MilitaryRP | NEW MAP?

• The Garnut

This is going to be a very half-assed thread, but please be aware that you are still expected to display proper forum etiquette, shitposting will earn you a 1-day ban.

Alright so, @Diomonder has been re-hired to work on the next MilitaryRP map so that I can focus on the current servers' priorities, such as updates and donation support.

We would like to know what you guys want to see in the new map in terms of terrain, objectives, and faction bases. If you like or dislike idea of somebody else's, quote them in your response and provide CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. If you like somebody's response and do not with to elaborate, simply upvote/downvote them.

We are at a complete loss as to what the community wants to see, as it seems we always return to same old cscdesert, no matter how cool of a map we tease/release. What we have right now is an HD recreation of CSCdesert, where outpost is replaced by a town similar to the one found in our old map Chaharikar, and toxic crater would be replaced by an underground bunker.

This is the map Diomonder had worked on a year ago for our community that we had dropped all together (complete urban setting)

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

Thank you!

• Like 3
  • Informative 2
  • Winner 2

I mean I dont play anymore so take this with a grain of salt but here's my opinion on map changes. "An old trick well done is far better than a new trick with no effect." What I mean by that is I think keeping as much of the old style as possible whilst at the same time making sure you only "renovate" what needs to be fixed or changed. So rather than changing/making an entirely new map I would try and start small. 

Again I dont know too much context but this is my opinion.

• Like 2
  • The Garnut
Just now, br0ken- said:

One thing that I feel is necessary if the map is to have more hills/mountains is to make said mountains that you can't climb them

When we had unclimbable mountains on iterations of Taiga and Siberia, people didn't seem to like them, AT ALL. They were actually the largest complaint, which is why I re-released Taiga without these unclimbable mountains. 

• Like 3
  • 300 IQ 1

Map Layout / Terrain

I think if we follow up on what @Ethan posts within the suggestions it'll be a good start off of map layout / objective locations. As for what the objectives will entail of, that needs to be in further / deeper discussion. (IE how company really should play out and balance out etc etc.) 

{I dont know how to link another post but for clarification on what he's suggesting here it is]

As for middle ground terrain, disregarding what the previous map was with the woody lookout, there was simply an unnecessary abundance of trees. In my opinion, following Taiga V1 (AirStrip, ATTC, Town)  will be a good path. Each sides both meet at objectives at the same time. This will result in either side having fair advantages in arrival times for each objective, at that point it'll be brought down to gun fights to see who can overtake the objectives. 

As of right now, hills are an issue. Head-glitching seems to be the reason people arent enjoying war or getting at least a little bit annoyed. Dont make the map 2D flat, just nothing that requires the player behind a hill with a clear obvious advantage sometimes. Im not really sure how to address this issue or fix it per say but its something that should / needs to be looked at. This concludes my idea of map layout / terrain

Objectives : 

Airstrip was a good objective IMO. It tailored to everyone's play style (sniping, CQC, rifling). It doesnt have to be an exact replica of the objective Airstrip but having something similar in that aspect would be something I'd like to see. Another objective that really stood out was the starting factory that replaced ATTC. the isolation of the objective on equally leveled terrain really required alot of team effort to make a good push and something that resulted in success through communication. Old town had the great feel of having both sides in war meet on the outskirts at the same time, no one had a clear advantage over the other and really brought it down to gun play and skill. 

Some objectives we should stray away from is something like comms and company in siberia. Too close and really doesnt give a fair ground to the opposing side that currently doesnt have the objective held down. But then again that was just a 3 objective rotation that didnt really get changed. 

What really made the old maps fun was the dynamic play styles around war time which is the main focus of the server. Having an actual war plan and diversifying different strategies gives it the "Military aspect" 

These are just my suggestions and thoughts I hope that its clear enough, if theres anything misconstrued or confusing please let me know i'll happily clarify 

8 minutes ago, The.Batman (Faustin) said:

. "An old trick well done is far better than a new trick with no effect." What I mean by that is I think keeping as much of the old style as possible whilst at the same time making sure you only "renovate" what needs to be fixed or changed. 

I think what he states is true. As you can probably tell, im more towards Taiga v1

Edited by {GG} CJ
  • Like 4
  • Winner 1
2 minutes ago, Garnet said:

What we have right now is an HD recreation of CSCdesert, where outpost is replaced by a town similar to the one found in our old map Chaharikar, and toxic crater would be replaced by an underground bunker.

I think that's actually a good idea. especially the underground bunker for Toxic Crater.
Since we only have the 2 Factions now, I think maybe RU base and UK base could be facelifted and repurposed into something different.

Maybe have RU as an Alternate Entrance/Continuation of the Toxic Crater bunker. If not too ambitious.
UK I think would be good to keep actually pretty similar to what it is, but instead of having just the couple of targets at the back, Maybe give it a designated Shooting range, Similar to what training facility did in Chariakar. Also no more Mess Hall. It's such a small room that I don't think it would mean much to keep in.

As for Additions, Instead of Keeping OC as such a small, rather ugly, bit tucked behind US base, May I suggest that it gets totally redesigned and placed in the area in front of RU base, Just beyond Death Valley.
I'm talking longer, With more Targets and Obstacles.  Not quite the same as Training facility in Chariakar, I'd suggest more open, and also not as a War objective because of its location.

What I think would be good for the New OC could be like THIS

30 minutes ago, Garnet said:

We are at a complete loss as to what the community wants to see, as it seems we always return to same old cscdesert, no matter how cool of a map we tease/release. What we have right now is an HD recreation of CSCdesert, where outpost is replaced by a town similar to the one found in our old map Chaharikar, and toxic crater would be replaced by an underground bunker.

Id love to see a desert revamp, right now the problem I see that people are complaining about the most is lack of CQC, snipers and people getting annoyed with third person, third person enables people to have the jump on anyone in almost all types of battles (ranged, close quarters etc.). Also replacing the 2 obj's we have now with more CQC would really help and stop people complaining about snipers. Since I played old desert, my opinion is rational towards this map (I know u hate that garnet) but having a revamp for this map is a must have. 

Edited by Coyotee
  • Like 3
9 minutes ago, {GG} CJ said:

Dont make the map 2D flat, just nothing that requires the player behind a hill with a clear obvious advantage sometimes.

I think a Solid way to combat this would be to give ample placing for people to get I guess "Even Ground" with the people at the tops of hills, Without making them stick out like sore thumbs.
The sniper tower on Center Outpost is a good example of sore thumb level.
Since Garnet plans to have Toxic Crater Underground,  that specific spot Doesn't really need to be addressed.
but the Areas near the bases, Like the Hills infront of RU, and US, Those are Prime spots for Headglitching. Instead of coming to a Point, I think it would be better if these hills Plateaud out and were flat on the top. just so that people could have a chance to get up to them.  Maybe have some low cover on the tops that discourage Headglitching and actual Cover play.

These are some small things that aren’t really priorities but could make a small difference. 

Add in sit rooms since right now it’s just underground.  

Add back the Duel NPC since there’s nothing to do with money except for buying ammo. 

Maybe try adding back KH since it’s a good way to practice and most factions used KH in one way or another. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Coyotee said:

Id love to see a desert revamp, right now the problem I see that people are complaining about the most is lack of CQC, snipers and people getting annoyed with third person, third person enables people to have the jump on anyone in almost all types of battles (ranged, close quarters etc.). Also replacing the 2 obj's we have now with more CQC would really help and stop people complaining about snipers. Since I played old desert, my opinion is rational towards this map (I know u hate that garnet) but having a revamp for this map is a must have. 

I agree with having more CQC objectives, as of now if you don’t have an orisis or sniper class, you are already at a disadvantage.

• 300 IQ 1
1 hour ago, ThEoFfIcIaL HiNd said:

I agree with having more CQC objectives, as of now if you don’t have an orisis or sniper class, you are already at a disadvantage.

Yes I agree with this. Not having a sniper or an orsis is currently a huge disadvantage. A lot of people in ooc complain about this.

7 hours ago, br0ken- said:

One thing that I feel is necessary if the map is to have more hills/mountains is to make said mountains that you can't climb them, Mostly due to combining these mountains with thirdperson is a huge crutch and some spots can be op, This was a huge problem in taigaforest imo, However a desert themed map with the newer objectives seem like a good idea, Moving onto bases it would be nice if there's more cover around bases to make basecamping less frequent, That's all I can think of as of right now. 

I also agree with br0ken on this adding cover around bases to make basecamping less frequent. Currently in CSDesert, every time RU 3 caps and pushes up to US Base, US doesn’t stand a chance. If they take a step outside of base they are dead. A lot of people who play in US complains a lot about this.

4 hours ago, chrishuncho said:

Yes I agree with this. Not having a sniper or an orsis is currently a huge disadvantage. A lot of people in ooc complain about this.

I also agree with br0ken on this adding cover around bases to make basecamping less frequent. Currently in CSDesert, every time RU 3 caps and pushes up to US Base, US doesn’t stand a chance. If they take a step outside of base they are dead. A lot of people who play in US complains a lot about this.

Back in the day this problem also existed for AFG, while US does experince this now this is overall in issue with leaving base or techniques leaving base. The corrections in the past were vehicles and much more strict base camp rules with it stating rendor distance. 

12 hours ago, {GG} CJ said:

(AirStrip, ATTC, Town) 

I 100% agree.  These were the best OBJs of any map IMO thanks to the multi floored, multi building layout.  (the chaharikar versions)

AS: Numerous buildings with room for sniping and cqc that also added to the craziness

OG Town: The Chaharikar verison, with the massive construction and village like feeling that came with the large number of apartments, along with the oil field made this OBJ insanely hectic as it was practically a small map within itself.  (If this is like what you're talking about replacing  OP with, thatd be awesome)

ATTC: Cannot rant about how good this OBJ was.  The CQC was like no other OBJ I've ever played, even better than Factory and Company.  The Killhouse inside of here was also the best test of player skill as it didnt rely on people knowing where to wallbang, but more so a 2 floor obstacle course that required good movement and accuracy to get through.  If any of these OBJs were to come back, I think it should be this one

I also feel that keeping the style of play the way it is now would be beneficial.  I do not believe that Ethan's no man land idea would work, that while well thought out, it would be a major adjustment for all players and would encourage people to constantly be in there looking for kills instead of the classic war style we currently use.

This is my 2 cents on the matter, I'd love to hear back on it

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Towelie said:

I also feel that keeping the style of play the way it is now would be beneficial.  I do not believe that Ethan's no man land idea would work, that while well thought out, it would be a major adjustment for all players and would encourage people to constantly be in there looking for kills instead of the classic war style we currently use.

Your first point of it being a major adjustment, it really isn't a large adjustment. The main differences would be tryouts/sims in the now larger bases (not even that much larger, just doors that TP you to areas for those tryouts/sims to take place, simulation rooms), and not being able to walk out around the map and annoy/hang out with people randomly OOC. If you want to talk more about it, I would love to speak with ya on TS. Remember, the no man's land idea could be on its own, not needed for the rest of the suggestion to work, just something I had in mind, that I think would benefit the server. The bases being laid out as I stated would lessen the need for vehicles to counter snipers because there are more exits, and less entrances to the bases making snipers picking a spot to camp and wait less effective as the enemy can just go around.

Of course, as CJ pointed out, my suggestion thread for the base layouts is already up, so if you want to see that suggestion, Garnet, please take a look at it, and I will be willing to answer questions you have if you have any.

Honestly I'm gonna put my input. Maps like CSD with as many hills in quick succession it has, compliments head peeking too much. You basically can't run to the next hill without headpeeking or looking over it in thirdperson for a minute without risking dying. It promotes this really unhealthy gameplay, mostly due to thirdperson but also the design of it. Personally I support having the objectives of ATTC OR Factory, Company OR Airstrip and OG town. These objectives focus on making the conflict on the objective instead of 100ft off the objective holding the hills around it. These objectives also include some of the most coordination as you really need someone holding every angle whereas with the newest town that was used on TaigaForest and siberia, it was highly advantageous to just sit on hills on the outside since the OBJ was very open. The one on Taiga v3 which I started on, had many walls all around with close points to the walls which made them sneaky entrance points and thus needed to be watched. Regarding airstrip and ATTC I have played them on some of the other public GG maps that I searched for hours to find and my god, they were big but CQC focused which meant you really needed coordination from what I saw, which entices people to actually play OBJ and hold shit tight, only sending a small group to push up. With the current CSD it is very open and mix matched with playing areas all over the map, flat here, hilly here, mountains over here and it causes really drastic changes in gameplay but it all benefits one thing, snipers. Snipers work all on TC,CO and even Comms to an extent on CSD which with the OBJ's also being rather tiny, causes either huge opportunites for explosives or forces everyone to spread out and snipe, which personally I don't find very enjoyable nor a healthy playstyle to force upon everyone due to an OBJ being that way. I actually quite liked TaigaForest since it made areas had to actually be cleared of the outside forces of the building then push in for CQC, it wasn't all open and there was decent cover about. 

Another thing I feel should be changed on CSD is the bases, move them back and re-vamp them. RU(Tali) base needs to be revamped quite a bit, It's dull, ugly and still lookes like, well a Tali base instead of RU. US base needs more above ground and possibly the removal of Gas Station's trap door exit/entrance. For my last point on bases, move them back to the corners, this allows for a lot more playing field on the map, and forces those flanking to be sneaky and aware while moving since they are always going through enemy territory.

To summarize OBJ's I feel should be ATTC, Airstrip and the OLD Town. Bases should get an overhaul if they are going to be the CSD ones. UK and OLD RU base should be removed to be either new hotspots or just reduced in overall size to fit something of the likes of garages on Taiga or something along those lines. Bases should receive an overhaul and be pushed back to the corners of the map aswell as removing GS exit for US. Lastly, a terrain overhaul to fix gameplay to be focused on objectives instead of around them, i.e having roads lead open to an OBJ and leaving an opening to the OBJ with hills either overlooking or very minimal and only serving as cover. Also, make hills have a lot of surface area on top so that they have to full commit to a peak if they are running over top, and people can't just run and peak over then run their ass back down.

• Winner 2