Increase the level needed to become PD (Or, initiate a vote system for some PD roles)

1998Corolla

Description: Increase the level for players to become a Police Officer to (IMO) Level 15-20, and balance the other PD jobs level-wise respectfully. 

Reasoning: I would assume most would attest to this (unless there's a lot of -1's against this suggestion), that the PD level is fairly low for the power the PD has. In my experience, regardless of if there is a mayor or not, there are usually some bad apples in the PD causing issues. Most of the frequent issues I have as a hobo is RDA, or police officers killing with their pistols or stun stick abusing. 

Further problems there are with the PD is if there are no staff able to take sits but there is a mayor, they cannot demote the PD for mass RDA or unwanted warrants / the players on the server are not able to vote demote the PD when they are being unjust. I really do think this has been an issue for quite a long time now, at least 6 months. More recently I think there have been a lot more RDA incidents than usual, and it's typically coming from players that are just able to get the job from their rank. I don't expect to have the level increase to become PD become a solid fix, but I think it would certainly help. 

PD should be the ones enforcing the laws as written, not the ones causing more problems in the server. It's quite easy to become level 9 on the server, and given the duties of the PD should be somewhat reserved for players who have spent a bit more time on the server and levelling up to be able to enforce laws and not abuse the position. 

Additional Information: On other servers I've played on, there has been a vote system to let users join the PD. This may also help curve the amount of people joining PD to cause problems. 

• Agree 2
  • DarkRP Administration Team

+1 for sure. I can't count the number of times lately where I've seen random nobody cops just arresting for BS/troll reasons or just gunning folks down.

Would suck for some players who don't break rules but I think too many people have abused the PD role to keep it at lvl 9. And YES PLEASE for a demoting system, I feel powerless to demote bad cops when I'm a cop and it's such ass.

4 hours ago, StraightWhiteChristianMale said:

-1 to voting system;  if you have played on a server with one, then you know it is the most annoying shit of all time,  I think a solution is mayor being able to kick people off the police force

-1 to the voting system for the same reasons

+1: This is absolutely needed, what is an increase of 6-11 levels for a job that can ruin the fun of people in such an easy way. In my experience I've encountered countless unique players whose only goal is to minge and being a cop is the biggest tool they have for it.

Level 15-20 is pretty reasonable since cops are really useful to balance the whole "Justice ecosystem" however a considerable percentage of cops only care about minging, so a way to prevent this number to act is by increasing the lvl requirement which it would probably create an uphill goal that require some time to reach that will weed out some of these people.

The additional proposed voting system is sort of annoying unless there is an option to hide the pop-up then it's reasonable, but it will not be needed on top of the level requirement increase.

And as for the other voting system being discussed on the comments; It can also be abused even by the mayor, so why dont leave that decision to the staff team? Why give that "power" to regular players that have nothing to lose and can easily abuse this? Being able to be a mayor doesnt mean that you are a role model or that you should have more power over other players (Even if these are minging), so just reserve the right to demote CP's for staff members.

I'm a huge fan of bad cops, but cannot objectively say this is a bad idea.

+1

This could be fixed by making the mayor able to demote cops.

I think a simple demote/vote would be abused to just ensure there is no cops ever.

• The Garnut

I don't know that you spent a significant amount of time on other servers to know how their voting systems work (based on your post) - but allow me to fill you in. The server is primarily made of money farmers with printers; CPs can raid them far easier thanks to the battering ram and the sheer number (PD raid can have an infinite number of players). As a result, all printers by default press "NO" on all votes to becoming CP. This alone is a good reason why I will not move forward adding in a voting system for this feature.

When it comes to raising the bar for accessibility, I would think level 11 is roughly 30 minutes of playtime at MINIMUM and as such, you wouldn't be likely to abuse the feature, but in the event that you were to, we should theoretically have staff at all times of the day to address this. I am still willing to raise the level to become a CP, just help me come up with a good compromise 🙂 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Nutter said:

but in the event that you were to, we should theoretically have staff at all times of the day to address this. I am still willing to raise the level to become a CP, just help me come up with a good compromise 🙂 

I think a great option would be on the off chance there is no staff online A mayor could initiate a vote to remove someone from the police force, once someone has been removed they have a 1 hour cooldown before they can become a CP again, this idea has two failsafes, one make it FRP to initiate a vote without just cause, and two make it so that getting removed from the police force would show up in logs so that it would be easy to catch any rule breakers 

I think the mayor should be able to fire any cop because they are employees; this has a built in failsafe of a mayor who fires too many PD will be unable to adequately recruit

This also has positive RP consequences; a mayor would be able to get rid of officers who aren't in line with their style (nice mayors removing evil cops, evil mayors making sure only oppressors are in their pd)

In regards to level, a minimum level of 15 or 20 would be adequate.