DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

I need some help.

D_Rose

I have been looking for a car for a few months now. But i did go into it blind and had no idea what i should get so i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on cars fuel efficient and under about 5,000 USD.

A lot of mid 2000's GM vehicles are super reliable and all around cheap to maintain! A good example are the 3800 motors ( 3.8L V6 ) which provide great reliability and for the most part won't have problems! ( Buicks, Pontiacs, etc ) An example is the 2005 Grand Prix. ( GT/Base Model ) It provides very good reliability, around 28/26 Highway MPG, and around 18/22 City MPG. Which is pretty average for a car for 5,000. If you want pure fuel efficiencynvy you can get a Prius for under 5,000 pretty easily. But something like a Grand Prix has a decent amount of features for the money you spend! Buick Lesabres in good condition are also pretty nice!

• The Garnut

G Rose, if you're looking for gas efficient and reliable for under 5,000 you're right in the Japanese sedan category, my girlfriend just bought a Hyundai for $5,600 and it's been more reliable than my relatively new Subaru. PLUS my memory is refreshed so I can go down everything I had her look at.

These are probably the downright best options at your price range, they won't be super flashy or nice, but they'll fucking last you awhile and won't cost you any extra money in repairs:

NOTE: I marked what is typically the lowest mileage you can get for $5,000)

Mazda Mazda3 2003-2009 (60-100k miles)  not quite AS reliable for alot nicer than the other options.

28/35 MPG city/hwy pretty damn high while looking nice, but they can be a bit more expensive

Any Scion REALLY 2004-2014 (50-150k miles) Toyota tried making hipster cars for young people, and they hated them, so you can buy these REALLY cheap. TYPICALLY  24/29 -  higher MPG due to having boxier, less efficient "hip" designs, but also far newer, modernized, and more reliable so worth the loss.

Honda Civic/Accord 2000-2008 (80-150k miles) Hondas are downright bulletproof cars, great at most everything

Civic at 36/41 if not higher, Accord a bit lower. Went on a road trip with an ex of mine, and I fueled my car 6 times, while she hardly needed 3 stops.

Toyota Corolla/Camry/Avalon  2000-2008 (80-150k miles) Overall should be highly comparable to Hondas, comes down to looks and size.

Corolla is at 34/39 for these years, Camry would probably be 3-5 less, and Avalon probably take down another 5-7 putting it at roughly 23/28. All Toyotas are largely known for being bulletproof. I have a friend IRL who doesn't have too much money, but loves acting like his old Avalon is a racercar, so I constantly see him beating on the car, but he hasn't had any repairs in a year.

1 hour ago, Garnet said:

Subaru

Yes most unreliable cars made due to the engine design its okay for rally as a boxer style engine is easily replaced and helps with weight distribution, on the other hand generally break alot and will go through more head gaskets than I smoke cigarettes.

Moral of the story don't buy a SUBARU they will blow pistons 1 and 2. 

Ayo keep insurance in mind when buying a new car lol

Civivs/corolla/CRV eg may be good reliable cars but insurance premium for a new driver with little insurance history will get you charged up the ass beyond belief for more common cars such as those listed

msg me if you need anymore info ab it

• MilitaryRP Super-Admin
6 minutes ago, Tora1 said:

Prospecting on Garnet Gaming Forums 💀

Id echo what Garnet said. A used Japanese sedan will always get you the most bang for your buck. Civics, Accords, Corollas, Camrys, and Elantras just to name a few. Look for mid to late 2000’s with about 100k miles.

• The Garnut
4 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Subaru Yes most unreliable cars made due to the engine design its okay for rally as a boxer style engine is easily replaced and helps with weight distribution, on the other hand generally break alot and will go through more head gaskets than I smoke cigarettes.

Not sure what this dude is talking about... boxer engines that get maintained properly can make it to half a million miles, far more than most engines in modern cars. The only negative reputation associated with blown boxer engines and their head gasket issues strictly relate to children driving their turbo WRXs to the ground with 0 maintenance, or no oil changes, thus resulting in a blown motor at 50k miles.  Kids tends to buy Subarus more often because they've got their rally reputation, while other Japanese brands like Honda don't have nearly as big of a heritage in the States.

My current Subaru is no Honda, but it's at 70k miles and drives like it's brand new because of perfect maintenance.

1 hour ago, Tora1 said:

Civivs/corolla/CRV eg may be good reliable cars but insurance premium for a new driver with little insurance history will get you charged up the ass beyond belief for more common cars such as those listed

msg me if you need anymore info ab it

This guy also unfortunately doesn't know what he's talking about so please don't ask him for 'more info about it'. Older civics/corollas are probably the CHEAPEST sedans you can insure as they are SUPER safe, reliable, and cheap to repair. The insurance premium for new drivers is ALWAYS going to be high regardless of what you choose, and having a "common car" is actually a good thing. Imagine being a new driver and trying to insure a.. whatever he said "UNCOMMON CAR" such as an Alfa Romeo.

• Forums Moderator
5 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Yes most unreliable cars made due to the engine design its okay for rally as a boxer style engine is easily replaced and helps with weight distribution, on the other hand generally break alot and will go through more head gaskets than I smoke cigarettes.

I don't know too much shit about cars but I do know Garnet is true. Subarus are the way to go. My Brother is actually buying one for himself to use for college. It has like 100k miles but he got it for about 5-6k. The cars in great condition and honestly don't think there are any major issues with it. 

Basically what I'm saying is, if you find a Subaru that isn't complete shit the thing will be perfectly fine and wont have the pistons "explode."

(Don't know too much about cars like I said so if you disagree let me know 🙂

• Community Director

I’m not much of a car guy so I don’t know the make or model butttt 

Whatever you do I think it would be wise to save your money and get a loan, establish credit you’ll need credit later on - see if your parents can get you a small credit card you can put gas on, leave it for a day then immediately pay it off. You’ll be surprised at how easy you’ll get a 750+ credit score - a 5000$ car loan is still yes a car loan. If you have the money already, you can pay it off in 6 months. It’s a secured loan so it’s very safe in your terms and you’ll likely get approved for that small amount.

Also seeing how you’re getting a used car make sure that car isn’t sold “as-is” otherwise you’re responsible for anything broken as your buying it as is, if there’s a small warranty or they say completely new parts and everything is in working order and something does break due to lack of up keep, they would be legally responsible. Always get something written down and signed, verbal contracts don’t mean shit.

You're buying an used car so don’t think 5000$ is it, you have to have money for oil, gas, insurance, registration, and emergency repairs. 

• The Garnut
1 hour ago, Alex Conway said:

Also seeing how you’re getting a used car make sure that car isn’t sold “as-is” otherwise you’re responsible for anything broken as your buying it as is, if there’s a small warranty or they say completely new parts and everything is in working order and something does break due to lack of up keep, they would be legally responsible. Always get something written down and signed, verbal contracts don’t mean shit.

In this case, all older cars that cost that much would be sold "as-is" because there's no sense in certifying a car that old LOL. There's no way in hell to say everything is in working order unless the car is at most 1 generation old, and any repair can eat up 30% of the amount of paid for the car.

If ur gonna buy a toyota make sure not to get a camry cuz when my mother had one back then that thing was an animal killer. Its like it had magnets attached to it and it attached every animal possible. (Still lived for years and still living in different hands.)

Archived