DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Stolen Printer Recovery System [SPRS]

Merk

• DarkRP Management Team

Description: Add a distance meter or icon on the map (similar to Delivery Locations or Hit/Bounty distance meters) to your stolen printer.

Reasoning: If you've ever played DarkRP and had your base raided, you know that stolen printers are a bear to recover. Simply because once someone takes it and claims it, you have to go from base to base to base looking for the guy who stole it before you can get back to the grind, (by means of begging, paying, or raiding to destroy it.) I am suggesting a way of recovering your printer, either initiated by command or immediately after a printer is stolen, add a distance meter or icon that can be seen through the walls to help you pinpoint that pesky printer so you can raid the base it's in and get it back.

Additional Information: Immediate con that come to mind is that a notification or prompt that comes up immediately or is visible through walls might annoy people, if that is the case you could make it command initiated.

Open to feedback and discussion, just find that many users get frustrated when they get raided and can't get their printers back because they don't know where they are. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 3

Neutral I agree with Christian and also what if your selling your printers but like your staying on the server so the buyer doesn’t claim them it would kinda get annoying having a icon showing on your screen but then it’s kinda useful like what if they moved bases or moved it somewhere.

Edited by Gruels
  • Like 1

+1

I feel like this would be genuinely useful for the server (even though it will most likely never get added)

only thing I feel would be weird with it is if the icon shows up with unclaimed printers would you just have constant printer icons on your screen or would they only show up for claimed prints

• Like 1

Neutral

I like this idea, there is just a couple things that I am thinking about here. I feel if we implemented this, we should have it be only when you want the compass to show up, whether it be by command or by an NPC. Second, I feel like there should not be a marker that can be seen through walls, as it will be too easy to find them; so to counteract this, I would say make it like the hitman popup's distance meter but instead have it be like a tracker (a compass).

To add on to the topic I brought up about it being a consensual popup, I feel like there should be an NPC that is sitting around somewhere that you pay currency to receive raid-beneficial items; and for one of the items it should be a printer tracker. Better yet, maybe add that item to the black market dealer job, because that would make more people be a black market dealer. 

All in all, I really think this is a good idea. 

• Agree 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • DarkRP Administration Team

As long as this is a toggle feature and not something that would remain on the screen forever until the printers are gone, I would like this idea. I hate when I have printers stolen and someone's just hoarding them in some building that I may not be able to even get into, meaning no printing for me for a while. At least if I had an idea where it was I could live with that.

Neutral for now, but I do like the idea as long as it's implemented in a non-intrusive way.

On 7/11/2023 at 7:46 PM, xHydrax420x said:

as it will be too easy to find them

In response to this counter argument; I believe the actual challenge in retrieving your printers is raiding the base of the players that stole them, and not having to find out who stole them (Because imo that seems like it'd be nearly impossible if you werent following them back to their base). What this suggestion will do is increase player interaction especially within lower levels by increasing the rate in which people are being raided for stolen items rather than the player endlessly searching the map. It will also increase player retention because you have these prestige 3 players with base dupes stealing printers quick asf from lower levels and at that point they give up and leave because all the money they poured into the printer is gone.

On 7/11/2023 at 7:46 PM, xHydrax420x said:

Better yet, maybe add that item to the black market dealer job, because that would make more people be a black market dealer. 

This is alot better than the NPC idea because it takes away from further player interaction and could defeat the purpose of the dealers. But, I feel like this feature would be most beneficial to newer players and it's likely that if they already put money into a printer or weapons to defend their base this would only make it harder for them to retrieve the printers and could even further the 'skill' gap between higher and lower level players. It is hard enough raiding the base of someone who is capable of even stealing printers, having to pay to find that base would be unnecessary. 

I believe that this is a great suggestion and I dont know why someone hadnt thought of this sooner. If someone on the server is capable of transporting printers to and from bases ontop of owning their own maxed out printers than it is likely that they have a pretty decked out base. When you put yourself in the shoes of someone who is new to the server with not a whole lot of access to weapons, if they are constantly raided or robbed its going to make the server extremely unenjoyable for them. I've personally seen players log right off after someone with maxed out HP and Armor matador's their base and dashes away with their printers because they know that its going to be impossible to get them back. I think this should be a togglable feature so it doesnt become an annoyance to those who are selling their printers or dont care.

P.S I dont know why ppl keep going neutral, if your not -1'ing or +1'ing nothing is really being added to the post

+1

Edited by Horse
  • 2 months later...
  • DarkRP Management Team

Partially Accepted

I feel as though the concept of a tracker for lost printers has its downsides, such as a cop attempting to use the location data to issue a warrant, or the location data being used to rocket printers through walls... I feel as though a better alternative would be to simply change the message from "Your printer has been claimed. Re-claim within 120 minutes" to add the name of the thief...this may help track your printer down more easily without being gamebreaking.