-1ing because of Minimal Hours

JackJJ

Please end the stigma for minimal hours in a staff application. Yes, it’s a good thing to have a lot of hours, but what’s the point of having a minimum amount of hours that are needed to apply for staff if you’re just going to -1 their application for the sole reason of them not having a lot of hours? They met the minimum requirement, so don’t -1 them because of that. You can -1 for whatever reason you want, but I’ve seen a lot of people and still see people -1 applications because the applicant should get more hours even when they already met the requirement. Thank you for listening and please post your opinion on the topic below.

4 minutes ago, PraetorDon said:

Community opinion is community opinion, even if it's bad, something that will never change.

Pretty sure a long time ago Garnet himself stated that -1'ing because of minimal hours even though they meet the requirement shouldnt be considered a -1. or something along those lines DONT QUOTE ME ON THAT. But the requirement is there for a reason and people apply under the impression that the requirement is 75 hours so when they are met with -1's because "You have minimal hours" Not only are they questioning how much more time they need until they should apply again. But they are also confused seeing as they were told 75 hours put people are telling them to spend more time on the server.

Edit: I also very strongly think that community opinion can and will change. 

Generally I won't take those into account, especially when people are incredibly excelling in other fields (past experience for instance) but in general, hours do not really reflect personality. I used to care moreso about them, but I don't care nearly as much as I used to when I first started as a mod. Hours don't fully reflect someone's personality at all, in fact it's incredibly hard to judge someone based off hours alone. Generally I just don't pay much attention to them.

I do care much more about people's interactions with them. But even with lower hours, it's still very easy to have good interactions with people.

I've known multiple players who have sub 200 hours that contribute more than players who have 600+ hours lol

As long as the person who's applying is competent and shows genuine interest in helping/improving the server I see no reason why players -1 solely on hours played.  

Imma be completely honest with all of you. Anyone who says -1 due to minimal playtime or only 2 paragraphs (Which is the requirement for DarkRP) I will completely ignore. I will mostly pay attention to player interactions and overall amount of toxicity, and that's what us as a community should really pay attention to when looking at a player's staff application. You can be a good staff member without being good at typing out that one dreaded question, why should we choose you over other applicants. 72 hours is also a lot of time to get to know all of the players and the staff members, and that's all that really matters.

• Community Director

"You barely meet the requirements -1". Yes, that is why they are called requirements.. The person has met them, let them apply. My favorite MRP one is "You only play RU, play US more" or "You only play US, play RU more".  On both of these cases, I've completed ignored the response on the application. The Trial Moderator phase exists to give someone a "Trial" Period as staff, if they're bad, train them, if the are beyond that, demote them. -1ing them blankly without giving them a shot is just infuriating. 

I actually made a fair case against that stigma a little while back on someone's app. 

Yea having minimum playtime should be perfectly acceptable considering that's the minimum. It's retarded to hold someone back from staff that you think is a good guy, very helpful, great fit for staff "bUT uR hOUrS aRE toO lOw"

Yeah I remember that. @Kendalwas one of the major reasons I was accepted and for that exact reason. Even now, someone applied for staff, and I provided the same idea. If just over the required hours is too little, then make the required hours higher. I remember the only -1's I received were because I had 1 hour over minimum.

On 3/5/2021 at 12:09 PM, PIuto said:

Hours mean nothing bro

Can confirm. When I applied to DRP staff a couple years ago the minimum was 24 hours. I legit waited until my playtime was exactly 24 hours and I managed to get my application accepted.

As long as the applicant would want to genuinely and competently moderate with, and assist the staff team, I would +1 any day of the week for any person for any server.

Archived