DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Take away Teamspeak

dr_Sneakyy

Keep Team-speak or not  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep team-speak

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/22/2020 at 01:10 PM

I think the garnet team-speak should be removed and we should fully transfer to discord. I know this might seem outrageous to many people but it has to happen. Discord is way better than team-speak in so many ways. 

1. You have to pay to keep the team-speak server going/ Discord it is free.

2. You can still have all the same channels on discord as on team speak.

3. Discord is more user friendly compared to team-speak's, which the interface in my opinion is way harder for someone to learn compared to discords.

4. More people have Discord than team speak to start with.

5 Nobody is ever in the general team speak, the only people that are in team speak are the higher-ups and long,long,long term player no new player ever really stay.

6. There is no use for two voice applications on our server.

This I now would open up the community even more. Way more people use discord and it has a more friendly interface. Also we can still switch all the private channels on Team-speak over to discord so no one loses there private channels. Also I always have people asking me how to join team-speak and half the time they cannot even figure it out and they give up. This problem would be solved with discord because it has a more friendly interface.

I am looking forward for you guys criticism I have been thinking about this a lot lately and just wanted to know what you guys think. Also the military and rust player would have to agree with us as well on this issue. I know this seem radical but I hope you are open to the idea.

Edited by dr_Sneakyy
  • Disagree 3

Although I do enjoy discord and wish it was used more by garnet players, Teamspeak alone is a staple for almost every garry's mod servers alone and there is no real reason for it to be removed. People are already so used to using garnet's Teamspeak server that the switch over to discord would be super unecessary in so many ways.

- How would people stay in a password protected channel?

- What happens when the discord server would get raided by a random streamer? 

I feel as if it is used correctly by garnet. He mainly uses it for announcements inside the community which does have its benefits but Teamspeak will forever be the easier choice to use when it comes to certain aspects of a gmod server.

Edited by Redacted
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I love discord don't get me wrong. It's a great little service, but even after people kept asking for it hardly anything happens on it unless a server has issues. The main issue is while DarkRP may not use it much a good chunk of Mrp/Rust does. It also provides many added administrative tools that outclass most of what discord has, and (though I can't say for sure) I find the quality to be on par if not better at times on ts. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You kind of make it seem like there isn't a discord already.

On any dark rp sever nobody really uses it due to the layout, it's just a hold and shoot not much need for team communication. But a game such as MRP or Rust it has many more uses and people wanting to join for team communication. with channels not just for that but even CSGO and other games (Which gets lot of use as well)

If you and a friend are basing I'm DarkRP it's easier to do a discord call. But if you have ever played MRP you will soon learn all the great uses of teamspeak, such as channel for every faction that is password locked. That's why it's good go have both and don't limit yourself to one simply because you don't like the layout.

Edited by Hofman

i actually prefer teamspeak for being on a server because I can be in a private call in discord and not have to leave my TS channel, only mute it, I know my reason is pretty specific but it happens often enough where i wouldn’t want to have to leave a discord channel to call someone privately, I can’t just simply press my mute bind and bam! I’m all set

-1 for several reasons:

1. Because Garnet hosts Teamspeak, he has far more control over uptime rather than Discord where it's hosted by Discord (you can't host your own DIscord server).
  2. Voice Quality is better in Teamspeak, as it was designed to be a voice chat platform first and foremost, Discord calls with over 10 people in them start to lag.
  3. Teamspeak is far less system intensive than Discord, and a lot of people that play GMOD don't have powerhouse computers.
  4. People don't like change, and while a lot of people use discord, they may not use the Official Discord if Teamspeak is removed.
  • Agree 1

Now, i can see where your trying to get with this, but this simply does not work, although yes,  discord may have a more friendly interface, it does not have the features that TS3 does, that is a big chunk of the reason why the Teamspeak exists, because in TS3 you have way more control over channels and roles than in discord, thus it's more favorable, it's also important to MRP players to have the teamspeak as the discord voice channels or calls cannot handle the amount of people that the teamspeak does, so if your a DarkRP player, you can use your own discord calling or even a discord server if needs be, but if you are a MilitaryRP player, you'll need that teamspeak alot for roleplay and other situations where there needs to be an absolute ton of people in one channel at once.

Edited by Katkot
s p e l l i n g m i s t a k e
Guest Gildarts
On 2/19/2020 at 12:28 AM, dr_Sneakyy said:

I think the garnet team-speak should be removed and we should fully transfer to discord. I know this might seem outrageous to many people but it has to happen. Discord is way better than team-speak in so many ways. 

3. Discord is more user friendly compared to team-speak's, which the interface in my opinion is way harder for someone to learn compared to discords.

5 Nobody is ever in the general team speak, the only people that are in team speak are the higher-ups and long,long,long term player no new player ever really stay.

This I now would open up the community even more. Way more people use discord and it has a more friendly interface. Also we can still switch all the private channels on Team-speak over to discord so no one loses there private channels. Also I always have people asking me how to join team-speak and half the time they cannot even figure it out and they give up. This problem would be solved with discord because it has a more friendly interface.

I am looking forward for you guys criticism I have been thinking about this a lot lately and just wanted to know what you guys think. Also the military and rust player would have to agree with us as well on this issue. I know this seem radical but I hope you are open to the idea.

1. Discord is DOGSHIT for a bunch of people, it is also technically harder to manage

2.  TeamSpeak Voice Channels have Vastly superior audio quality, and unlike discord are shit dosnt just randomly drop or go offline.

3. Discord is not more user freindly. Whats more user freindly then clicking one channel? Probably not 1000 channels and text channels.

4. True, but no.

5. The people who don't stay are usually not staying in the community anyways.

6. Ok we can delete discord because we didn't want one in the first place.

54593390cghci.jpg

Edited by Gildarts

-1 Although discord is easier to use and its free, Teamspeak is a dedicated server so sound quality is improved significantly. Having a private channel and seeing who is all active on the teamspeak server. I only use discord for talking in private or someone showing me a clip. You can easily see who is staff on certain servers with also having multiple tags. Discord will allow you one tag/rank.

• Community Director

-1 -  Is this actually a suggestion? 

TeamSpeak relys on Self-Hosting - meaning reliable Codec, reliable uptime, reliable servers; depending on the host. Not to mention, if there is abuse by a user, discord as a company won't do anything. Ergo a staff member being doxxed, via discord, we had no method of countering this, and discord as a company did fuck all. 

You pay for reliability, if I had a dollar for everytime I lagged out from a discord call, or had shit ping to their overworked server - I could pay off my car. 

You need double the channels, voice and text are separate. 

If you spent 5 minutes on YouTube you can learn, TeamSpeak is way more in-depth and offers way more options, take five minutes to learn something. 

More people use facebook, should we have a Garnet facebook page?

And staff, and TTT players, and rust players, and MRP players, and veterans, and anyone with 100+ hours on any server.

There's also no use for discord, discord is TeamSpeak and Forums for poor people - should we get rid of the forums for a less reliable platform which we have ZERO control over.

Discord is way better than team-speak in so many ways. 

Didn't know discord is has military grade encryption, reliable servers, decent voice codec, detailed permissions systems, and above all a support team that doesn't treat the business like a meme. 

vNjT1EX.png

gnpC7NX.png

• Agree 1
  • Forums Moderator

To me, it isn't a big deal. Although I was never a big TS guy I feel like you can transission really easy. Since we're using this for staff team communication I think sound quality is the better way to go. I will always use discord for personal use but just makes more sense to use TS for this. I'm gonna stay neutral just because I like discord a little more.

• Agree 1
  • The Garnut

Ironically enough I was linked this when I was updating Discord by COMPLETE coincidence. While I think removing Teamspeak is not at all a smart idea, being that we have 200+ daily players on it, I do agree we should use Discord more 🙂  I've gone ahead and gotten started on making Discord a more welcoming/appealing place for our playerbase.

ptp87ZA.png

Leaving this open, so feel free to tell me what you feel I should improve on.

• Spicy 1
  • Agree 1