DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Suggestion | Anti-Cheat

Description: I would like there to be an Anti-Cheat feature put into the server. Many RP servers for different games use plugins that have already been made and are availble for purchase, perhaps there is a good one for gmod that is available. Or have special checks in place for non authenticated players for different unlikely scenarios such as, many headshots/targeted limb shots in a short period with many kills. Or flyhack violations like Rust. Or having a stat like health be higher than possible. It is likely that cheaters will always be able to inject code into the game but you can detect things that only someone manipulating code can do. Most of the cheats are injected lua shit so maybe there is something with that.

Reasoning: Cheaters have no place in our community 

Additional Information: Here are some of my experiences with cheaters on the server 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ia9hCjCEr4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMvbFq1AXlU

EDIT: added youtube videos of my experience, Relevent to show people aren't just cheating in duels and it is affecting RP and basing.
Edited by Actavis_Medicine
added media as example
  • Agree 2

Heyyy so my input on this is that a anti cheat is amazing BUT with "high end" clients that are still being used I don't think it'd work... I'd have to talk to a few people about it but the current system right now is working and people who fly hack or aimlock get banned. On DRP its a bit harder for people with ESP to get banned if they use it well but I don't think an anti cheat would help out against different clients etc.. but this is a talk for @Nutter.

+1 IF it can help out against cheaters without causing much server lag/fps drops. 

There was one on MRP and uh... well it was useless to say the least... LSAC Massacre

Unfortunately this is a very common issue we face as PC gamers as a whole. There's hackers in every single online-based game, heck even on consoles people can get hacks for games. No matter how many systems we or the game's developers put in place, it'll never be enough to keep them out. They'll always find a way around any system we try to implement and is overall not worth the effort.

Just look at CS:GO, the Source engine engine games are especially vulnerable for cheaters since the Valve Anti-Cheat (VAC) is simply not good. 

-1 | It'll simply never hold up, and isn't worth any potential stress it could put on the server itself or the players.

• Agree 1

Hacking is a complete non-issue if you aren't spending millions on duels. The hacks that impact players (ESP, Aimbot) aren't easily detectable and as others have said, false positives can ruin the experience for others (i.e. if you kill 5 AFK people standing next to eachother in a base, making the "too good" detection pointless)

Your suggestion would go over better if you had a suggestion for a working anti-cheat that could solve any of the issues that occur on the server. A tool this complex is not something GG is likely to prioritize developing from scratch, considering anti-cheats exist to be bypassed anyways which leads to every currently running online game to have it's Anticheat serve to ban people using unpaid free-trial hacks, with the premium hacks all bypassing the most complex of anticheats.

This isn't even considering potential strain on the server, though that's entirely dependent on how in-depth the plugin is.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Agree 2
On 5/16/2022 at 9:33 AM, Fetn said:

+1 IF it can help out against cheaters without causing much server lag/fps drops. 

There was one on MRP and uh... well it was useless to say the least... LSAC Massacre

Exactly what fetn said. 

There was an attempt with one on the MRP Server and didn't go well. 

But if there was something that didn't affect gameplay then sure!

• DarkRP Administration Team

I like the idea in general but it’s the implementation that I feel is the biggest issue. If it were possible to accurately identify cheaters without falsely flagging innocent players then I’d be all for it, but even the best and most expensive anti-cheat software has flaws, workarounds, etc as seen in so many videos online. I think the experienced staff have done a fantastic job so far of identifying cheaters and the current system works. So unfortunately it’s a -1 from me for now.

+1

The past week we have had a insane influx in cheaters. My group has been targeted by the same people hacking and coming back more than 5 times and have banned them each occurrence but it was a lengthy process for some. Each time we have lost hours of printing and have grown very irritated. I think we need to make a change or implement some time of new system. Just during this past week look at ban logs for hacking/exploiting its insane.

• Agree 2

+1 

too many cheaters I'm sick of it. I log on to have fun and hang with friends but I get raided by hackers every time   please plus 1 we need this  if we don't have an anti cheat this server will come crashing down.

• Agree 1

I'm going to stay -1 because ive only really ran in 1 hacker (technically he was only just doing a clich) in my day on DRP and ive been playing for a long time. I could see were most of the commenters are coming from with the +1 because we all want this bs to stop but almost all anti cheats have work arounds and if someone hacks you think they would care if they get banned just look at call of duty for example people get banned and come right back. garrys mod is only 6 to 10 dollars and making a new steam account or having multiple alt accounts aint that hard to set up. 

4 hours ago, SGTMoe said:

+1

The past week we have had a insane influx in cheaters. My group has been targeted by the same people hacking and coming back more than 5 times and have banned them each occurrence but it was a lengthy process for some. Each time we have lost hours of printing and have grown very irritated. I think we need to make a change or implement some time of new system. Just during this past week look at ban logs for hacking/exploiting its insane.

Can you detail what hacks were in use? Maybe a video of how hacking affected you differently than normal gameplay?

Because this post reads like "someone NLR'd 5 times, total hacker!" to me. Anti-cheat isn't going to prevent someone from 'targeting' you and NLRing - that's what reporting is for.

4 hours ago, Night1 said:

+1 

too many cheaters I'm sick of it. I log on to have fun and hang with friends but I get raided by hackers every time   please plus 1 we need this  if we don't have an anti cheat this server will come crashing down.

What cheats? This server's been up for over 8 years, no anti-cheat needed, so I find the latter argument unlikely.

On 5/15/2022 at 11:47 PM, Actavis_Medicine said:
Description: I would like there to be an Anti-Cheat feature put into the server. Many RP servers for different games use plugins that have already been made and are availble for purchase, perhaps there is a good one for gmod that is available. Or have special checks in place for non authenticated players for different unlikely scenarios such as, many headshots/targeted limb shots in a short period with many kills. Or flyhack violations like Rust. Or having a stat like health be higher than possible. It is likely that cheaters will always be able to inject code into the game but you can detect things that only someone manipulating code can do. Most of the cheats are injected lua shit so maybe there is something with that.

Reasoning: Cheaters have no place in our community 

Additional Information: Here are some of my experiences with cheaters on the server 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ia9hCjCEr4

EDIT: added youtube videos of my experience, Relevent to show people aren't just cheating in duels and it is affecting RP and basing.

@Actavis_Medicine now THIS is what I was hoping to see. The guy actually noclips through your prop, and proceeds to spinbot. Finally, a single detail on how 'hacking' is affecting the players.

The next step is for @Actavis_Medicine or someone on this thread to find the Anti-Cheat program that stops noclipping, since that appears to be the issue here (after wondering for over a week what the problem is).

I understand the concern when something like this is occurring. With players being able to walk through props, this creates an immediately unplayable experience for those who are trying to base and RP.

I'd like to +1 an anti-cheat. First however, I'd need to see the anticheat tested and working against this specific problem, otherwise we're going to trash the server's performance for nothing.

Edited by ShankNinja
  • 300 IQ 1
  • Informative 1
58 minutes ago, ShankNinja said:

@Actavis_Medicine or someone on this thread to find the Anti-Cheat program that stops noclipping, since that appears to be the issue here (after wondering for over a week what the problem is).

You’ve just reminded me of something I saw quite a long time ago when I set up a private prop hunt server with the guys I used to work with. 

At the time I watched loads of videos on YouTube as I had no clue what I was doing and one of them was about some basic serverside scripts to check for basic cheats. The script that the guy was explaining was checking for when people inject code to allow client side lua files to be run, and he explained how to check if it’s been enabled and auto-kick or ban if it happens.

From what I remember it was only a few lines of code. It won’t block everything but simple and common things like this maybe? That I could get behind if it’s not already been done for sure. I’ve tried finding it but I’ll have a proper look when I get home from work. 

• Agree 1