes at least 2 hours to double your investment and given the next hour is all profit again, it’s difficult to resist.

Then take into account the convenience cost, that being the will to wait out the 2 hours (if printers are raided and claimed) to then place down another set of printers with the risk of loss of initial investment. How likely is it that an avid farmer will accept this non-monetary cost? That’s without mentioning if bought-printers are then actually available to be replaced once lost.

To be bluntly honest, these two factors make up the majority of the reason that people camp while farming. If these factors were mitigated, then the loss would be negligible and there would be no need to constantly defend a base. In other words, I think the suggestion won’t lead to the outcome that (I guess we all) want in relation to your suggestion.

I think I actually said to Proggy some time ago that I wish printers could be held at ransom during a raid, because I’d be happy to pay a fair sum of money for printers to be safely left alone then to have to set up again, even if it costs as much at the printer makes in an hour. In fairness he did say (and I’m paraphrasing) “why not just re-buy them then if you’re willing to pay the full investment cost?” Which is a fair statement, but that doesn’t include the non-monetary setup cost of being willing to place them all back down and contact those who you’ve bought them from to do the same, if they are free.

Like I say, I hate being a party pooper and I know I’ll get hate for -1’ing your suggestion, even potentially from you. But I’m just giving realistic feedback from an avid farmer myself. I wouldn’t be upset if you added this, and I’m sure some people may love the idea, but from my personal perspective I respectfully don’t think it will change a lot. Sorry guys.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • Disagree 3
  • DarkRP Administration Team

NEUTRAL

I think this would be really cool. However, I don't think this will fix the base camping issue. I think players stay in their base while printing not because they want to constantly collect money from the printers, but because they want to make sure they're at the base when someone raids.

• Agree 2

+1 regardless 
and I feel bad because this seems hard to code.

On 11/9/2022 at 12:23 PM, Nutter said:

this module can only be applied to your own printer,

I see this, and I raise you 
"this module can be applied to all printers" 
:D:D:D:D:D

• The Garnut
14 minutes ago, xFish said:

I see this, and I raise you 
"this module can be applied to all printers" 
:D:D:D:D:D

Sadly that is the only catch. I will refuse to let you do this to any printer other than your own, because this seems VERY gamebreaking lol

• Agree 1